• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What is your opinion?

GreenKnight

Senior Registered
I am most certainly not an expert. I haven't studied or researched these things. This is just my own private belief.

Before we are born we formulate some sort of a "road map". ie "I will be born at this time into this family, in this place. I will learn the lessons I need to learn, interact with the souls in that plane at that time and work on the issues I need to work on. Then I will die, revaulate myself and (most likely) plan my next soujourn (or life).

My one shaky area is this: Is there a specific time schedule for my demise from each life?
Is it pre-determined that I will go at a certain age from a certain cause? I know there are people who survive against all odds.
Example a plane with 300 people crashes and ONE person survives. There are unsuccesful suicide attempts, people lost at sea for days who are rescued and so on.

My point is then what about "Free Will"? Is that covered by the fact that I agreed to this before I reincarnated? What if I agreed and then changed my mind & wanted to kill myself? (I don't personally just a philosophical question) I am at odds on this right now and would value the opinions of others on the forum.
Technically it does not matter I guess but I am on an eternal philosophical and Spiritual quest.
This forum is chockful of intelligent, open minded people. Any opinions out there?

Depends how much decision making occurs before incarnation, if at all. I have my doubts about "fate" and if we do sort of pick our paths before life, we certainly have a reasonable amount of free will to deviate or to "extrapolate" on those paths.

Hello Vihreä Ritari! (green knight in Finnish :D )

I believe we make a plan of dying before we are born, but like anything else it can change along the way. Nothing's written in stone, imo. :)

Karoliina

I too believe that we choose a certain life - certain parents - certain places in order to learn certain lessons.

We might even know before we are reborn approximatelyhow long we are going to live - if we keep to the plan - fortunately I don't know how long it's going to be and I am glas about that.

And I believe in free will - my free will is HOW I walk this new path of life - am I willing to learn? - or am I only selfishly interested in my own wellbeing ? -there is nothing wrong with wellbeing - contrary - but it should never be on the cost of anybody else.

Clivia

i cant claim to know much about our life's plans or what lessons we choose to work on before we are born...but i can tell you this...ive known my entire life that i will live until i am 83...i dont know how or why, thats just something i always knew...now that's not to say im going to live recklessly or stupidly, in fact i've always been a little cautious, much more a thinker than a doer :laugh: and time will tell if i'm right about my time of death or not...we'll see...but thats my two cents worth :)

I agree with you about the road map idea.I think that before we live a new life we must choose a body with our spirit guides, choose a lesson or a purpose for this life, and try to create a path to the lesson. I think you choose a body and situation that fits your soul perfectly. This can take years IMO before you find the right situation to live in. I think Deja Vu occurs when you remember picking this certain situation that is occurring.

I think time is constantly in motion and every single choice we make can affect our future and what we hope to accomplish in this life. If we continually make mistakes and make bad decisions we fall of our path and end up failing to learn the lesson we set out to learn originally. I think our death is planned unless we are murdered or commit suicide.

If we do fall of the path I don't think there is punishment. I think punishment would be pointless. This is why I don't believe in Karma. I don't think good or evil exists. I think every life is just a learning experience designed to make you a better person. If we fail a we pick another life with similar circumstances and try it again IMO.

We keeping incarnating until we have learned all the lessons we need to learn on this place. I have no idea what they all are, but that is just my two cents.

I once had a life between life memory, where I was looking down at a couple who were sad - and I also was somewhat sad, but felt more dissappointed. The woman recently had an abortion - they aborted me.

While I was looking at them, I felt a presence behind me, which I felt was (once?) my 'sister', who was comforting me, and telling me it was best this way, because of the circumstances. The circumstances were that the (white) couple lived in colonial Congo at a time where there already was trouble and bad feelings against the white people. It wasn't a safe time to be pregnant and raise a baby.

I thought a lot about this. My feeling is that before choosing that couple as my parents, I didn't choose to be aborted. I didn't choose that lesson/experience. But it happened because of the circumstances in the country. It is possible that on the spiritual plane I made an agreement with those people to become their child, and to live a life with them. But my feeling says we didn't make the agreement of the abortion.I think that otherwise my Soul would not have felt this dissappointment when 'the deal was off'.

So, my opinion is, we may plan a lot, and even in agreement with other Souls, but I think there is much that can interfere with our plans. I believe the whole world (Souls AND Nature) is connected and anything that happens somewhere in the world might have an effect that interferes with no matter what we preplanned.

Eevee

Hi Eevee,

Yes, despite pre-planning, fate or even karma, there is also "free will". If an agreement was made at a spiritual level with your "would-be parents", they broke it. :rolleyes: In Spiritism, abortion is severely criticized precisely because it prevents a Soul/Spirit of coming into the Physical World to fulfill its destiny... :(

Hi Kingkoopa,

If we do fall of the path I don't think there is punishment. I think punishment would be pointless. This is why I don't believe in Karma. I don't think good or evil exists.
Well, I disagree. We quite certainly know, deep in our hearts and souls, where "good" and "bad" lie... And Karma is something similar to spending too much money unwisely - one day you'll find yourself in debt and in trouble and having to pay it back. We learn our lessons from "experience"...

Good and evil

Do people who grow up in environments that tell them to kill really know that its wrong? Its easy for us to say yes they know its wrong, but that would mean we aren't looking close enough IMO. If killing is all they have been exposed to, how do you expect them to know that its wrong? All I'm saying is how do we really know what good and evil is? Who decides? Are our ideas on good and evil products of our environment? Hitler believed he was Germany's savior. He didn't know what he was doing was wrong. Just like a child doesn't know. Should ignorance be punished?

I do believe that there is a good and evil - but I think Kingkoopa you made a good point - some people grow up being told that it is a good thing to kill xyz - who ever the enemy is. How should these kidds know that this is evil - because it is from an outside point of view.

I personally am also always cautious if karma is mentioned - there are so many oppinions on it - but most of all I think it's not up to us humans to judge about spiritual values.

Clivia

HI Greenknight,

I have a different POV than most who have responded. First - I would like to point out that Ian Stevenson suggests:

“although we are the creators of our own lives and to a certain extent, our own bodies, our participation in this process is so passive as to be almost involuntary.” (#219 - Holographic Universe.)
I think that the planning and guided sessions we read about so much - contain the best of the best; examples of what the researcher was looking for. In other words, out of 100 clients seven may reveal what the authors book is meant to present.

I am of the opinion, that the masses are not consciously creating. : angel I think death is a part of life and circumstances vary - as do the situations of each persons life time(s).

I am a firm believer in Free Will - and my life is not a preplanned scenario. I am responsible for how I choose to feel and how I choose to act and react. The end result - is the journey. ;)

You gave a wise answer to the question, Deborah. Now I return to the original question about one's responsibility and that of the environment. Just to take killing for example. One millenium ago it was legal in Iceland to take one's life if he killed someone you were related to. Sometimes it was even a duty to complete in the name of the group you belonged to. It seems good as everyone accepts it, but if we take the Njal's saga for example, revenge upon revenge followed one another until the families involved lost so many men that their lineage ended. And by the end of the story anger got overwhelming and unbearable. Even without experiencing it, one wouldn't regard a situation like that desirable. Not everything is good simply because it is widely accepted within a society.

Maybe Icelanders were unaware of their misdeeds a thousand years ago, but as we saw, ignorance was not an excuse from the responsibilitiy. The Njal's saga was very important to me, I understood the real role of forgiveness through this example.

Skarphedinn

Hi Kingkoopa,

Should ignorance be punished?
Well, an animal will kill out of its instinct of survival, and we certainly could not say that this is "wrong" or "evil". It is a Law of Nature. Likewise a savage cannot be judged and trialled under the same concepts as a "civilized man". But the more we grow in "consciousness", the more "knowledge" we acquire, also the greater becomes our responsibility over our actions. If indeed there is a God, and if indeed our "karma" is determined as a "Divine Law", one in which we can perceive a notion of "Divine Justice" (far more than one that holds concepts such as "heaven" and hell"), certainly this will be taken into consideration.

Hi Clivia,

...but most of all I think it's not up to us humans to judge about spiritual values.
I agree 100%, and from the best of my knowledge, based on what personal experience I have concerning spirituality, this is quite so... :thumbsup:

Hi Deborah, ;)

I am of the opinion, that the masses are not consciously creating. I think death is a part of life and circumstances vary - as do the situations of each persons life time(s).
Again I agree 100%.

I am a firm believer in Free Will - and my life is not a preplanned scenario. I am responsible for how I choose to feel and how I choose to act and react. The end result - is the journey.
And again... :thumbsup:

Hi Skarphedinn,

Some very good points. To me there is a GREAT difference between that which is "legal" or "law" and that which is "justice". In particular, that which we could refer to as "Divine Justice"... :thumbsup:

Thank you Skarphedinn.

Hey, Greenknight - where did you go? What do you think of the possibilities members have offered?

Still right here Ms Deborah :) Although being dadddy to 3 girls under the age of 10 does not always provide an easy answer to "where am I"? :laugh:

Thank you one and all. You have certainly provided food for thought. As usual I can count on all the forum members to provide insightful ideas and opinions. I like jhskulk's point of "a reasonable amount of free will." I agree with that.

Now ......al those people that survive miraculously against all odds.....that has very little to do with free will. But that may be possibly another theme other than reincarnation so we won't go into it in this thread or this forum.

Thank you all again. You guys (and ladies) are the best! :thumbsup:

Back