• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What was that Napoleon?

Mammatus

A Squid With a Rocketship
I spontaneously recalled a memory a couple weeks ago from my time serving in Napoleon's Grande Armée from 1805 (?) to 1815. I debated asking about this here, but put it off to see if I could scrounge up any information. Since I could not, I would like to see what you guys think.

Anyway, during this memory, we were getting ready to begin the offensive on Borodino, "myself" carrying the flag (not the most glamourous job, I know. Yet for some reason, I think it's cool). Napoleon sits atop his horse giving us a "pep-talk" if you will, about how "in the end the spirit wins over the sword". He then begins to refer to the Russians.

Now what he said, obviously was all in French. I do not remember exactly what he said, but I do remember that it had something to do with "walking over the Russians like the ground beneath your feet", and something about "the sedimentation of France".

I only heard bits and pieces between cheering, and the occassional pessimistic grunt. So I was wondering if any of you had any clue as to what he may have been saying? Or if there is even a record anywhere of this. Or maybe one of you were there :laugh:


And since I am on the topic of memorable speeches/sentences/etc, I think this is hardly worth another thread. So, over the summer, I was sitting on my grandparents porch swing looking into the foreground (epicly :cool ). I sort of spaced out in a meditative state and when I went to speak, "Die Ost ist leer" is what came out. I jumped in surprise, and I guess you could say my spine curled. I had heard it somewhere before, and it was almost ominous. I knew it meant something, and because I don't know a whole lot of German, I was reduced to using Google Translate >.>

It came out "The East is empty". Now that it registered as having a meaning to me, I'm even more put-off by it. I have done countless internet searches, library quests, and a number of times attempting to meditate on it, but I cannot seem to come up with anything. It's one of those things that's really starting to bug me because I know it has some importance in a PL, but I can't for the life of me figure out what.


So if any of you have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

(In regards to Borodino, I'm starting to notice a pattern of being involved with invading Russia : angel )
 
Maybe the quote 'Die Ost ist leer.' is used in battle, screaming an order to your comrades..? :confused:


I don't know much about Napoleon or his battles (The only thing I know about it is the name Waterloo and it sounds really weird...), and I don't really think I was there.. But sound to me as though he's telling your army to crush them. (Bad idea..) I can try google search but I think a Napoleon war expert should tell you what you need to know.


Oh, holding the flag job. In war, it puts an automatic bullseye on your head. Everybody will seem to go after you.
 
On my "To-Do List" to find a Napoleon War expert, since I don't know one in my immediate circle of influence. Meh.


Haha. That explains why no one else took the job :laugh:
 
My sis told me that one. As before Kantaria held that flag up there, she was carrying it all the way and everybody went after her. And the few guys before that, well.. They died.


I checked the quote you mentioned, The East is empty. I've got one battle; The Eastern Front.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top