• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Reincarnation and the Bible

Although I too was raised a devout Catholic, and attended private Catholic school until college, I have for some unaccountable reason been drawn to reading, understanding and feeling compassion for belief systems which have been ruthlessly stamped out by Romans and Christians. Thus, I feel a great deal of resentment toward those who have steam-rolled over the Druids, exterminated the Albigensians of Langeudoc, persecuted the Protestants and tried to convert the nature-loving natives of the new world. For me the bible is little short of a highly edited compilation of books, legends and letters designed to promote, control and enforce the exclusivity of one belief system over all others. After significant study, however, I have come to believe that the original intent and foundation of what is in the bible was influenced 2000 years ago by a 500 year old philosophy, which is now commonly known as Buddhism. I also believe that the concept of Reincarnation may have been an integral part of early Christian beliefs, and that the earliest so-called "saints" felt it necessary to reinterpret some of the teachings and form dogmas that would be more universally acceptable to the kings and potentates of the Roman world. Over the centuries so much has happened to the Bible that I no longer feel it is a valid authority in matters of morality or philosophy, and that there is far more to be gained by reading Plato and some of the other ancient Greek philosophers.

There is presently a large amount of rhetoric coming from the Vatican as well as from Protestant leaders about the danger of secular beliefs and influences on Christianity, which is based on the rather perverse idea that morality doesn't exist without the bible and without the fear of God. What this implies is that non-Christians are immoral. Yet, anyone who has met certain Buddhists, Hindus, Janists, Atheists and even Islamists would know that this isn't true. So, my question is, what authority or credibility does the bible have regarding Reincarnation?

Nighttrain,

You raise some interesting points.

We may never know the entire story of why Constantine issued the edict that made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire. History suggests that the Empire was in danger of fragmenting due to various issues. Membership in the Christian Church was on the rise, especially among the Roman army stationed to the north of Rome. Some say that Constantine first called for tolerance, then acceptance, of Christianity to secure the loyalty of the army. History also shows that he did not submit to baptism until shortly before his death, and continued to worship the so-called pagan gods concurrently with his Christian "faith".

As for his calling for the various Councils of Nicaea, it is pretty well established that his goal was to unify the Church fathers of that period. He wanted them to come to consensus. Essentially, he didn't care WHAT they believed, as long as they all believed the same thing. Reincarnation was most likely a minority belief at that point in the Church, and thus was banned in order to reach that consensus sought by Constantine. And given that the Church was now free from persecution by royal edict, the members may have had sufficient reason to discard any belief or practice that would prevent consensus.

You mentioned the question of morality. Some people who believe in reincarnation might wrongly be accused of moral relativism. Murder is murder, some might assert, and will be punished in this life or an afterlife. However, no one can rightfully judge a person without knowing what was in the person's heart and mind at the time the act was committed. Ultimately, only God can make that judgment. Adherents to the belief in reincarnation say that justice will be done at some time in the future, be it in the current life or some current life.

Unfortunately, to deliberately commit an act of wrongdoing and leave it up to divine justice is gambling that one can "read" God's mind. For example, one might say that John the Baptist was fated to be beheaded as a karmic debt for acts in his life as Elijah. That's plausible, I suppose. But how do WE know? Now if that was the case, and John's execution was predetermined, is Herod guilty of murder for ordering the beheading?

In the long run, we must all make our choices because we have free will to do so, and based on whatever the mores of our cultures. If our sense of right and wrong goes against the grain of the society in which we live, only God can make a just decision.

In modern history, it might be said that Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. committed acts of civil disobedience to protest the laws of higher authority, and felt justified in doing so because earthly authorities were going against moral and spiritual laws. We can agree with their point of view, but their acts can only be judged by the Highest Authority.

It is interesting that the one truth that appears in each and every religion is the Golden Rule, no matter how it is worded in the scriptures of every religion. I believe that is the standard by which we all are judged.

We may never know the entire story of why Constantine issued the edict that made Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire.
Hello, Khandisi.

The story goes that prior to the battle in which Constantine firmed himself as Emperor, he saw a cross in the sky, and was advised to paint the cross on the shields of his soldiers if he wished to be victorious. It was this powerful experience that guided his conversion, or at least that's how the story goes.

It was Constantine's desire that there should be a consensus, yes, but I believe the main reason behind the exclusion of reincarnation in the doctrines and dogmas of what became the official Roman Catholic religion was the thought that by preaching it this would enable man too much time to repent for his sins. "The sooner the better", I believe, was the thought behind such an exclusion. But sadly, without the concept of reincarnation, indeed we are left with the image of a merciless God who would condemn a portion of His children, of His Creation, to a lifetime of eternal suffering in a place called "hell".

I doubt not that such a place exists, though personally I believe that most of what we rescue from our past errors takes place in each incarnation via the Law of Karma. The good news is that no hell is eternal... :thumbsup:

Khandisi, thank you for your thoughts, we think very much alike! I too was born and raised Catholic, kindergarten all the way up. As a high school seminarian "Gregorian," I thought I had found all the answers I needed spiritually, until a woman came along:rolleyes:! I could never reconcile the beauty of this relationship with the abstinence required... it made no sense, still doesn't! But I was not willing to give up the traditions that, for me, were so sacred and heartfelt. It is hard for someone on the outside to understand this beauty when every thing the church does seems so stupid, archaic and pompously arrogant. Yet my spirit soars during the mass. And I can say beyond a doubt it is a result of a past life as a priest at the Abbey Melk in Austria sometime in the 18th century. To me this love-hate relationship with the Catholic church is some how apart of my soul's personal journey. I see all the contrasts and paradoxes and still I know my Christianity is an integral part of who I am now and who I was in the past.

Like you, for the past four years I have studied Buddhism. My yearly retreats to the Shambhala Mountain Center have led me into incredible discoveries. My faith, whatever one chooses to label it, is beautiful and it is solely mine. And as each day leads into new horizons, the roots of my Christianity, the wisdom of my Buddhism and the uniqueness of me, are on one heck of a soulful ride. In the depths of it all I have come to learn so many things; above all the compassion and tolerance for everyone's thoughts and beliefs. One of my mentors, Fr. Richard Rohr of New Mexico, says that rather than condemn the beliefs of another instead show compassionate desire to understand. It sure made sense to me.

Nightrain I too feel that resentment towards the church for its cruelty and horrid behavior to others... it is and was evil. I've read several books on the Cathars and it only led to anquish over the utter stupidity. We think very much alike. Thank you for your thoughts.

Well I best quit, thank you Nightrain, Khandisi and others for your most valuable input on this subject. Religion is such an ignition point for some and discussions can often become lost in personal grudges... but here the thoughts and postings are so relevant and helpful.

Blessed be!! More later

Tinkerman

Tinkerman, my very dear old friend, what harm can there possibly be in raising one's thoughts to that which is sublime? And which is unfortunately so difficult for so many people to believe in? In the realization that there is a spiritual realm? That there is a Creator God? That there is His first created son, who came into this world in an age of barbarianism even greater than today's to teach a lesson of love, tolerance and understanding?

The great beauty of it all is that it is all a part of the same "truth". That we are eternal beings. That even beyond physical death we persist to exist as individual consciounesnesses, in a spiritual body that for whatever I may be able to know might be of a dimensional nature or even consist mostly of neutrinos...

We don't have the answers, my friend. Personally I believe it will still be many, many years before science might prove such a wondrous reality to be true. What pleases me, however, and fills me with delight, is that you, like me, know this "reality" to be true, by all we have experienced and so deeply pondered upon, amidst us all here, for a good number of years now.

I salute you, my dear old friend...

Charles

The Concept of "Hell" Everlasting

A few years back - I ran across a PBS documentary titled, The Bibles Buried Secrets.

In this landmark two-hour special, NOVA takes viewers on a scientific journey that began 3,000 years ago and continues today. The film presents the latest archeological scholarship from the Holy Land to explore the beginnings of modern religion and the origins of the Hebrew Bible, also known as the Old Testament. This archeological detective story tackles some of the biggest questions in biblical studies: Where did the ancient Israelites come from? Who wrote the Bible, when, and why? How did the worship of one God—the foundation of modern Judaism, Christianity, and Islam—emerge?
On the development of monotheism in Israel

• The Israelite religion was not exclusively monotheistic from the beginning as suggested in the Hebrew Bible, rather, the archaeological evidence indicates that, before the Babylonian exile in the 6th century BCE, the early Israelites were polytheistic and worshipped the local god Yahweh alongside his "wife," a fertility goddess named Asherah.
  • The emergence of monotheism and the belief in the universality of Yahweh was a response to the tragic experience of the Babylonian exile of the Israelites in the 6th century BCE. According to Dever, "It's out of this that comes the reflection that polytheism was our [the Israelites'] downfall."
This documentary sheds light on another theory that expresses the idea of 'heaven and hell' came into the Hebrew religion after that period of captivity in Babylon based on the teachings found in Zoroastrianism.

The idea of heaven and hell came from the Zoroastrian religion.
In 586 BCE, Judah was annexed by Babylonia and many of its people deported to Babylon, with no expectation of ever being able to return. However, the Persians under Cyrus the Great conquered Babylon soon afterwards and allowed those Jews who wished to return to Judah to do so. He even promised them funds from the royal treasury for the rebuilding of the Jerusalem Temple. As a result of this kindness and generosity, Cyrus is treated with almost divine regard in the Book of Isaiah.

The Jews had a high regard for the Persians, so it is natural that they would have been receptive to ideas from the Persian religion, Zoroastrianism. We also know that the Persian eunuch Nehemiah and the priest Ezra were sent by the Persian kings to Judah supposedly to teach the Jews about their own religion.

Heaven and hell, as places of reward and punishment, had always been part of Zoroastrian belief. However, prior to the Babylonian Exile, the Hebrews did not believe in heaven and hell. Even in the post-exilic period, not everyone accepted the concepts of immortality. Even as late as the first century CE, the Sadducee sect of Judaism did not accept the concept of heaven and hell.
Prior to their captivity - it was viewed that the Hebrews worshiped a 'tribal God' - as in King of the Mountain. Every tribe in the region had its own 'temple' on a mountain top and a God they worshiped. When they got into a war - the victory was looked upon as having the more 'powerful' God. When they lost their homeland - and mountain top - they had to 'reshape' their religion.....and the documentary takes a more scientific approach to discovering the archaeological evidence that supports this. (Aren't they still fighting over that mountain top today? See: Temple Mount)

Sincerely,

DKing

That's very interesting, Dking. In the Yoruban legends of the African tribes of the Angola and Congo regions there is the mythology that the Great God Olorun (the Creator of the Orun, the Spiritual Realm), created two eggs. From the first was born Oshallah, the first male being, and from the second Nanan, the first female being. To Nanan He gave the responsibility of creating the world, the physical realm, and to Oshallah the responsibility of ruling over all the beings that would be created in it - the world of duality, of Ying and Yang, male and female, light and darkness, good and bad... It is interesting how practically all myths and legends seem to contain an at least very similar common origin...

In the synchretism that still persists today, Oshallah would have also been "involved in the denser matter of which the material realm consists", and lived several incarnations, including that of Yeshuah of Nazareth...

Chevalier said:
That's very interesting, Dking. In the Yoruban legends of the African tribes of the Angola and Congo regions there is the mythology that the Great God Olorun (the Creator of the Orun, the Spiritual Realm), created two eggs.
This is very interesting. I did a 'Google' search to see what I could find - and found a few quotes that tie into my own research and study about common elements in the creation myths. (Specifically the God/Goddess aspect of Creation.)

• In the mythology of the Yoruba people of West Africa, Olorun is the most powerful and wisest deity. According to Yoruba legend, Olorun was one of two original creator gods. The other was the goddess Olokun. In the beginning, the universe consisted only of sky and a formless chaos of marshy water. Source: Myth Encyclopedia
  • Olokun has male or female personifications, depending on what region of West Africa He/She is worshipped. In female form among the Yoruba, Olokun is the wife of Olorun and, by him, the mother of Obatala and Odudua. Olokun also signifies unfathomable wisdom. Source: Wikipedia

During my childhood - it was hard for me to express direct testimony of my experiences in spirit while I was on the 'other side' of the veil because I would reference a 'feminine deity' that I visited. After my last NDE in 1988, I was in Hawaii and felt I could make a reference to it. When people asked who I went and saw on the other side - I replied, "I went home to visit the Goddess Pele, or what I called Mom during my childhood days. The Mother of my soul."

When it comes to censorship - this is the aspect I feel has been cut from the bible and mainstream religion.

Sophia (???í?, Greek for "wisdom") is a central idea in Hellenistic philosophy and religion, Platonism, Gnosticism, Orthodox Christianity, Esoteric Christianity, as well as Christian mysticism. Sophiology is a philosophical concept regarding wisdom, as well as a theological concept regarding the wisdom of the biblical God.
Sophia is honored as a Goddess of wisdom within the Neopagan and New Age movements, as well as within feminist-inspired Goddess spirituality. In Orthodox and Roman Catholic Christianity Sophia, or rather Hagia Sophia, Holy Wisdom is an expression of understanding of the Holy Spirit, and for example as in the Old Testament in the Book of Proverbs 9:1, but in no way in terms of pagan goddess worship. Some fringe gnostic Christian bodies may take a more New Age view of this, which the mainline Orthodox, Roman Catholic and other similar churches would most certainly not agree with.
When I was 15, I had a direct communication with this 'Divine Spiritual Mother' while I was awake and walking around. (I was at work that day when I heard her voice within.) I asked her when I was going to find evidence of her existence in the 'world I lived' in, because every time I brought up the subject of her (or reincarnation) - I would be scolded and mocked. When I was 15, I was told I would find a poetic reference to her in a proverb of ancient times. Specifically Chapter 8. (Many decades later, I found the exact reference written in Proverbs Chapter 8.) (See: Who is the Holy Spirit?)

When it comes to 'reincarnation' - it doesn't matter what a book, religion, minister, preacher of an entire region of 'faith' will try and lead your mind to believe. The "Mother of our Souls" knows the truth and it is through that 'divine hand' of guidance that our minds are led on a quest for revelations in spirit that prove (beyond doubt or mere belief) and validate the truth regarding 'incarnation's' of the past - as well as the future.

I agree that there are similar aspects to all 'creation' myths and it is a matter of reading between the lines to find the truth buried beyond the literal words.

Thanks for the reference.

Sincerely,

DKing

As with all myths, there are various versions, Dking... :thumbsup:

In the beginning, the universe consisted only of sky and a formless chaos of marshy water.
It is interesting that according to the Yoruban myths the "element" of Oshallah is the air, whereas the "element" of Nanan, or Olokun, depending on which version, is the swamps, or "marshy waters", the mixture of earth and water. Combine all three and we'll have the necessary basic elements for the creation of life. But now we are steering away from the original topic of this thread... ;)

Worthy of mentioning, however, and again in order to return to the topic of this thread, is that the name Oshallah (Oxalá, Osalá) means the "Son of Allah", the Son of God. The name "Allah" derives from "Allahballasheh", which means "He who detains the power of Creation". According to the Yoruban myths, Olorun delegated to His first created son, Oshallah, the power over all Creation. These connections between myths, deriving from so many different sources, have only reinforced, to me personally, the truth behind a common origin that exists amidst just about all ancient legends and myths, including those that are registered in the Holly Bible...

Also worthy of mentioning, and again in order to return to the topic of this thread, is that the name Oshallah (Oxalá, Osalá) means "the son of Allah", the son of God. The name "Allah" derives from "Allahballasheh", which means "He who detains the power of Creation". According to the Yoruban myths, Olorun delegated to His first created son, Oshallah, the power over all Creation. These connections between myths, deriving from so many different sources, have only reinforced, to me personally, the truth behind a common origin that exists amidst just about all ancient legends and myths, including those registered in the Holly Bible... :thumbsup:

Resurrection

Perhaps the resurrection is the the total awakening of the the soul in this realm to know all of ones lives, upon entry and exit and upon return, with the option of coming going or staying, here or there, perhaps this is the true resurrection?

I think Mathew 17:10-13 makes the concept of reincarnation of Elijah as John the Baptist stated by Christ a reality and quite clear.

In spite of this many Christians will deny the saying and interpret it as something else.

As a hypnotherapist I have regressed myself to past lives and also done the same on others. The detail and information found is too compelling to be dismissed.

As a Christian I like to keep an open mind,but for many reincarnation is at odds with their belief system. Generally speaking it is difficult to discuss this subject with others who will report reincarnation evidence as 'Work of the devil etc'.

As a Christian, I am still trying to reconcile my faith with the concept of reincarnation, and I am trying to come to peace with this. I have had "other people's memories" for as long as I can remember, and they have always been a part of me, in good ways and in bad. I have always tried to push the memories down and explain them rationally. My aunt also has memories, but decided a long time ago that they were from Satan, and so has done her best to block them. I have realized that these memories underlie many of my greatest joys, so I don't believe they are from an evil place. However, there are also fears and traumas that I can't ignore, which have always been real to me and can't be fully explained by my experiences in this life. I have gone through times of being open to reincarnation, and then feeling like a bad person and putting it aside. But in the past year some things have happened, doors have opened, and I have gained a lot of insight into myself by meditating on these "puzzle pieces" of memories I have been trying to explain away most of my life. I am grateful to have found this forum, as it seems like a safe and supportive place, and I hope to come to more peace spiritually as I seek for answers.

Because of the Christian dictum that Jesus saves and you go to heaven-end of story,many Christians will not accept any ideas pertaining to past lives.

I saw a TV programmed on the Druize Christians in the Lebanon who accept reincarnation and actively seek evidence in their children.

Many Christians have past life memories but are not encouraged to discuss or investigate them. The generosity and love found in Christ is not reflected in the institutionalised religion offered by UK churches. It seems to me that all personal spiritual anecdotes are frowned on. This includes near death experiences,spirit contact and past lives.

Death seems to be a big taboo in Christian dogma and once the funeral is over that's it! No further thought required. This leaves troubled and hurting believers with no support and little information.

People should not be made to feel guilty or satanic because they explore possibilities with the mind given by God.

I think there is a lot of fear of death that people have, and organized religions do not often address the deeper issues and questions. Also when people look at only a literal interpretation of the Bible, translated into English, or whatever modern language they speak, they are often missing deeper meanings and allegorical truths of the ancient texts.There are a lot of mysteries surrounding death, and the meaning of life, and we can't place everything into a neat little package. As a nurse, I have been present with people in the dying process, and this has reinforced my belief in an eternal soul. I have also experienced the presence of deceased loved ones. When I was younger, and more closed minded, I was "visited" by a patient I had grown close to while he was dying at the hospital and I was at home. He seemed very much alive and at peace, so when I found out the next day he had died, I was very upset, and it took me a long time to be able to process it, and not to fear the visitation as something evil. I have been fortunate to find some wonderful people with whom I can discuss such issues, who are open to these mysteries. But reincarnation, I find, is still seen as taboo, or flaky. But based on my experiences, I have to take a serious look at it, and consider that it may be a way for a loving God to bring learning and healing to people. Could coming back to live again and learn be the true meaning of the concept of Purgatory?

In my view life is a place of learning. Frequently hard knocks and sometimes terrible endings. I do not believe we have one shot at it and if we mess up get more chances to improve our souls.

I believe only those who offend God by breaking his Laws go to Purgatory which is a place of serious punishment. It is likely in my view that really good people who have found Paradise may elect to be reborn for altruistic reasons.

Unfortunately we can only speculate as no one really knows and we do see through a glass darkly.

In hypnotic regression subjects have described to me what happened right after they passed and left their bodies. The experiences vary but are fleeting and heavenly memories appear to be blocked.

One man a Roman soldier in regression said as soon as he died he knew he had wasted his whole life by not having a family and children and had to cross a golden bridge to attain the afterlife. This man described how he had paid a hermit to administer hemlock to him as he was destitute in old age after leaving the army. This suicide by proxy had not affected his passage to a nice place-not exactly the teaching of the RC church!

Many regression clients can tell of their immediate response as spirits after dying.

Traveler you might find help by being regressed. You clearly have spiritual gifts and talents and you must not let guilt and fear block your learning.

Vivienne, thank you for sharing your perspective. I have not yet been regressed, but I am considering it strongly. It seems like since I've allowed myself to meditate on my glimpses of memory, that I've found greater insight into myself, and especially the places in my life where I seem to get stuck. I seem to have found the origins of some of my talents and interests, but also many of my unexplained fears and a sense of guilt that I carry with me for not protecting loved ones in the past. These things have held me back in my current life in ways I could never explain before. I believe that God wants me to use my talents and gifts, and maybe is allowing me access to these memories and insights so I can truly learn what I need to be a better person.

The word eternal comes from the Greek word "aionion" which means age lasting, for an age (Ex. Matt. 25:46) so heaven and hell are not eternal, just temporary. Plus I think fire is a metaphor for purification. Let me reword that verse in that light. "Thus the wicked will go off to age lasting purification but the righteous to age lasting life." Sound better?

Plus I love the John the Baptist / Elijah story and the blind man story in John 9:2-3. "Who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind?" The disciples evidently got the idea that a man's own sin could have caused his blindness and they had to have gotten it somewhere. And since Jesus didn't call then foolish or wrong (which he was quick to do when he encountered error) to even ask that question he must've taught reincarnation to them.

Hi Hey,

I have another interesting speculation for you. The word aion itself also denoted a person's lifetime in Greek, i.e., a person's lifetime was his aion, the period of time he/she was alive. The word "zoe" translated as "life" in this context has more to do with the infused power of god-life--abundant, joyful spirit-filled life. (A quick google for the three NT words translated as "life" will give some good insights into "zoe"). So, an alternate translation might be: "Thus the wicked will go off to lifelong (aionion) purification but the righteous will receive aionion (lifelong) zoe. Future incarnation? Present incarnation? Both?

I'm planning to formally study NT Greek at some point, but for the moment I can only speculate. Still, an interesting idea.

Cordially,

S&S

PS--These speculations may be more indicative of my own ignorance than anything else, but I do wonder as I study the actual words used and what they mean. Translators make choices. In this case, particular choices have been hallowed as THE RIGHT DEFINITIONS AND UNDERSTANDINGS because they fit the theological ideas (and sometimes the Imperial ambitions) of particular eras, and have become fixed in everyone's minds over close to 2000 years. However, I wonder about mistakes made at the beginning and carried down century after century . . . maybe.

For me Edgar Cayce found some common ground between Christianity and other belief systems. Reincarnation is a central and reoccurring them in Cayce's teachings. However the most accurate term to describe Edgar Cayce is he was a Christian mystic.

The original message talks about the prophet Elijah who was going to return. Christ Himself said Elijah had returned and the apostles realized He was talking about John The Baptist. Edgar Cayce confirmed that John The Baptist was the reincarnation of Elijah.

According to the New Testament people asked the Baptizer if he was Elijah and the Baptizer said no he wasn't. But who knows why he said that if that's even exactly what he said.

What's interesting is Cayce said Elijah created bad karma for himself when he had the priests of Baal killed after the magic contest. Jezebel and Elijah were mortal enemies. Jezebel was reincarnated as Herod's wife Herodias and Elijah was reincarnated as John The Baptist. It was Herodias who orchestrated the execution of the Baptizer. John The Baptist was killed by the sword just as the priests of Baal were.

Christ spoke about reincarnation but people didn't understand what He was talking about.

Understanding the Book Of Revelation requires an understanding of astrology and reincarnation I think. And that's probably why people are so confused about Revelation today.

Here's a message about this.

Jeff Marzano:

The early Christians apparently believed that Christ was going to return during their own lifetimes. I think that happened because of a misunderstanding about the following statement that Christ made:

◄ Matthew 16:28 ►

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Edgar Cayce said that the people who heard Christ say this didn't understand what He was talking about. What Christ meant is the people who were present at that time would be reincarnated and alive again in this world when all of those end time events had happened.

Christ was probably talking about the end of the astrological Age Of Pisces. I think this may have happened on 12/21/12 and we are now in the Age Of Aquarius but I'm not sure.

This gets into the idea that there will be 144,000 people in the world to make the path straight for whatever's going to happen. That may be now. There's 144,000 on the dark side also.

Interestingly one Mayan baktun is 144,000 days and 13 of those baktuns make up one Mayan age.

Twelve and multiples of 12 are mystical numbers in the bible and many other places such as astrology and mythology.

Edgar Cayce's Story of Jesus (Paperback)
[Paperback 1987]
by Edgar Cayce (Author), Jeffrey Furst (Editor)

How interesting is most of this thread. The Golden thread that weaves together all thoughts here is precisely the concept of reincarnation of the soul. And to most of those that have embraced Christianity and reincarnation, we must remember a particular passage in the gospels where it relates to the Second Coming of Christ, and is written as Jesus' own words.

John 14-25,26,27
All this I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have told you. 27Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.…

And for those posts related to the spirituality and the existence of the soul prior to the body, along with the eternal realm, we can rely on Plato for corroboration.

Timaeus:

Now God did not make the soul after the body, although we are speaking
of them in this order; for having brought them together he would never have
allowed that the elder should be ruled by the younger; but this is a random
manner of speaking which we have, because somehow we ourselves too are very
much under the dominion of chance. Whereas he made the soul in origin and
excellence prior to and older than the body, to be the ruler and mistress, of
whom the body was to be the subject......

When the father and creator saw the creature which he had made moving
and living, the created image of the eternal gods, he rejoiced, and in his joy
determined to make the copy still more like the original; and as this was eternal,
he sought to make the universe eternal, so far as might be.......

Thus far and until the birth of time the created universe was made in the
likeness of the original, but inasmuch as all animals were not yet comprehended
therein, it was still unlike. What remained, the creator then proceeded to fashion
after the nature of the pattern. Now as in the ideal animal the mind perceives
ideas or species of a certain nature and number, he thought that this created
animal ought to have species of a like nature and number......

Now, when all of them, both those who visibly appear in their revolutions as
well as those other gods who are of a more retiring nature, had come into being,
the creator of the universe addressed them in these words: ’Gods, children of
gods, who are my works, and of whom I am the artificer and father, my creations
are indissoluble, if so I will. All that is bound may be undone, but only an evil
being would wish to undo that which is harmonious and happy. Wherefore,
since ye are but creatures, ye are not altogether immortal and indissoluble, but
ye shall certainly not be dissolved, nor be liable to the fate of death, having in
my will a greater and mightier bond than those with which ye were bound at the
time of your birth. And now listen to my instructions:–Three tribes of mortal
beings remain to be created–without them the universe will be incomplete, for
it will not contain every kind of animal which it ought to contain, if it is to be
perfect. On the other hand, if they were created by me and received life at my
hands, they would be on an equality with the gods. In order then that they
may be mortal, and that this universe may be truly universal, do ye, according
to your natures, betake yourselves to the formation of animals, imitating the
power which was shown by me in creating you. The part of them worthy of the
name immortal, which is called divine and is the guiding principle of those who
are willing to follow justice and you–of that divine part I will myself sow the
seed, and having made a beginning, I will hand the work over to you. And do
ye then interweave the mortal with the immortal, and make and beget living
creatures, and give them food, and make them to grow, and receive them again
in death.’

Thus he spake, and once more into the cup in which he had previously
mingled the soul of the universe he poured the remains of the elements, and
mingled them in much the same manner; they were not, however, pure as before,
but diluted to the second and third degree. And having made it he divided the
whole mixture into souls equal in number to the stars, and assigned each soul
to a star; and having there placed them as in a chariot, he showed them the
nature of the universe, and declared to them the laws of destiny, according to
which their first birth would be one and the same for all,–no one should suffer
a disadvantage at his hands; they were to be sown in the instruments of time
severally adapted to them, and to come forth the most religious of animals;
and as human nature was of two kinds, the superior race would hereafter be
called man. Now, when they should be implanted in bodies by necessity, and
be always gaining or losing some part of their bodily substance, then in the first
place it would be necessary that they should all have in them one and the same
faculty of sensation, arising out of irresistible impressions; in the second place,
they must have love, in which pleasure and pain mingle; also fear and anger,
and the feelings which are akin or opposite to them; if they conquered these
they would live righteously, and if they were conquered by them, unrighteously.
He who lived well during his appointed time was to return and dwell in his
native star, and there he would have a blessed and congenial existence...........

I do not believe that reincarnation is found in the Bible. If we look at the Hebrew scriptures what we find is that they possessed a very materialistic view of what we would call the ‘soul’ in the earlier historical layers. The Hebrew words ‘ruach’ (breath as in Genesis 2:7) and ‘nefesh’ (life in the body related to flowing blood, as in Leviticus 17:11) do not have any spiritual import.

We also see there is no concept of Afterlife states in the Bible before the Jews were influenced by the Zoroastrians in the Babylonian Exile. In the legends of Genesis such as the Fall, the murder of Able and the generation of the Flood there is never any mention of judgment and Hell. When we look at the list of blessings and curses based on one’s fulfillment of the Mosaic Law (Deuteronomy 28), there is never any Heaven or Hell mentioned. There is no Afterlife reward or punishment (Ecclesiastes 9:5).

The end of man is Sheol, the grave (Genesis 37:35) and that is it. The dead are “forgotten” (Psalm 31:12) and that is clear in a number of places, such as,

“It is not the dead who praise the LORD, those who go down to the place of silence”

- Psalm 115:17

These do reflect something of the state in which the dead were viewed which is also described as not only an unknown and questionable state, but “darkness” (Psalm 143:3). What we then gather about the grave is that it is characterized with motifs of silence and darkness.

In the Greek scriptures, most people on this subject will quote the famous verse from Hebrews which says clearly,

“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.”

-Hebrews 9:27

The Zoroastrian beliefs had already been incorporated in Judaism and passed to the early church. There is some debate among scholars if the view of the resurrection of the dead in Paul (1 Corinthians 15) and as it is presented in Revelation (chapter 20) are the same (‘Paul and Hellenism,’ Maccoby). But, in either case it does not seem that reincarnation is implied, much less directly mentioned, in these texts.

Charles. I have a hard time understanding this passage. I've read it many times and when I went to church as a child, it was read to me as well. I was told to "be born again" mean asking the lord to come into your heart and professing your dedication to him. I guess in a way it could be explained that way but then if disected, it could very well mean reincarnation.

"The Spirit blows where it will, and you hear its voice, but you know not where it comes from or where it goes." --- Could this be referencing our spirit reincarnating into someone else?

If you know how to re-explain this passage in current terms, it would really be nice but if there is not a way, that is okay too. I don't want a passage to be explained incorrectly by accident. :)

Wonderful Post! I'm going to print it for my mother.

I happened to see your born again comment.

I am a Gnostic Christian and the following quotes and link will show you how we think being born again or gaining the Christ mind works.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Regards
DL

Hi guys,

I found an article concerning the mentioning of John the Baptist having been a reincarnation of Elijah that I thought is very interesting and wanted to share:

Well, in the apocrypha, books not included in the bible, Paul talks about going to heaven, and the Angels show him the places of punishment and after the soul were punish, they were send back to earth in another body to continue their punishment. Reincarnation In Early Christianity is a must read y can get it in the web for free to read.

Regards.

Well, in the apocrypha, books not included in the bible, Paul talks about going to heaven, and the Angels show him the places of punishment and after the soul were punish, they were send back to earth in another body to continue their punishment. Reincarnation In Early Christianity is a must read y can get it in the web for free to read.

Regards.

That was more of a Jewish tradition than of Christianity. Even Jesus followed that tradition of thinking the old prophets reappeared throughout history.

Jesus asked his disciples, who do they say I am etc., when he entered Jerusalem.

Regards
DL

Hi, bishop. Yes it was Jewish tradition, but the quote I made I read it in PAUL AND EARLY CHRISTIANITY. And Yes! They believe in reincarnation since the came out from Egypt.
I can tell you that 3,500 years ago, We in Egypt were teach, that the soul comes back to earth. And how right we were.
I am here, with all my memories of 3,500 years ago, since I was born. Thanks GOD for sending me back to earth, because he is the only one who has the power, and decides who can comes back.

As I said, I was born with the memories of the past. It was hard for me dealing with this life, until I had the regressions. Were unlock all my memories from the past.

Attachments

• HATSHEPSUT PORTADA ONLY.jpg
    HATSHEPSUT PORTADA ONLY.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 4
  • HATSHEPSUT PORTADA ONLY.jpg
    HATSHEPSUT PORTADA ONLY.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, bishop. Yes it was Jewish tradition, but the quote I made I read it in PAUL AND EARLY CHRISTIANITY. And Yes! They believe in reincarnation since the came out from Egypt.
I can tell you that 3,500 years ago, We in Egypt were teach, that the soul comes back to earth. And how right we were.
I am here, with all my memories of 3,500 years ago, since I was born. Thanks GOD for sending me back to earth, because he is the only one who has the power, and decides who can comes back.
My book finally was publish last Sunday. HATSHEPSUT THE WOMAN WHO WAS PHARAOH by Nely Emiliani, On Amazon.com only.
In my book I answer many questions posed by Archeologists and Historian in the past and actually who's body is in the Cairo Museum.
As I said, I was born with the memories of the past. It was hard for me dealing with this life, until I had the regressions. Were unlock all my memories from the past.
I hope you give me the opportunity to enter your home, and know how was my life and how did I died.

Readers should not put Paul over Jesus.

Jesus is the archetypal good man. Not Paul.

Few have read or remember him but I think the best writer of the ancient Egyptians is Breasted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Henry_Breasted

Regards
DL

Readers should not put Paul over Jesus.

Jesus is the archetypal good man. Not Paul.

Few have read or remember him but I think the best writer of the ancient Egyptians is Breasted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Henry_Breasted

Regards
DL

I think you read me wrong. The only one I love is Our lord Jesus Christ and with his power he let me return to earth and find SE-MUT and tell him the truth, in my book, I describe how I came into the presence of GOD and ask him to let me come back and find SEN-MUT that I can tell him the truth..
And for our members I wanted to let the people know that Paul do speaks of reincarnation in early Chritianity.
Regards.

P.s.
And I found SEN-MUT in 1982, and had the opportunity to tell him the truth of what happened that terrible day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you read me wrong. The only one I love is Our lord Jesus Christ and with his power he let me return to earth and find SE-MUT and tell him the truth, in my book HATSHEPSUT THE WOMAN WHO WAS PHARAOH, I describe how I came into the presence of GOD and ask him to let me come back and find SEN-MUT that I can tell him the truth..
And for our members I wanted to let the people know that Paul do speaks of reincarnation in early Chritianity.
Regards.

P.s.
And I found SEN-MUT in 1982, and had the opportunity to tell him the truth of what happened that terrible day.

Do you have anything to substantiate your claim and show us that you are just not delusional?

Regards
DL

Back