Obie,
I'm not sure about past lives. I might have been Native American in a past life- possibly in Appalachia. I live in Appalachia right now, and as far as I'm concerned living in this landscape is like living in paradise- except that people are trying to destroy it. Like you, I love our culture and our heritage. I also love our land.
We still have some of our culture left, but sadly, though, we are losing some of that culture. It seems it has changed even since I was a little girl and I'm in my 20's. Luckily, I was born in time to not miss all of it, and some of it lives on for now. For example, my family has always- and continues to- gather plants from the hills for our table, whenever it's in season. Such as berries (ever had blackberry dumplings? They are DELICIOUS), dry land fish (morel mushrooms), poke (a weed), and plantain (another weed). You can eat dock, also, but my mother doesn't care much for it, so we've never picked any of it (though I believe my grandmother did), but I think I'll give it a try the next time it comes up. I've also tried dandelions, which are pretty tasty. And have made mullein cough syrup and cough drops (with all the sugar in the recipe, it tastes like herbal candy). We are also losing our unique, beautiful, and bio-diverse landscape. Our mountains are being destroyed, and it is a damage that can't be undone.
I told one of my fav. people that I'd like to come back here when we die- without all the environmental devestation that is taking place at the moment. I hope this place is saved- our mountains and our culture. If it is, I would love to come back here sometime in a future life. However, if I come back, I'm planning on basing it partially on being with certain other people. I'd like to come back with them, so that is going to influence my decision. Out of these people, I have no idea where some might choose to be born, if they get a say in it. One of them likes to travel, as do I, but he also loves Appalachia. So he might or might not come back here. I think it partially depends on where he sees the future of Appalachia going. I hope this place is saved and that I see it in another life. I feel very lucky to have been born here this time. It is definitely a special place.
You said you wanted to know if we'd had lives in Appalachia. I'd like to ask you something similar- Would you be interested in a future life here or do you think you once lived here? Have you ever visited in this life?