• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

My family in the woods

Teaching Mommy

New Member
Hi All,


First let me say that I am new to posting here, but I am not new to the forum. I have probably read all of the stories here. I became interested in the topic after my, then, 2 year-old son made the comment, "Mama, do you remember when that man shot me in the woods." We were riding in the car on the way to my mother's house and it kind of confused me and I said "Baby, no one has ever shot you before." He said "Mama, yes they did!" He was very serious and I could see it written all over his face. I just reassured him that no one would be shooting him now because Mama and Daddy would keep him safe. Time had passed and a few months later (or maybe even a year later) we were in the car again and all of a sudden he says, "It was my daddy." I responded by saying, "What did your daddy do?" (thinking he was talking about my husband) He said, "My daddy shot me in the woods." On the inside I was freaking out, but on the outside I calmly said, "T (my husband) has never shot you. You know your daddy loves you he would never hurt you." He said, "No Mama, not that daddy. My other daddy that lives in the woods" Now I would have just chalked this up to his imagination, but every-so-often he will blurt out another fact about this family in the woods. A few other things he has told me are his grandma lives in the woods in a dirty house, he lived with her and his two uncles and 1 aunt, so on and so forth. He also makes comments like, "When I was a grown up I had 7 kids, but they all died and I was really sad." He is 5 years old now and he still talks about this family in the woods. I guess I should add he HAS NEVER been in the woods before. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
 
Definitely sounds like PL memories, and a traumatic death. Have you asked him any questions, like what his (or anyone's) name was? Where were the woods at? Any indication of a general time? (Cars, tractors? or only horses/mules?). What did his family do for a living in the woods? Were they hunters/trappers? Does he have any particular fears/phobias? Hopefully he can tell you more information before his memories begin to fade. This is always so fascinating.
 
Thanks so much for responding! I have tried asking questions about names before, but they don't really lead anywhere he always says "i don't remember" or "You know, my Grandma!" He has never talked about where these woods are located only that there were men chasing him and he had to hide behind a tree so that they couldn't see him. For some reason I get the feeling that this Grandma is his dad's mom, although he never mentioned a mom or dad other than when he stated that his dad shot him. I will definitely ask about there being cars, tractors, or horses/mules.
 
You're welcome :-) Since "there were men chasing him" sounds like more was happening other than just his "dad shot" him (as an isolated incident). I wonder if there was a clan/family "feud", or maybe during a war? Maybe his "dad shot" him by accident during the chaos of a lot of men chasing him during a "feud" or war? And if his kids all died from illness, or were maybe also killed in this feud/war (if there was one)? He also seems to think you know who this "Grandma" was (plus you get "the feeling that this Grandma is his dad's mom"). I hope he keeps talking and you can get some more info!
 
Hi Teaching Mommy,


Very interesting - your son's comments. It could be that his "other daddy" accidently shot him in the woods - hunting. Or mistakenly thought he was an intruder as Isha suggests. Because later said he had seven kids. Have you asked him how they died? The old west was harsh - illness common. Have him draw his other family. See what color he draws the skin, clothing, houses etc. It's a good way to get information without leading him to answers. And keep a journal. They can become very telling in the future. Please keep us posted.
 
Back
Top