• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Hunter/Gatherer Flicker

Shiftkitty

Registered User
Last night we were watching an episode of "America Unearthed". They were talking about the copper culture around Minnesota and were throwing about ideas of very early contact with the Minoans. I was listening more than watching, but they said the phrase "...5,000 years ago..." and I snapped my head up. On the TV was a shot of an island in the lake. I had a brief flashback of the "crunchiness" of the ground beneath bare feet. I'm on a shore, but not an island. The terrain (forest) looks the same, though. I'm a little tanned and am wearing soft leathers. Things are turning cold and my skins keep me warm even though I am barefoot. (I have moccasins, I'm just not wearing them.) I'm young, maybe 8 or 9, a girl, and I am watching small fish come close to the shore. They're amusing to watch. Mother isn't too far away and I know I'm going to get yelled at for wandering away instead of helping pack things up to move, but I wanted to see the fish one more time before we leave for the season. I hear her call me. I place my hand to the water to say goodbye for now to the fish. They scatter. The water is so cold it stings. Time to go.

It was a peaceful memory. I really enjoyed it. Some people look at the hunter/gatherer lifestyle and wonder how those people could survive. In that memory I got the feeling that "you knew where everything was". You knew where the game would most likely be, where the good roots were, where the sweetest berries grew, and you just went and got them. Only the amount of meat was questionable on a regular basis. It only sounds idyllic, I know. It was a harsh life, but it wasn't unlivable. Sometimes I wonder, if I was ever lost out in the wilderness, could I tap into that memory and survive?
 
Somehow Shiftkitty, I think you could. That's an amazing memory. I've been reading 'Same Soul, Many Bodies', by Brian Weiss. He speaks of a patient who went forward into a post apocalyptic world, where the "cataclysm" had happened long before. Dr. Weiss says that most of us sense the inevitability of such an event. Does anyone think the same? We often presume on this forum that we are remembering the past. Dr. Weiss' book makes me wonder if a memory like yours could be a glimpse of the future. His patient's vision was of an idyllic future existence here on earth. Any thoughts?
 
What an interesting memory Shiftkitty, Thanks for sharing. And what a nice memory have to say. Now I also have had it seems quite a few lives as a Hunter Gatherer among various Indian Tribes and other peoples. Now that old way of living is an intense bigtime interest for me in this life along with all of my Wilderness Wanderings. Now that question at the end of us tapping into those memories is one that I have often pondered about and asked myself and the universe also. Could I tap into those memories when needed for use in this life when needed? It will be interesting what people will say as a reply to this thread.


Now at times I go to some gatherings where they teach the old Hunter Gatherer living with the Earth old skills. And when I take various classes, like braintanning a hide or making pottery or a tracking class or flintknapping or such , how these classes is a breeze to me it seems and I wiz thru the class like that old knowledge is right under the surface affecting everything it seems. Or also like something happens or I go somewhere in my wilderness wanderings and whatever is the outcome, it seems those old memories are right under the surface in the unconcious realm so to speak.


And BriarRose, interesting thought. I also do think that a cataclysm is in our future but that the future is never set in stone but that there is a number of probable and possible futures on account of the actions of the present. But do think a profound cataclysm is coming in which we Humans will have to become closer to the land, the Earth, and the wildlife, etc. I personally have seriously wondered if the old Hunter Gatherer lifestyle was the way we Humans were meant to follow. This is just me amd my thoughts will say. I myself personally believe in that old Hunter Gatherer lifestyle bigtime and not much in this modern way of living. I personally have seen fragments at times of some past life but never a fragment of some future life for whatever it might be worth.


And will add, now even though it was rough as compared to this modern age and our comforts, this old Hunter Gatherer way of life in my opinion must of been wonderful. And I personally would go back to it in a heartbeat. But this is just me.
 
Sorry it took so long to get back here. Car troubles, sigh!


Anyway, I don't believe the future is written. There is a school of thought, however, that says that for every possible "fork in time", a separate reality is created. For example, there is a reality where Oswald was stopped and JFK didn't die in Dallas. There is allegedly a reality where Elvis Presley's parents bought him the bicycle instead of the toy guitar. Basically, every time an option or variable comes up, a reality is created for each one. Somewhere, you chose the red shirt today instead of the blue one. Infinite variables, infinite possibilities. Essentially, Dr. Weiss' patient saw only a glimpse of one of many possible futures.
 
I think that's true. The future isn't " set in stone". Personally, I've been able to sense some of those "crossroads" moments, where my life splits into alternate realities. Like most people, I'm never sure if I chose the right fork in the road. Maybe there is no right, or wrong, answer. To me, it would be very sad if all the wonderful, terrible, mixed-up human race ceased to be. A return to a hunter-gatherer world wouldn't be so terrible, but I would grieve for lost knowledge. If you look at most past life recall, I wonder how many people had the luxury to debate lofty spiritual ideas, or pursue self understanding? I think most of us on the forum are doing just that. Oh well, I'm old, tired, and still packing X-Mas decorations. Bear with me, O Hunter-Gatherers! typing
 
And just think, in another reality you already have them packed, and in another you have absolutely no intention of ever packing them!!!
 
Shiftkitty, I wish you could see me, sitting here in pj's laughing my "head off"! Do you have any idea how I can get to one of the other realities? typing
 
LOL! If I did, I'd be talking to you from the one where I'm a svelte, fantastically wealthy supermodel!typing
 
Back
Top