• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

A cottage in Scotland

Lady of Shalott

I don't have any concrete memories, but I keep getting the impression of some sort of cottage in Scotland. I think it was made of stone. It was isolated, cradled protectively in the mountains, and not far from water, whether it be lake or ocean.

Sometimes I think I feel homesick for it, and I spend time google image searching for cottages in Scotland. Often times I find something that is close, but not close enough, and I am disappointed. Logically I don't expect to find my cottage on google images, but I like to look anyways.

I visited Scotland a couple summers ago, and it was one of the most treasured experiences of my life. I visited the Glasgow area, Inverness, and Edinburgh. From Glasgow we took a tour up into the highlands, including Loch Lomond and Glencoe. Glencoe was an amazing place. I don't think I've ever felt so happy. I think my home may have been in that area or looked similar to it.

I still think of Glencoe and am, in a way, homesick for it, and for my little stone highland cottage.

Hi Lady of Shalott :)

Thanks for sharing. Have you tried meditating on the cottage? Perhaps you would be able to remember a place name. Your experience in Glencoe certainly sounds like it past life related. Do you have any idea when this past life took place? If it was relatively recent there may be records available from the church parishes or so.

I know next to nothing because I have never had a real memory of this, just impressions and feelings mainly.

I have tried to meditate, but I'm terrible at it. I have such a hard time focusing and not getting distracted.

Any tips on meditation?

I thought of something else while I was away. I get the feeling that we didn't have electricity, though that could easily be pretty recent considering how isolated this place felt.

I'm thinking it might not have been incredibly long ago. I get some pretty strong feelings towards some Scottish folk music that is 18th century at the oldest. If anyone is curious, the songs are Hey Johnny Cope and Come O'er the Stream Charlie. Both songs relate to Bonnie Prince Charlie. I find myself singing these two songs all the time!

My experience in Glencoe was really one of a kind. We spent our time riding through the highlands while our tour guide played us some traditional music on his fiddle. I began searching for traditional Scottish music after that experience. It sounds ridiculously cliche, and I don't really like to say it because of that, but it really felt like coming home in a way.

Hi Lady of Shalott, thanks for sharing your experience. I think a lot of people can relate to your feelings of homesickness, I often feel the same way about my past life home. You're very lucky to have been able to revisit the area in your present life, whoever you were, it sounds like it was a happy life :)

Lady of Shalott said:
I have tried to meditate, but I'm terrible at it. I have such a hard time focusing and not getting distracted.
Any tips on meditation?
I think the best tip for meditation is perseverance, it's just one of those things that seems to come easily for some people, but for others, it takes a fair bit of practice. Have you tried meditating to any of the audio cd's that are available? There are also some very good meditation applications on iTunes if you have an iPod ;) If I were you, I'd just focus on your breathing and relaxation for a while, no use trying to run before you can walk ;) : angel

Here are a couple of useful links that might also help you:

Meditation

The Heart Center

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Chris.

Lady of Shalott, it's quite a coincidence but the song "Johnny Cope" actually triggered what seems like a past life memory for me, I talk about it elsewhere (there's a link to the version of the song I listened to).

I also love Scottish music, here's a link to some free podcasts.

One of my possible past lives was born in a 18th century stone cottage in Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, here are some pictures of it, to give you an idea of what some 18th century Scotch cottages were like. Unfortunately, I wasn't hit with any sort of bodily-felt recognition when I first saw a picture of it, unlike when I saw pictures of other things associated with that life (like a pistol and a portrait). I wonder if that's because it changed too much, or something.

Lady of Shalott said:
Sometimes I think I feel homesick for it, and I spend time google image searching for cottages in Scotland. Often times I find something that is close, but not close enough, and I am disappointed. Logically I don't expect to find my cottage on google images, but I like to look anyways.
I've done the same thing - trying to find pictures online of the exact places/buildings I've seen in memories and dreams to validate them.

Even if you don't find the exact cottage, finding one similar might trigger more memories. :)

Jody, thank you for the links!

kemetic18 said:
I've done the same thing - trying to find pictures online of the exact places/buildings I've seen in memories and dreams to validate them.
Even if you don't find the exact cottage, finding one similar might trigger more memories. :)
I actually saw a picture of some in a calendar that looked pretty similar to what I'm looking for. I got some feeling of familiarity just from the appearance, but it wasn't "my" cottage.

ChrisR said:
Have you tried meditating to any of the audio cd's that are available?
I have used some free ones on youtube, but never an actual CD or anything. I just kept quitting out of frustration from having so little success. I'll see if I can keep going.

I've also spent time online looking for photos of things similar to what I remember. I've found things that look similar but, like you, it's not exactly what/where I've been in the past.

I understand the feeling of homesickness and wanting to "go back there." When I was little, I longed more than anything to go back to England. I still feel that way sometimes, especially when I see things like fog, lamplights, cobblestones etc.

I immediately relate to your feelings of searching for the exact picture on Google ;)

Wish I could be of help or add something more concrete, but know that there are others of us who feel that pull of traditional music. My attraction is strongly to Irish culture, but I know the connection to a cottage near the sea in a wild, untamed portion of the landscape.

You have something special (your Glencoe) there in your heart, cherish it always.

Back