• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

1836 Parisian Cafe

sconnie82

Member
I had a dream recently that began as many dreams do...with no sense of "real life" logic. I was in a large grassy clearing where a picnic was being held. There was an adolescent boy who was mentally impaired who considered it great sport to hurl jagged chunks of rock at the picnic-goers from a corner of the clearing. I was the only person seemingly aware of the random near-misses (the boy was not accurate at all).

From here, the dream got a little stranger and more of what I might consider more than just your average discombobulated dream sequence. I left the clearing and began walking up a hill on a narrow path to leave the rock-hurler and the picnic behind. Up the hill, the path widened somewhat and became a bit of a cobblestone road. I found I was actually leading a group of children along the road, protecting them from the rocks, which were still arriving near our party with decreasing frequency.

Once over the hill (though still walking at an incline up a greater hill), the cobblestone road led into a very old town. The town felt distinctly European. One of the rocks ricocheted off the street and hit a storefront window to my left. When the rock struck the window, the front of the building exploded as if a bomb was detonated. The blast destroyed the window and front door and left charred marks on the road in front of it. At this point, I realized we should be seeking shelter and looked to the building just next to the damaged one.

The building I saw was two-story, white (like a plaster more than brick or wood) and had a large painted emblem or scene on the front. The words that come to mind to describe the emblem are regal or heraldric. Perhaps the picture had roses, or a lion or griffin or something of the sort. I wish I could remember what I saw. The dark wood front door had ornate, wrought iron designs covering it, as if like an aethestic but necessary reinforcement to the aged wood. Next to the door of this building was a gold plaque that read: "Parisian Cafe - Est 1836" with more text below that. I also cannot recall what the text said beyond what was quoted above.

Strangely, I felt strongly that this building would protect us and that it was a town meeting place, where families would meet for social events and meals, not simply the coffee and biscotti-serving cafes we think of today. It was more like an old inn or pub type of place. Also, the fact that the sign called it a Parisian cafe makes me believe I wasn't in Paris or even France, but it was modeled after one.

Anyways, I have no further comment, just thought I'd share a dream with some historical notes that I feel may have a greater significance to myself or my past...perhaps more will be revealed in time, or perhaps not at all.
 
Hiya Sconnie and thanks for sharing your dream :)


I found it rather interesting and I think it's possible that past life snippets might have been mixed into your dream.


I'm not an expert on the history of café's, but I do think it makes sense that a café abroad would be called 'Parisian'. I know that here in Copenhagen (Denmark) café's or 'salons' popped up already in the 1700's and they were definitely modelled after the French ones to an extend. As far as I remember the original French 'salons' were used as a venue to discuss politics mainly. It was in these places that the revolutionary ideas were formed and eventually spread.


However the café's in Copenhagen were mainly places for the (rich) women to meet and chat.
 
Thanks, Sunniva! I appreciate your response. Like I said, nothing terribly substantial either way and I apologize for the length...I'm not good with brevity :) I haven't done much in the way of regression of any sort, though in the last year I've had a few waking dream type images present themselves and made me consider the possibility more strongly.


Yes, the Parisian cafe seemed to me to be located elsewhere in Europe, though the condition of the street through the village and the appearance and age of the cafe itself felt very historic, if that makes sense. I just remembered how important it was that I got the children to safety, and the cafe was the safe place (though it would be very dangerous to be found there).


Interesting that they spread to Copenhagen by the 1700s. I suppose it makes sense that political and revolutionary ideas would spring up there, if they were used as social gathering places. In my very brief experience with French-style cafes here in America, they are still used by rich women to meet and talk ;)


Cheers!
 
Interesting that they spread to Copenhagen by the 1700s. I suppose it makes sense that political and revolutionary ideas would spring up there, if they were used as social gathering places.
It was part of the Age of Enlightenment. Men would gather and discuss science and philosophy, however it would not necessarily result in revolutionary ideas. We didn't have a revolution in Denmark, the monarchy is still going strong today, although back in the late 1700's the king was not constitutional, but despotic. The cafés weren't closed down, because hardly anyone wanted to get rid of despotism, they just wanted to reform it.


Just a thought, if you felt the café was a safe place, you probably weren't in France. During and after the revolution France was a scared and paranoid society. You couldn't trust anyone and the cafés were probably the worst places, because the walls 'had eyes and ears'.


:)
 
Very interesting dream. Not your normal dream like quality. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top