Hello, I have just found this forum via a link from another website, I had no idea such a thing existed, that there are books on written on the subject & how common the discussion of past lives of children are!
My story is a bit out of date now as my son has just turned 18 but I thought I’d share it anyway.
From about 18 months old he would babble away in his own language (I just assumed it was typical baby talk) but he would concentrate on an area as though he was visualising someone & he also done weird finger movements, not like sign language as only his fingers moved & both hands interacted together, it’s hard to put into words sorry, it was like a series of taps & flicks on his fingers from one hand to the other but at the end of his conversation he would always raise his left hand in front of him & hold his fingers in a certain position, like a strange way of waving goodbye I thought. I asked who he was speaking to & he always replied “The Guard”. Well! When I first asked him who he was talking to I had been expecting a wee imaginary friend with a nice wee name so obviously I got freaked right out to hear “The Guard” - What/who is that?! I felt like screaming like a banshee, bolting out of the house & running like the clappers down the street as far away as I could get- Oh I was feart! But I managed to hide it & ask other questions & found out he was a man older than his dad but not as old as his granddad, so around his forties, & he wore a brown hat & red jumper- Oh great! I’m now seeing Freddie Kruger in my mind! I’m a single parent so it was just the two of us in the house so I got spooked easy, I also have an over-active imagination but he seemed happy & content with him so I just let it take its course.
He was about 2 & a half when he told me how he met The Guard. This is the way he described it:
He was in a car with his first mummy & daddy & there was a loud bang, blue lights, people crying & then he got put in the box, The Guard came & took him back out of the box & said “Hurry, your new mummy is waiting!” he then said he should have stayed in the box & went somewhere else but I had to have him as my baby so The Guard took him to me & put him in my arms & I said “It’s a boy! I wanted a boy!” Then to him “Hello! I’m your mummy!” (I did say exactly that after giving birth) I was so taken aback by his story & the casual way he told it, as though he was telling me how he played with his football or what he had for dinner, that I didn’t probe him any further on the subject. A few times after that he mentioned things he had done or places he had been when he was “the other boy” & that he had felt sad all the time but it was better now that he had the right mummy & he is a happy boy this time.
A year or so later we were on a holiday to Blackpool & he told my mum that there was a chip shop around the corner that he used to work in frying chicken & that’s why he likes chicken nuggets now, he described it in more detail, she was stunned to turn the corner & find a chip shop exactly as he described.
We were spooked but managed to convince ourselves that he had a vivid imagination like myself, luckily school was still a few years away & we found out that he didn’t have a creative imagination at all. I think he was about 8 when he stopped telling me what was around the corner/going to happen next & now he says he can’t remember The Guard or knowing things he hadn’t seen/visited/learnt yet. I had never heard of children of anyone else I know having that experience so I didn’t want to encourage it & make him the odd one out. Sorry if I have waffled on a bit.
My story is a bit out of date now as my son has just turned 18 but I thought I’d share it anyway.
From about 18 months old he would babble away in his own language (I just assumed it was typical baby talk) but he would concentrate on an area as though he was visualising someone & he also done weird finger movements, not like sign language as only his fingers moved & both hands interacted together, it’s hard to put into words sorry, it was like a series of taps & flicks on his fingers from one hand to the other but at the end of his conversation he would always raise his left hand in front of him & hold his fingers in a certain position, like a strange way of waving goodbye I thought. I asked who he was speaking to & he always replied “The Guard”. Well! When I first asked him who he was talking to I had been expecting a wee imaginary friend with a nice wee name so obviously I got freaked right out to hear “The Guard” - What/who is that?! I felt like screaming like a banshee, bolting out of the house & running like the clappers down the street as far away as I could get- Oh I was feart! But I managed to hide it & ask other questions & found out he was a man older than his dad but not as old as his granddad, so around his forties, & he wore a brown hat & red jumper- Oh great! I’m now seeing Freddie Kruger in my mind! I’m a single parent so it was just the two of us in the house so I got spooked easy, I also have an over-active imagination but he seemed happy & content with him so I just let it take its course.
He was about 2 & a half when he told me how he met The Guard. This is the way he described it:
He was in a car with his first mummy & daddy & there was a loud bang, blue lights, people crying & then he got put in the box, The Guard came & took him back out of the box & said “Hurry, your new mummy is waiting!” he then said he should have stayed in the box & went somewhere else but I had to have him as my baby so The Guard took him to me & put him in my arms & I said “It’s a boy! I wanted a boy!” Then to him “Hello! I’m your mummy!” (I did say exactly that after giving birth) I was so taken aback by his story & the casual way he told it, as though he was telling me how he played with his football or what he had for dinner, that I didn’t probe him any further on the subject. A few times after that he mentioned things he had done or places he had been when he was “the other boy” & that he had felt sad all the time but it was better now that he had the right mummy & he is a happy boy this time.
A year or so later we were on a holiday to Blackpool & he told my mum that there was a chip shop around the corner that he used to work in frying chicken & that’s why he likes chicken nuggets now, he described it in more detail, she was stunned to turn the corner & find a chip shop exactly as he described.
We were spooked but managed to convince ourselves that he had a vivid imagination like myself, luckily school was still a few years away & we found out that he didn’t have a creative imagination at all. I think he was about 8 when he stopped telling me what was around the corner/going to happen next & now he says he can’t remember The Guard or knowing things he hadn’t seen/visited/learnt yet. I had never heard of children of anyone else I know having that experience so I didn’t want to encourage it & make him the odd one out. Sorry if I have waffled on a bit.