• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Past Life in France

Alix

Hi, this is my first post. I'm glad I found this forum as I'm unable to discuss my memories and beliefs with everyone else. It is not an accepted belief in my country and people would laugh at me or think me deranged if I started this topic. I've researched it since and I've come to believe that I have indeed lived before.

When I was around 3, I started mentioning that Alix S. was not my real name. I said another name, a French one. The surname I kept mentioning would be familiar to those who studied French history. Of course that was not the case in my family. But I kept telling them my name was XY and they humoured me. I kept telling them that I had a husband who had been wounded in the war and we had to stay in the countryside for a while in order for him to get better. One day, when I was about 4, I scared my mom very much because I started screaming all of a sudden and crying with no reason. When she finally managed to console me, I told her that my husband was dead. Of course my mom tried to laugh it off and told me to stop pretending that I was a great lady with a husband and children. She said if I didn't stop she would take me to a mental hospital. She was joking of course, but I was scared and from then on I stopped talking about my "other family"

As I grew up I had many flashbacks/memories/dreams and later when I went to France I experienced very strong deja-vu feelings. I was born in the first part of the 18th century in an aristocratic French family. I have very clear memories about my life as a little girl, raised in a beautiful chateau in the countryside. I have a very vivid memory of myself in the garden of the castle. I was in the arms of my nanny and I must have been about 2 years old. I had barely started talking and she was telling me the name of different objects: This is a rose, this is a statue, this is a fountain....It was summer and I remember the sunlight reflecting on the water of the fountain. I remember telling her to put me down and I went to the fountain and stated playing in the water and laughing because I saw my reflection. I remember one day hen I was about 6, my parents were back from court for a short while and we were all in the courtyard of the castle, my mother, father, sisters and brothers and our servants. There was a group of poor people there, they were peasants from the village and my mother was handing them presents, to some of them money, to others food or clothes. Then she asked my youngest sister to give some presents, and she did so. I remember one of my brothers whispering to me "Our sister is charity personified!" and we giggled and laughed.

Other memories are from the period I spent in a convent for my education. I remember one of my sisters was married and at court and I wanted very much to be like her. A marriage was arranged for me with an aristocrat. His rank was higher than my own and I thought it very funny that I would outrank my parents and sisters. I became a lady in waiting at the court of Louis XV and had 6 children, 2 of them died young. I had many lovers and my husband had mistresses but it did not matter because in our society marriage had nothing to do with love. We were more like partners in a firm. My social life and position at court mattered immensely to me and I remember suffering intensely at things that I perceived as slights and/or humiliation from other courtiers. My husband was wounded in a war and died about a year later. I was devastated not because I loved him but because I thought that by losing him I would lose my position.My whole life revolved around the court. It seems to have been a very happy life and I would give anything to get it back. When I visited Versailles it seemed like a homecoming. I am not an emotional person, I never cry and I don't like to display my feelings in public, but when I went to Versailles for the first time I was crying with joy and with the feeling of belonging.

Welcome to the forum, Alix. You have a lot of detailed memories. Do you have memories from any other past lives?

Welcome Alix. Wow you have a great handle on this past life. It is good you remember the childhood episodes. Make sure you keep a written journal; organize your memories and thoughts, I've found this to be very helpful in furthering the recollections.

I just returned from France. I was working on a past life in the southern region near Marseille. It was a wonderful time and full of numinous things. But, the real thrill came in the final three days I spent bumming around in Paris. Particularly in the Montmartre area. To me the whole country is a beautiful and special place for my soul. I can see how your visits to Versailles would trigger wonderful memories.

Thank you for sharing. Please feel free to elaborate on them too. I would like to hear about the experience of your visits. Memories are interesting but, the discovery process is also fascinating.

Tman

Hi Alix

Welcome to the forum. Great story! Do you know any people now that you knew before? Sometimes this happens. Why do you think you have been moved to write about it now? Do you see any connections between then and now?

Keep us posted!

wellllllcome

Thats a very lovely story you wrote there.

I was starting to imagine the things you said.

I will visit Versailles for the first time, in about two weeks,

looking forward to it!

Elisa

argonne1918 said:
Welcome to the forum, Alix. You have a lot of detailed memories. Do you have memories from any other past lives?
Thank you everyone for welcoming me to the forum.

I do have memories from other past lives. They are not so detailed because the other lives were rather unhappy and I prefer not to go there. I had bouts of depression and I try to avoid anything that might trigger them.

I was a man in the 1780s. A very poor peasant and I took part in a peasant revolt that ended badly. My memory is of the night before an attack. We were huddled together near a big fire and planning the attack on the next morning. Somehow I knew the date, it as November 8. When I later researched that peasant revolt, sure enough, the last attack which ended in the suppression of the revolt took place on November 9.

In the 1830s I was a woman in a small town in the Austrian Empire. My husband was a doctor. I remember a feeling of crushing boredom, endless days with nothing to look forward to. I had no children and my husband resented me for it. We had little money and struggled to maintain our position.

The saddest life I remember was in the late 1870s, in France again. I was a young woman, 17 or 18. I worked in a factory and was very poor. I had no family and no friends and barely enough energy to go to the factory and then return home. I was ill and cold and had no money for a fire. I was lying shivering on my bed, thinking that I must get better because if I lost my job I would no longer be able to pay rent and my landlady would throw me out. I died of TB in that life.

Tinkerman said:
Thank you for sharing. Please feel free to elaborate on them too. I would like to hear about the experience of your visits. Memories are interesting but, the discovery process is also fascinating.

Tman
I've been visiting France every year since I finished college, 8 years ago. I noticed that several places and objects act as triggers for memories and sensations. For instance, I went to a museum which has several rooms decorated in the 18th century style. As soon as I saw a certain object ( it was a sort of chaise-longue), I remembered having an identical one in my home. The chateau no longer exists, but I had an incredible sense of joy and homecoming when I visited the village where it used to stand. A certain spot in the gardens of Versailles triggered a wonderful memory of one of my lovers.

As I said before, as a little girl I kept mentioning my name from a previous life. When I grew up and discovered internet, I googled it, just for fun. It turned out that XY really existed. I began to study reincarnation and I realized that I was indeed experiencing past lives memories. XY was not a famous person, but mentions of her and her family appear here and there in diaries and memoirs of the period. Most of the books are available online on the site of the French national library. It was an incredible feeling to find bits and pieces that fit in with and confirm my memories.

My memory of my past life as a factory woker was triggered by a walk in a certain part of Paris, which was a working class neighbourhood in the 19th century. I had a horrible feeling of sadness, depression and misery. I had a sudden panic attack near a building and I later found out that it had been a hospital for the poor in the 19th century. I'm not sure if she died there but it's very possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
tanguerra said:
Hi Alix
Do you know any people now that you knew before? Sometimes this happens
Yes I do Tanguerra! Although I'm not able to talk about it with them, since reincarnation is really not accepted in my country. My friends in France are more open and I've had PLRs there.

Anyway, my mom in this life was my second daughter in my 18th century life. And we have the same issues! In that life she was a very unconventional person in a rigid society and I struggled endlessly with her to make her conform to the rules. Of course she never did and this led to many misunderstandings and conflicts in that life. But she was so outrageously funny that I ended up forgiving her every time, although I felt very disappointed in her. In this life it's pretty much the same. I often feel that we'll never be able to understand each other. From time to time something she says, the way she laughs or a twinkle in her eyes trigger a memory of that little girl. The funny thing is that my mother as a little girl was a blue eyed, blond little angel in a family of dark haired and dark eyed people. And in her pictures as a little girl she looks a lot like my daughter from the other life.

My nanny who raised me and whom I loved more than anything in my previous life was my paternal grandmother in this life. My favorite sister then is my best friend now.

tanguerra said:
Why do you think you have been moved to write about it now? Do you see any connections between then and now?
Keep us posted!
I've been having a difficult time in the past year. I lost the job I've had for 7 years, which I loved, and I absolutely hate my current entry level job. The political situation in my country is very precarious and this affects the job market. My personal life is not great at the moment either. So I'm trying to avoid depression. Thinking about and remembering my past life in the 18th century helps a lot. My current life was pretty happy and easy until a year ago. And I'm wondering why I had only one happy life in the past, while the others were so hard and unhappy, and if I'm headed that way in this life also.

My greatest wish would be to leave my country for good, go to France, study art history and work in a museaum or as an antiques dealer. This is impossible at the moment and I doubt it will ever be possible. So I feel there is little I can do right now to improve my situation.

Connections between then and now? Yes, a lot. I always had a feeling of entitlement, as if I had a right to expect the best in life. I often feel as if other people are here to serve me and I'm extremely annoyed and angry when something doesn't go the way I want. I come from a middle class family and I was never spoiled, in fact my parents often denied me stuff I wanted as a child. I suppose they were trying to teach me that you can't always get what you want. In spite of my upbringing, I've always wanted stuff I couldn't have. I would love to live a life of luxury and never work again. I also have a hard time taking orders and I get offended easily. In my previous job I had reached a management position and it felt great to be the leader and now it's a big humiliation to be working again as junior staff. I think all this stuff is residual from my past life as an aristocrat.

Thanks Alix, I love reading your posts, they are heartfelt and sincere. May I ask what country you live in now? Are there any nationality issues in your past life that could relate today?

Never say never on attaining your dreams... keep them in focus, they must just come about (manifest) in ways you least expect.

Tman

Tinkerman said:
May I ask what country you live in now? Are there any nationality issues in your past life that could relate today?
I'm from Eastern Europe. A very corrupt country, politics and money dictate everything. People lose their jobs because they don't belong to the party in power. It's a mafia state, really.

I can't think of any nationality issues in my past lives. The only thing that comes to mind is that I'm so attracted to France because I've lived there before. And of course, I don't feel like I belong in my country at all. The ones who succeed in my country are crooks. I don't have the stomach for the kind of things needed to succeed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Alix and welcome to the forum!

I find your story quite interesting. I wonder, how do you get memories? Spontaneous flashbacks, that is, you don't know what the trigger is or you are aware of the trigger?

Also I'd suggest you to draw what you saw; it may help you later when comparing it with the actual place.

Alix said:
I'm from Eastern Europe. A very corrupt country, politics and money dictate everything.
Well dear, politics and money dictate everything in every country in the world :)

About having happy lives in the past... I remember one life in particular that was very good, not in terms of money but in terms of happiness. I'd even like to call it my happiest time on Earth. But then again, even though I didn't have a particularly good life back in 18th century, I do remember having some good time. So I guess every life has its ups and downs, the only difference is how we remember them.

Alix said:
I'm from Eastern Europe. A very corrupt country, politics and money dictate everything. People lose their jobs because they don't belong to the party in power. It's a mafia state, really.
I can't think of any nationality issues in my past lives. The only thing that comes to mind is that I'm so attracted to France because I've lived there before. And of course, I don't feel like I belong in my country at all. The ones who succeed in my country are crooks. I don't have the stomach for the kind of things needed to succeed here.
I live in an African country so I know how you feel.(same sort of situation)It can be very depressing at times.I have not really ever traveled so can't say I feel drawn to a particular country.But if there was anywhere I'd like to travel France

and a few other European countries. Just a word of caution the grass is not always greener on the other side.If you feel drawn to France though maybe its where your meant to be.Best of luck either way

jonathan21 said:
I have not really ever traveled so can't say I feel drawn to a particular country.
You don;t have to travel in order to be drawn to other countries. I have travelled a lot, yes, but out of all the countries I visited I felt drawn only to Italy. The other country is France, but I've never been there.

MaritaMari said:
You don;t have to travel in order to be drawn to other countries. I have travelled a lot, yes, but out of all the countries I visited I felt drawn only to Italy. The other country is France, but I've never been there.
Maybe Drawn is the wrong word more longing for might be better.

Actually, love and hatred are the two sides of the same coin. Is there any country or place that you hate profoundly for apparently no reason?

Thats a bit of a hard question to answer.Would not be sure if my answer was past life related or from watching tv. I get vivid dreams but never really get names or times.only images and maybe sounds.I need to find time and quiet place to do a full self regression.do you hate any country or area.

Hello and thank you for sharing. I am also new and reading your recollections makes me feel less crazy because I know I am not the only one who KNOWS what I KNOW, you know? :) Hugs and light. P.S. Extra bonus points if you're Catholic and just so happen, like me, to carry the fear and guilt/shame in admitting you're more than who you present to be.

It's very interesting to read your story of your past life in France, because I have always been drawn to France for some reason. I had always wanted to visit France, and when I finally did I felt like I was at home.. I was so blissful and happy there, and I felt pretty depressed once I got back to the US. I don't have any memories of past lives, but it makes me wonder if I did live in France in a past life as well.

Wow, looks like a lot of folks with some 'history' in France are showing up! Welcome to the new ones, I'm glad you spoke up.

For those who might not have clear memories yet, is it possible at this point to describe what it is about that France that gives you that 'drawn to' or longing feeling? Is it certain areas? Do you have any 'hunches' as to time period?

bb32 and Alix and those others around who might have been back to France this lifetime, you're welcome to share your experiences in this thread too:

Of course, the details are yours and up to you to share.

bb32 said:
It's very interesting to read your story of your past life in France, because I have always been drawn to France for some reason. I had always wanted to visit France, and when I finally did I felt like I was at home.. I was so blissful and happy there, and I felt pretty depressed once I got back to the US. I don't have any memories of past lives, but it makes me wonder if I did live in France in a past life as well.
Hi bb32

Welcome to the forum.

It could be. Strong, inexplicable emotions like this are sometimes indicators. If you had to imagine what sort of life you might have had in France, what would you say?

Wow. I actually found this (and just joined) because I specifically have a strong hatred for France. >.< I've always been like this.
Objectively, I've found it interesting and enjoy studying it. But the only I would ever want to visit is for the Paris Opera House. The thought of visiting gives me goosebumps.
On the flip side, I've always been intensely drawn to Italy, with a specific interest in Ancient Rome. I took Latin in high school and it came pretty easily to me. Italian comes even easier.
I'm still new to this and getting used to it, but I'm eager to learn more.

Hello Nyctea, welcome to the forum. We look forward to your thoughts and stories. France has always been of interest to me in a past life sense. I know I have ancestry there, but it is deeper than that. I love the mystery! I hope you find some answers, if we can be of help just ask. Blessings ~T

Back