• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What Are Your Talents?

I am a great writter (novel currently being published) and for as long as I can remember I love to write. English Literature is the only subject I was good at in Elementary school- High school (luckily my college grades were better). My family is very impressed by my writting, no one else in the family has that talent. I am envious of people who are good at art. That is one talent I wish I had. Now that my kids are a little older, I can really see their talents. My daughter, like a couple of you mentioned, has a phenomenal memory and does extremely well academically. Her memory really startles alot of people. She is great at every subject especially math and she is artistic. My son does well in school too (didn't get it from me) but what is most amazing about him (he is 10) is he has a very deep compassion towards others. He is always helping a disabled child at school or comforting someone who is hurt (without any coaching from anyone!). He has dyslexia and some attention problems which make doing well in school even harder for him but he has an inner strength and prevails. If there is one thing I had always hoped for my children to have, it is compassion and I love seeing it come out in them without even having to be told.

Also, the sewing is interesting to me. My mother was facinated that I could sew from the age of 6 with very little instruction and very well. I also "knew" how to cross stitch. My parents do not believe in reincarnation but my mother once said that she almost believes now after seeing what her children instinctively "knew".

I'm a very quick learner and tend to pick up on things very easily, sometimes too quick. I taught myself how to swim when I was about 6 or 7, I didn't think I needed lessons though my mom made me take them anyway....lol

I'm good at writing poetry and artistic, studied graphic design. Always been good at strategy type stuff, especially when it comes to games and puzzles - geography was my best subject in school, math my worst.

I also have a knack for remembering birthdays and phone numbers. :)

I was obsessed with mathematics from early childhood and taught myself a fair amount, so I guess you could say that is my talent. English was my worst subject --- I almost failed to graduate from college because I had such difficulties passing an English course.

I didn't write any fiction until after I had a reincarnational dream some 17 years ago. The story and even the writing style (and world-view) came through in that dream (resulting in a published novel). When I picture myself as that (dream) "character," words come easily to me. When I try to write as "myself," writing is much more difficult.

I think it's possible to pick up talents from other lives and become multifaceted.

I've always been very good with animals. Even ones that are scared of wheelchairs come right up to me. As many animals as I've interacted with, I've only been injured a few times. I've been bitten by my parakeet, scratched by my cat and friend's dog (but they were both playing), and bitten pretty good by a goose once, but that's about all my animal-realated injuries. It's like they know to be gentle with me, but even if they aren't, I can pretty much hold my own agaisnt the meanest Pomeranian. I growl, purr, chirp... whatever it takes to communicate.

I'm also always been able to draw really well. Ever since I was little, people have always been amazed at my skills. Same with writing, though I prefer drawing and painting.

I've recently started miniatures, and it seems so natural for me. I doubt I had a past life with miniatures, but maybe decorating/designing, as that is my favorite part.

When I was about ten, my Grandma gave me a little kid's piano, and started teaching me to play Camptown Races. I had it memorized in an hour.

I've always had an amazing memory. I learned to say the alphabet backwards after hearing it two times, memorized the Greek alphabet, and one of my hobbies is memorizing random liscence plates.

My talents are music and drawing. Well, I'm a bit rusty at my 32 years of age when it comes to drawing. I was very artistic when I was young. I would spend hours everyday after school drawing pictures. As I got a bit older my talent shifted to music. I played the drums and bass guitar for fun. Taught my self how to play both. I also DJ'ed at nightclubs techno music when I got older, mid 20's. It's been years since I have touched a vinyl record, but I still listen to the music everyday.

I can draw pretty good and I have a very good sense of spatial relationships. I am good a descriptive geometry and trigonometry and math in general. I play guitar (though I've been away from it for some years) and I was known for being very precise in my style. I am very detailed oriented and a thinker. I think all of the time. I am also highly interested in both science and spirituality, I understand complex concepts readily and I am naturally inclined toward logic.

I"m good at arts, crafts (not painting or music though). I learned a few years ago to make hand-made greeting cards using parchment paper (very different from your regular cards) and I got quite good at it - but after a few years, I got bored at it.

Now for a few months already I'm making jewelry - started with seedbeads and now I'm making them with silver and semiprecious stones, as a hobby. Not bored of it yet, actually my dream is to become a jewelry designer/artist and leave the corporate business and start on my own, but that's another story.

Have no idea what could be the relation to a past life, couldn't manage to regress myself to more than just a few flashes - nothing related to crafts though :confused:

One thing though, in my youth (I'm 40 now) I was not good at any kinds of crafts and was not even interested in anything similar. I've been a 'late bloomer', sort of, after reaching and passing my 30es.

Thanks for sharing, Kislany :)

It really strikes me that most people here are very creative - they write, paint, draw or other creative things. That's quite interesting.

I would say that what is most interesting about me in this context is my lack of talents. Not that I'm not good at anything - I'm good with languages, I'm a good writer and I enjoy writing and I'm very empathic, which I'm not sure is a talent, but I'm good at knowing how other people feel.

However, there are many things that I really, really wish I could, but can't. I would love to paint and draw - but I haven't been born with that talent in this life unfortunately. I often get the urge, sit down with paper and pensil and an image in my head, only to get frustrated that my hands can't do it.

The strangest one though is that I've always wanted to play the violin and be really good at it. I've always had the feeling that if only I had a violin I'd know how to play it - like "how hard can it be?", but I've never gotten around to do it. I know it's hard to learn how to play the violin and at my age and the amount of time I could put into it, I would probably never reach my desired level. However, I've always believed that I'd be a natural talent :rolleyes: :D

I think these desires to do certain things, but not having the "ability" in this life is past life related. For example, I think the violin meant a lot to my past life persona Julia.

I'm curious to hear if others have similar 'desires' to do something they can't? :)

I'd forgotten about this place...good job I was sorting through my bookmarks, eh?

I'm quite talented when it comes to writing. I often have sudden ideas that come to me and I simply have to write them down, even if I don't get around to writing the story for them. I'm actually in the process of writing a fantasy novel which I hope to have finished within a year if I work on it regularly (roughly 1,900 words/week to reach my target wordcount) and published shortly thereafter if all goes well. If it does get published, I all ready have several ideas for other novels as well as one non-fiction book.

I've always been good at history and often study obscure historical topics (which extends to reading ancient texts, ranging from Babylon's holy tablets to Homer's The Illiad). In particular, I never have any trouble remembering details relating to World War II, which would certainly seem to hark back to my life in the Wehrmacht. On a similar note, I've always had a natural affinity for drill/parade/marching - something I discovered when I joined Saint John Ambulance as a volunteer. Once more, that seems to hark back to a military life and the SJA drill protocols are not too different to military ones.

I'm curious to hear if others have similar 'desires' to do something they can't?
Curiously, I've always had the feeling that I'd make a rather good tailor. I've never once used a sewing machine in my life or attempting to design any kind of clothing, yet I do feel that I should be able to design and possibly make clothes with relative ease. All though I don't have a sense of fashion as it is (i.e., I don't care about what the latest fashions and trends are), I seem to have a fairly good idea of what works in an outfit and what doesn't. It has always been an ambition of mine to explore that sense of natural talent, but I never manage to get around to it.

The one thing i really would like to do is play the violine - my husband gave me a violine this year - and i managed to produce 4 clear sounds the first time I hold it in my hand - some of the following sounds were not as clear :rolleyes: - unfortunatelly at the moment I don't have the time really to practise - also we live in a flat and I don't wan't to disturbe our neighbours:)

Otherwise I don't have any particular talent - am fairly at ease with language - speaking better than writing - am quite good in organizing things - after graduating from high school in 1978 I would have loved to join the army but at that time austria had no females in the army ( was obviously not meant to be ) - I have an eye for interior design and love to decorate tables - love to creat business cards and broshures for us and friends - fortunately i don't need to draw them by hand :D - but I can sit hours on the computer till I get colours' shades and lay out right.

I like to cook - and i am absolutely useless when it comes to sculpturing something :D

Clivia

Talents or skills?

One member noticed the same thing i did notice in this thread...that most of you are into arts, music, etc? have all of you being honest here?

I mean I haven't seen a person saying I am good at a i.e a "bad thing" such as cheating in my tests, or liying , or yeah i am good at being a "con artist or something in that range"

Unless i am different than the rest of the members here then I will feel bad to post my real talents or skills?.

It is not necesary to be an artirst or a good individual to be able to understand and believe in reincarnation, is just that is hard for me to believe that no one here have an strange true talent? or a talent that is now considered a "sin"

charlotterob said:
One member noticed the same thing i did notice in this thread...that most of you are into arts, music, etc? have all of you being honest here?
It is not necesary to be an artirst or a good individual to be able to understand and believe in reincarnation, is just that is hard for me to believe that no one here have an strange true talent? or a talent that is now considered a "sin"
You are correct, belief in reincarnation does not require goodness or artistic talent. I believed in it when I was neither good nor artistic.

It sounds as though the list of talented members of this board has made you feel a bit defensive about your own talents. Instead of disbelieving what has been posted and casting aspersions, why not share what you've got?

To be additonally honest, I'll admit some of my other talents.

I have a talent for insults, deception, and for political manipulation and intrigue. I'm also a notorious gossip.

I engage in Internet and live-action trolling.

I'm also a 'snitch' with a growing network of other snitches.

So, what talents do you have?

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I have a talent for insults, deception, and for political manipulation and intrigue. I'm also a notorious gossip.
I engage in Internet and live-action trolling.

I'm also a 'snitch' with a growing network of other snitches.
Perhaps a better approach would be to follow your user title -

Be part of the solution.
;)
Finding solutions takes talent. ;)

I left my ability to come up with solutions off the list of my less-savory powers that I use for good (that's what I mean when I say that-all of your powers, not just the ones that people approve of).

I figured that would be in tremendously bad taste, considering my track record with that particular talent.

Except that everywhere I work, we end up using the world "solution" in our slogan. Admittedly, that's usually my fault...

Deborah said:
Hi Phoenix,
Perhaps a better approach would be to follow your user title - ;)

Finding solutions takes talent. ;)
That's actually the slogan I came up with for our business. Catchy, isn't it? It looks great on our promotional materials.

I'm always giving my kids the "be part of the solution instead of part of the problem" speech, so the slogan is a reminder to them, as well as other people like me who need to be part of the solution and not just point fingers at it and complain.

Phoenix

In response to Charlotterob's call for honesty, I would like to say that I have no talents at all. Can't sing, can't dance, not even a good liar.

But that's OK. I have a full and happy life, anyway. :thumbsup:

I feel like Niamh and Sunniva. I think about my lack of talents instead. There are some things I am better at than other things, but I don't feel I am "good enough" at anything. Charlotterob mentioned negative talents. I think many people don't consider negative abilities to be talents. For example, until I read that comment of theirs, it never occured to me to think of my ability to shut out emotions at times, a talent. I can't always do this, but sometimes I can. I thought it was an over-active defense mechanism, something to rise above/overcome...something to avoid doing...not a "talent," but it IS an ability, isn't it? I am also good at knowing how to push people's buttons, but I think we could all do that if we wanted to. But it's not a very good thing to do.

Sunniva said:
Thanks for sharing, Kislany :)
I'm curious to hear if others have similar 'desires' to do something they can't? :)
Yes! I can echo what you and niamh said. I don't have any outstanding talents, although I do a number of things decently well. Including math, computers, languages... One thing I wish I could do outstandingly is to sing. Curiously, my singing did improve a tinge due to my every day practice of singing to my kids at night. :laugh: I'm grateful for that, but that is still too far from what I wish. So, maybe next life time. ;)

I'm good with words... and I wish I could sing better. I mean Prima Donna level (well perhaps not prima donna, they are usually sopranos and I'm pretty happy with being a contralto :D )

Niahm wrote:
In response to Charlotterob's call for honesty, I would like to say that I have no talents at all. Can't sing, can't dance, not even a good liar.

But that's OK. I have a full and happy life, anyway.
Hei Niahm! That - requires more talent than it is usually given credit for - congratulations, talented one! :thumbsup:

To the point that was made that most of the talents that have been listed are overly positive, I would beg to differ at least to a degree. I have many abilities some positive and others negative but most could be considered either, it depends upon how they are used. For example, I am a pretty good writer and speaker. In other words I can construct a narrative that has a good chance of convincing someone to think about something in a different way. This ‘talent’ can be used both for good and ill. In my current life I have worked as an attorney and as a law professor. My facility with words has certainly been beneficial at times (i.e. served some greater good) and, at other times, has been used to obfuscate the true issues. I think this true of most ‘talents’ in that they are neither positive nor negative, they are abilities that can be used for either purpose.

I like Alex's point. Well-said. :thumbsup:

I like to think I have some talents at some things. I'm pretty good at finances, paying bills on time, budgeting and making sure we're living within our means. I have skills at writing and photography and worked as a journalist for a long time. I discovered later that I also have skills for children, and I believe that's what I'm meant to do with my talents - work with children. That's what I currently do now, manage a program for children within a school district.

Alexnovo said:
My facility with words has certainly been beneficial at times (i.e. served some greater good) and, at other times, has been used to obfuscate the true issues. I think this true of most ‘talents’ in that they are neither positive nor negative, they are abilities that can be used for either purpose.
Good one, Alexnovo.

A talent, an ability or a skill is neutral until we use it. Then it is up to us to decide how we will use it.

Adolf Hitler was one of the world's greatest orators. That was his talent. He chose to use that talent to inflame his audiences to hatred and violence. As a result, we had Nazism, WWII, and the Holocaust.

I've recently discovered a talent for photography. I could use it strictly for commercial gain. Instead, I use it as part of my activism and community service. My photographs have thus far resulted in 5 street gang members being convicted of violent crimes, and earned me a commendation from the police department that is very rarely given to civilians.

Phoenix

Thanks Alaskandaughter and Phoenix for your comments. I also applaud you both for the way you have used your talents (although Phoenix I would also say that there is nothing wrong with using your talent as a photographer to make a buck or two as long as you are honest - we all have to make a living).

Phoenix, as I was reading your post about Hitler's talents I was reminded of Leni Riefenstahl. She was a great photographer and film maker whose work is taught in every major film school in the world. She is still considered one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. Her talents cannot be denied. She used those talents to make propaganda films for Hitler which helped get his message out and accepted by the German people. To me it seems clear that, as you say, talents are neutral and can be used for good or evil.

As to the broader question of this thread, I wonder whether people beleive that talents are things that carry over from one incarnation to the next. I am torn on the question. I think interests in particular things do carry over - and if you are interested in something you are more likely to develop a talent in it (because you work at it). But some talents, like athletic abilities for example, seem to me to be genetically tied to the body one is incarnated in. As much as I am interested in baseball, I simply to not have the genes to be a great baseball player in this life. I wonder about artistic abilities. Are they from the soul or from the genes?

Alexnovo said:
Thanks Alaskandaughter and Phoenix for your comments. I also applaud you both for the way you have used your talents (although Phoenix I would also say that there is nothing wrong with using your talent as a photographer to make a buck or two as long as you are honest - we all have to make a living).
The operative word in my post is "strictly". I do commercial work, but I also do surveillance work, which I am not paid for.

Alexnovo said:
As to the broader question of this thread, I wonder whether people believe that talents are things that carry over from one incarnation to the next. I wonder about artistic abilities. Are they from the soul or from the genes?
I think it was conclusively proved during the Nazi period that art does not come from the genes, when all art was divided into "German/Aryan" art and "Jewish/Bolshievik degenerate" art. It was totally artificial, and based entirely on what Hitler, et al, liked/didn't like. It had nothing to do with genetics, and everything to do with the fact that Hitler liked giant statues of naked men.

Art must come from the soul.

Phoenix

Phoenix said:
I think it was conclusively proved during the Nazi period that art does not come from the genes, when all art was divided into "German/Aryan" art and "Jewish/Bolshievik degenerate" art. It was totally artificial, and based entirely on what Hitler, et al, liked/didn't like. It had nothing to do with genetics, and everything to do with the fact that Hitler liked giant statues of naked men.

Art must come from the soul.

Phoenix
I am still curious about this. The example you cite, seems to be to go to the fact that artistic taste (what one likes or dislikes) come from the soul, but my question related to the skills to produce art. Is the ability to play a muscial instrument coming from the soul or the genes? I assume it is probably a bit of both (if a person is tone deaf - that should make it harder to play music - not impossible, I agree, but harder).

I suppose if asked what talents I have...the first things that come to mind would be anything creative in the world of crafts. Beadwork, sewing, making Xmas trees and wreaths from pine cones and nuts, making churches and houses at Xmas time, making wax candles, bath salts, soaps etc. I seem to have a green thumb so plants are an important part of my life.

I think my most outstanding talent was discovered in my 30's...and that's the ability to discover talents that other people have that they often don't seem to be aware of...or that they don't give credit to. I'm a natural salesperson and I can manipulate events and people. It's a talent that certainly can be used for good or evil. I believe that it's very possible in a prior lifetime I also had these talents and abused them....so...I'm obsessed in this life with only using it for the highest good.

Alexnovo said:
I am still curious about this. The example you cite, seems to be to go to the fact that artistic taste (what one likes or dislikes) come from the soul, but my question related to the skills to produce art.
Maybe I should have explained it better. I was not referring to the taste of the German leaders, but their belief regarding the creation of art. The belief during that period was that the Germanic/Aryan soul produced good, healthy art, while the Jewish/Bolshievik soul produced sick, degenerate art. And that belief was nonsense. Anyone can produce either, it's all a matter of style and technique. Not everyone chooses to paint in the realistic style of the old masters, some prefer to paint in the style of a Picasso.

There is an excellent documentary titled, "The Architecture of Evil" that illustrates this.

Phoenix

I have a bunch of strange talents that haven't been listed here yet...

Like I have a gift for connecting people with either things or information. I'm a true commodities broker in life that links needed information or needed objects, books or ideas. It's supply and demand and I'm the linkage. I'm a good idea person that should be getting patents or copyrights on her design ideas and marketing them! :rolleyes:

Another talent of mine is earthquake prediction that I taught myself in 2000 and then taught others how to do it. At one point I had a 90% success rate based on my ability to hear an earthquake 2-3 weeks in advance, worldwide. Living in California on the Pacific Ring of Fire it's a handy gift to have! I don't do it much at all now because life gets too busy to just listen to the earth all day! I know my father used to hear earthquakes too so maybe it's genetic?

A PL talent I have is for healing others. I guess I've been a healer in several lifetimes that I've seen using various methods; color, sound, herbs, Reiki-type energy, crystals and stones and telepathy. It sounds 'new age' but they're really very old healing methods.

Thank you for posting the artist link Jody. Very interesting. :thumbsup:

Thank you Jody for that terrific link--I missed it last night! I know several people who have a 'blend' of one or more senses. For instance; they can taste or feel color in addition to seeing it. It's a step up from visual only and introduces us to what can be possible for all of us one day. This man is a rare gem, thanks again for posting it.:thumbsup:

Back