• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Pompeii? Thera?

Shiftkitty

Registered User
A couple of nights ago we were watching a documentary on Thera and ties to legendary Atlantis. Now, I have always been attracted to Pompeii and feel like some of those casts were people I knew. I have seen the digital recreations of the tragedy without effect. This time it was different. I don't know if the graphics were just more realistic or what, but as they depicted the pyroclastic flow engulfing the place, my eyes began to water. It was a wall of death coming at me and I knew I couldn't out run. Resistance is futile, as they say. As the cloud closed in on the camera, I squinted and gritted my teeth.

As the feeling passed, I glanced quickly at my husband, expecting to see a grin at my reaction. Instead, he was transfixed on the TV. I actually heard him whisper "I couldn't find you."

Pompeii or Thera, one of the two got us years ago.
 
Shiftkitty said:
I don't know if the graphics were just more realistic or what, but as they depicted the pyroclastic flow engulfing the place, my eyes began to water. It was a wall of death coming at me and I knew I couldn't out run.
I can relate to this bit Shiftkitty, I had regular nightmares about it for 25 years until I could make any sense out of it all.
 
Interesting that you mentioned Pompeii. I have always been fascinated with volcanoes, in particular Mt Vesuvius. When i visited Pompeii I didn't feel anything special for the town, but definitely felt something in connection with Vesuvius. If we are talking reincarnation, than there is a great possibility that I lived in the time of the eruption in 79AD, but not in Pompeii (maybe Herculaneum?)
 
I saw the same show and was struck by the realism, only I felt sad to see people die and be able to do nothing about it. Even though I knew it was a recreation, it just felt so real
 
I watched the documentary Pompeii - The Last Day. I felt very familiar with the part when they were trapped under the cloud of ash and pumice, and when the fuller's wife Fortunata was abandoned by her slave and had to find the way out on her own. That feeling of being trapped and panic in the time of the eruption was so familiar. Now, as I said in the previous post, I don't think i lived in Pompeii.


But there is something i didn't quite understand in your post - what does Thera has to do with the documentary about Pompeii?
 
It made me think about Pompeii. I saw the "Pompeii- The Last Day", and while it held my attention intensely, there was something about the Thera documentary that was more realistic. I think the graphics were a ton better and probably was behind the scene striking such a strong chord with me.


My husband and I would both love to visit Pompeii, but given our incomes, I don't think that's possible. He's always been fascinated by volcanoes himself and I think they're an incredible symbol of the power this planet wields.


I remember when Mt. St. Helen's went up. It wasn't the same kind of eruption, but the story had me all caught up. I even ordered a little statue of a cat that was made from ash from the volcano. When I lived in Prescott, AZ, we were in the shadow of Thumb Butte, an extinct volcanic core. I always used to look at it and try to imagine what it was like when it went off and counted my blessings that it was no longer active.
 
Pompeii is a wonderful city but also very tragic. I couldn't stop myself from crying when I saw the "statues" of the people who died there. It's really a painful site to see.


I've also been interested in volcanoes since childhood, but I think it basically comes from Vesuvius. I was on vacations for one week in Sorento (near Vesuvius) and every single day i felt the imminent danger from Vesuvius. I thought how easy the vacation can turn into complete hell if the mountain erupts. It's a powerful and fascinating mountain. I wanted to go to see the crater but I didn't have time :(


I'd like to go there again, but this time to visit Herculaneum to see if it will feel familiar.
 
Back
Top