• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Present Journeys and Nostalgic Memories - France (1940s-1950s)

MaVie

Active Member
I was born in early 1960s in Asian country. My background religion and culture reject the idea of reincarnation. Children, people, they were considered possessed by others soul if they were talking about others life.

When I was in high school I attended French course. I chose French because of practical reason. English was a regular subject at school and I wanted to learn other language. I learnt French faster rather than English. When I was in English class, I had to think twice because I would talk French automatically. However, I stopped practicing French after I finished high school.

I had traveled to France twice; in mid 1990s, then three years later, mainly in Paris and surrounding areas. In the first visit to Montmartre I felt that I knew the old stairs. I assumed that I had seen a photo of the stairs in an old book, encyclopedia. In the second visit, I liked observing small apartments. At that time, I liked Paris same as I liked other cities in Europe.

More than 10 years ago, I attended meditation center, the teacher explained reincarnation concept, covered ‘déjà vu’ feelings, but I didn’t pay attention because I thought I didn’t have clear experiences of ‘déjà vu’. Later on, I was dining in a French style restaurant and I was listening French music. After that I became enthusiastic searching French music on internet. I was glad finding French traditional music and French old songs. I felt the music cured my longing for an atmosphere. Afterwards I found black and white photos of France in 1940s-1950s, and I said in my mind; this is it, here is the atmosphere, I took a deep breath, I experienced mix feelings; happiness, serenity, lonesome. I felt that I found what I lost even though I didn’t know what I lost, what I need to search.

After go through these experiences, I remember when I was about 5 years old, I liked observing pictures, photos of women fashions in 1940s-1950s. I said in my mind; that was probably sign of reincarnation. This thought suddenly came into my mind when we were in living room, watching TV, reading newspaper. I hold my breath to keep from blurting out this discovery. I remember when I was about 7 years old; my mother, my sister and I went to dressmaker. My sister chose picture of teenagers’ clothes but I chose women clothes in 1940s. The dressmaker commented that the picture was the dress of old women. I was disappointed that I had to choose same picture as my sister did. I didn’t want the dressmaker and my mother might be thinking that I was odd.

Later on I remember black and white photo which I saw somewhere sometime very long time ago. Now I know that venue of the photo is Montmartre in the hill near Paris. As I remembered, in the photo, there was a woman standing in the stairs, she rest her hand in the stairs railing, her overcoat and hat were 1940s-1950s fashions, fallen leaves were scattered in the stairs, it seems the scene was in Autumn. I was curious searching the photo, I opened page by page of 30 books series of encyclopedia and I checked other English old books, but I didn’t find it.

Currently when I was busy working on housework or intellectual tasks, I was thinking that I need to accomplish these tasks properly soonest because I will go for a while living and searching something in Montmartre. It’s a cliché that many people have a dream to go to France because of romantic impression, beautiful place. How to evaluate whether a dream is an intention of present life, or influenced by past life?

It’s hard to keep these feelings and thoughts alone.
 
Hello MaVie! Or should I say Bonjour? :)

It would seem that you have a very strong connection to 1940s-50s France.

You probably have had more déjà vu experiences than you give yourself credit for -- you just don't remember them. They most likely happened when you were a child and you took them for granted. Or, you may have been reprimanded for speaking about them and made to feel foolish for having done so. In western cultures these things are often passed off as childhood fantasy by adults and are not taken seriously. But, that seems to be gradually changing.

Currently when I was busy working on housework or intellectual tasks, I was thinking that I need to accomplish these tasks properly soonest because I will go for a while living and searching something in Montmartre. It’s a cliché that many people have a dream to go to France because of romantic impression, beautiful place. How to evaluate whether a dream is an intention of present life, or influenced by past life?
It's not unusual for one to "lose" themselves in thought or while performing a task. I think what happens is that the mind sometimes goes into an alternate meditative state that triggers these memories.

I remember when I was about 7 years old; my mother, my sister and I went to dressmaker. My sister chose picture of teenagers’ clothes but I chose women clothes in 1940s.
This made me smile. Why? Because when I was that age I wanted Lederhosen! Your connection to France is very similar to my connection to Germany.

Montmarte was a very artsy district and was also known for its night clubs. Do you find yourself drawn to any particular style of art or music?
 
Hello AlteSeele,

Thank you for responding to my story. I remember my childhood, example; I pretended often that I liked playing with other children. In my mind, I wonder why others enjoyed running, riding bicycle in the garden, park. I wanted sitting in the bench, in the terrace. I remember, we were in the beach, and my parents suggested me joining my siblings playing in the beach. Then I joined them, I understood, that was I supposed to do. I remember when I was about 5 years old, I liked playing as a vendor in the market selling vegetables, fruits, but my sister was not interested to join. Now, I like watching video and TV program which shows daily market in the villages of France.

Probably French music triggers my memories. The song ‘La Vie en Rose’ and photograph the stairs of Montmartre by Brassai in 1930s gave me mix feelings; serenity, lonesome, sadness. I said in my mind; ‘there you are’.

I read that when we found ourselves were busy digging up the past, then that is the time to stop, because we live in present life. However, the places exist, the same as a century ago. It is possible to return to the atmosphere for a few months. I wish I know what to search there.
 
Bonjour MaVie!

I am not surprised that French music triggers memories for you. If you like"La Vie en Rose", you probably like other songs by Edith Piaf, as well. There are plenty of songs by other artists that are in a similar style: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/f...sons-fran-aises-classic-french-chanson-songs/. I like that style of music, myself.

I read that when we found ourselves were busy digging up the past, then that is the time to stop, because we live in present life. However, the places exist, the same as a century ago. It is possible to return to the atmosphere for a few months. I wish I know what to search there.
I see it more as an opportunity to study history and to learn how people lived. As far as I'm concerned there's never any harm in learning about those things. But at the same time, you can no longer relive that life as that individual, but you can learn to better understand him or her. You are correct in that your focus needs to be on your current life as "Ma Vie". This is a very good and solid attitude to have.

Given that you had a preference for 1940s-1950s fashion and are triggered by a 1930s photo taken at Montmartre, you probably were around during World War II and briefly afterward. If you wish, you can try doing research on the Nazi occupation of Paris, which lasted from 1940-1944. Also research the liberation of Paris by the Allies, which took place in 1944. As a French person, those two events would have had a profound emotional effect on you at the time. There should be plenty of historical material on line about that time period. There also are plenty of novels written about that time period.
 
Back
Top