• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Is self-regression safe?

soulmemory

I was wondering whether self-regression using videos on YouTube is really safe for one's physical health? It might be a strange question, but I had many various health problems and traumas in my past lives, and I'm very afraid that if I try self-regression these problems will come to the surface and manifest again in this life. This fear is stopping me from trying a regression, although I really want to try it. If anyone has ever heard of physical effects from self-regression attempts, please share. Also, if anyone knows for sure whether it's safe or not, I will greatly appreciate the information.

I tried Dr Brian Weiss’ 30 minute session from YouTube last night. He takes it very slowly, very calmly. Although, I don’t have medical issues to worry about. Still, he states that, if you’re ever uncomfortable, you can open your eyes at any time. He often reminds you that there should be no pain, no discomfort, through every stage. And, with YouTube, you can easily leave the video, if you don’t feel okay.

As for my own experience, it was... different to any meditation I’ve done before. My body did not feel like my own and my arms sensed... ghostly touches. If that makes sense. They were always down in my lap, but at the stage when he requests you return to the in-utero stage, they felt as though they were tucked up to my chest. At the end stage of the past-life I was taken to, I felt someone holding my hand. I felt the hug my spiritual being (guardian or angel) gave me at the close of the journey. It was... profound.

The thing to remember is that you can just slowly open your eyes at any time you feel uncomfortable. You’re putting yourself into that situation, you can pull yourself out. At any time.

I didn't have any problems with self regression. I started with a couple of regressions guided from tapes / youtube, then I moved to self-hypnosis. Never had a problem.

I wonder how you know about your past lives if you didn't have regressions. I heard people having spontaneous memories, but I believe they're unreliable.

If you have fears or doubts about regression, those will affect your results, so it is better to firstly get some confidence in the process by reading what others say about their experiences, and by watching on youtube regressions experienced by others.

We create thought forms with our emotions, thoughts and beliefs. So it is better to start altered states of consciousness experiences with a neutral attitude of only mild curiosity, to take the experience in without interpreting it as it happens.

I tried Dr Brian Weiss’ 30 minute session from YouTube last night. He takes it very slowly, very calmly. Although, I don’t have medical issues to worry about. Still, he states that, if you’re ever uncomfortable, you can open your eyes at any time. He often reminds you that there should be no pain, no discomfort, through every stage. And, with YouTube, you can easily leave the video, if you don’t feel okay.

As for my own experience, it was... different to any meditation I’ve done before. My body did not feel like my own and my arms sensed... ghostly touches. If that makes sense. They were always down in my lap, but at the stage when he requests you return to the in-utero stage, they felt as though they were tucked up to my chest. At the end stage of the past-life I was taken to, I felt someone holding my hand. I felt the hug my spiritual being (guardian or angel) gave me at the close of the journey. It was... profound.

The thing to remember is that you can just slowly open your eyes at any time you feel uncomfortable. You’re putting yourself into that situation, you can pull yourself out. At any time.

yvettebruneau, thank you for sharing your experience with self-regression! It sounds really amazing and profound, indeed. I have read lots of positive feedback about Dr. Brian Weiss’ methods, so if I do ever gather the courage to try it, I will start with his session. The thing is, I’m afraid that problems will appear not during the regression itself, but afterwards, at any time in the future. I fear that if those memories come back too clearly, my mind will imprint them on my current body. I just don’t know if my fear is completely irrational, or if there is some chance that it could actually happen, and whether it has ever happened to anyone else who had recalled traumatic lives. I guess I’m also worried that I might get stuck in that state of altered consciousness and not manage to bring myself back, that I would not know how to pull myself out if something went wrong.

I didn't have any problems with self regression. I started with a couple of regressions guided from tapes / youtube, then I moved to self-hypnosis. Never had a problem.

I wonder how you know about your past lives if you didn't have regressions. I heard people having spontaneous memories, but I believe they're unreliable.

If you have fears or doubts about regression, those will affect your results, so it is better to firstly get some confidence in the process by reading what others say about their experiences, and by watching on youtube regressions experienced by others.

We create thought forms with our emotions, thoughts and beliefs. So it is better to start altered states of consciousness experiences with a neutral attitude of only mild curiosity, to take the experience in without interpreting it as it happens.

baro-san, I managed to recall many of my past lives spontaneously, without any regressions. Those memories have been with me since early childhood and never faded. But, as you say, they are very unreliable and unprovable, so by doing a regression I hope to get some information that can actually be proven and verified. Also I would like to remember even more lives, since it helps me to see the whole picture of my own karmic path and what I can possibly do to improve my current life, by learning from all of my past mistakes.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I agree that we create thought forms with our emotions, so I know I have to get rid of my fear first, if I want any positive results from a regression. But I still remain fearful, no matter how much I try to convince myself that nothing bad can happen.

Last edited:

baro-san, I managed to recall 30 of my past lives spontaneously, without any regressions. Those memories have been with me since early childhood and never faded. But, as you say, they are very unreliable and unprovable, so by doing a regression I hope to get some information that can actually be proven and verified. Also I would like to remember even more lives, since it helps me to see the whole picture of my own karmic path and what I can possibly do to improve my current life, by learning from all of my past mistakes.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I agree that we create thought forms with our emotions, so I know I have to get rid of my fear first, if I want any positive results from a regression. But I still remain fearful, no matter how much I try to convince myself that nothing bad can happen.

Then, my suggestion is to watch a few youtube regressions, until you get confident. You could also use the widely recommended method of surrounding yourself with protective white light. You don't need to fully believe it, just not to fully reject it. Then, when you do your regression, ask for a past life where you were happy.

@soulmemory - I'm only just starting on my journey of rediscovery, so I don't yet know if there's any trauma to be experienced. But, I've spent the most part of today analysing what I saw last night. When Weiss guided his audience to experience the biggest moment of their chosen past life, I pictured a kiss with a soldier under the moonlight. The more I looked back on it today, the more I considered it to have been an imagined moment instead of true memory. The starting point of my regression, walking a cobbled alleyway in burgundy t-bar shoes, felt as though I had honestly lived that. I had been allowing myself to fantasise a little beforehand, so I need to try again with a clearer mind. See if I return to the same cobbled alley, with my kind-eyed young man. And see if I did actually steal a kiss from a homesick soldier...

Perhaps, what might be better for you, is a guided regression with someone there in-person, who has the right expertise to bring you back out safely. Because I don't have any health concerns, I can quite comfortably put myself through regressions on my own. If I ever want/need to go deeper, I might look at in-person sessions, just to have the... security of another person there, in case I come across something traumatic. I keep sensing there might be, with my past-life experiences coming from WWII so far, but because I'm new to the whole experience my mind is keeping those barriers up for now. Most of what came through yesterday was hazy, except for the burgundy shoes. They were distinct, maybe a favourite pair.

I don’t think spontaneous memories are less reliable than regressions, on the contrary.
You may be right. During regression the regressed subject's perceptions are inadvertently influenced by the facilitator's and witnesses' beliefs.

I believe that self regression is the most reliable.

Hmm, I'd say 99.9% of what I've found has come from spontaneous recall. It was decades before I even considered regression. By that time, it was pretty much useless, it tended to confirm what I already knew, but was that simply because it was what I already knew?

I guess it's a case where different approaches work best for different people. There is no right or wrong way.

I think self-regression is better, when going into it with only a seedling of an idea. Going in with a head full of ideas that you've planted yourself isn't wise. Especially if you're not used to meditation or hypnosis, or have an active imagination. You end up clutching at straws that give you nothing substantial or concrete. Spontaneous recall, on the other hand, is when something comes without prompt, and so offers stronger evidence than a trip through your imagination while under meditation. Like, how you can be sitting there doing very little or listening to music, and a song evokes an unwarranted emotion. Or, a name you've maybe never heard of comes to mind.

In my regressions, I got a few clues; brunette, burgundy shoes, cobbled streets, "Emilie". Nothing to pin down where/when/who I was. The rest was probably just my imagination trying to fill in the blanks as best it could. Spontaneous recall has led me to believe the kind-eyed young man from my first regression was an accordion-playing busker, who played with two brothers/companions and "Emilie" came upon them one day. I did get the name "Jacob/Jakob" during my 2nd regression last night, and it is a name that has often conjured up feelings of loving and comfort. So, perhaps, a lead that I've ignored, until now.

I'm keeping notes of everything that stirs emotions or feelings within me, whether through spontaneous recall or regression. Then, when I get a few minutes, I try to put the puzzle pieces together, sometimes hammering them to try making them fit where they just don't belong... :rolleyes:

Well ive done my first self regression. I dunno how well I did. Phone rang and disturbed me a bit. Iooked at my feet, they were in sand and I had what looked like female sandals. Thats all i got I dunno if my brain made it up oh and a brick fountain in the sand

Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my question, all this information is very valuable and useful! I will keep trying to contact my spirit guides, although I've never had any success before, and I suspect I might not have any guides at all. I'm glad that many people had such good results with self-regression, and that no one seems to have any traumatic experiences or long-term damage so far.

Back