• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

My Sister-In-Law

Shiftkitty

Registered User
My Sister-In-Law had what I believe to be a bad PL experience some years ago. I hadn't thought about this incident for awhile, but something in the thread about photos made me think of it:

I used to have a deck of cards that had various symbols and images that were supposed to be helpful in meditating on PLs. While I was strongly (and peacefully) drawn to one with an image of an African mask, she looked at the deck and just froze while looking at an image of a figure of a hand sticking out of the ground. (I'm not sure what the hand was. I've seen it several times in images dealing with Wiccan amulets and symbols but can't recall at the moment what it's called.) She genuinely looked disturbed, so I dropped my meditation and asked her if she was all right. She looked almost on the verge of a panic attack! I got her some water and took the card away, which calmed her down. I asked if she felt comfortable talking about what she felt and she was.

She did not see the hand as a symbol of witchcraft, magic, or anything. She saw the hand as desperately reaching upwards, trying to get someone's, anyone's, attention. I asked her for what, and she closed her eyes and started to get tense, breathing hard. I was afraid she had inadvertently hypnotized herself, and I kept speaking to her, telling her she was still in my apartment.

She finally anchored herself and told of a person who was sick and lapsed into a state of near death. This person had been buried by mistake and came to inside her own coffin. She screamed, cried, and clawed desperately at the lid of the coffin, but to no avail. She died there in her own premature grave.

After finishing the tale, she opened her eyes and asked me to open a window. When the breeze hit her, she relaxed. She told me that two of her deepest fears are small, enclosed spaces and suffocation.

Can't say I blame her!
 
I have heard that this use to happen a fair bit. They use to tie strings to bells in the grave yards so that if this were to happen the person in the coffin could pull the string and get the attention of the watchers.


What an awful way to go! I often think that people that have claustrophobia may have ended a PL this way.
 
My grandmother's sister died exactly the same way. She was a young girl when it happened. Grandma said she had nightmares of her sister screaming for help.


Grandma's family took care of the cemetery, dug the graves, etc. For some reason they dug her up. The inside of the coffin was torn up, her knuckles were bloody, her fingernails broken.


When I asked her about it Grandma started to cry and wouldn't talk to me about it.


I would have been the girl's mother in that life. Although I talk to Dad lots when I go to his grave it is very difficult for me. I freak out, actually.


I have chosen to be cremated when I die. They can do with my ashes as they wish. Just don't place my body in the ground ....
 
That's horrible about your Grandmother's sister! What a terrible way to go. Not my choice of death methods. :(


George Washington had a deep fear of premature burial. He left explicit instructions to his doctors to make absolutely sure he was dead before they allowed anybody to take him for burial.
 
Dad did the same thing, we were not allowed to call the funeral home until he was dead for at least 45 minutes. :(
 
Shiftkitty said:
George Washington had a deep fear of premature burial. He left explicit instructions to his doctors to make absolutely sure he was dead before they allowed anybody to take him for burial.
Interesting Shiftkitty, I didn't know that about him! I wonder why he had that fear...
 
In that era, no one really knew how to tell the difference between a coma and death. So those who were in coma's were buried before they were really dead and they sometimes did wake up from the coma while in the coffin and buried. Due to this, the fear of the "premature burial" was widespread and common.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premature_burial
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top