• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Are you familiar with 18th century France?

The vast majority of my memories are very mundane moments. Doing everyday things or doing hobbies (particularly, drawing). I remember days when the weather was nice and I was sitting somewhere in nature. Or a time I was walking with one of my brothers. I have a tendency to remember these moments. Really ordinary things.


Probably one of the most "exciting" memories was the time I injured my leg during a fall. Recalling it made me jolt, like I felt an electric surge upon remembering, along with a rush of adrenaline. I found that moment of remembrance to be very upsetting because it was too intense. Typically, I try not to recall the injury itself but I have strong memories of before/after the fall.


And I remember quite a lot of people. It's interesting because I can look at portraits of my family, particularly with my brothers and my sister, I can see them in my mind as they really were and I can recognize them quite easily. Like, upon seeing a portrait of my sister, I'll know it's her even if I haven't yet seen the portrait labeled with her name And I can see the expression her face had in life quite clearly in my head, the way she moved, and so on. (It's the same with my brothers)


I have indeed identified who I was (which led to a lot of clarification) but the identification didn't happen until last year.


Before I had identification, I knew the time when I was born. I knew how old I had been during certain events. And, of course, I had all those mundane little memories. Through those memories, I knew where I had lived and had a definite sense of my social status. I knew of my appearance as well...but for years had no idea who I really was.


Last year, I suddenly experienced a wave of spontaneous, intense memory which started because...well, for one thing, there is a love affair I remember (which has not been recorded anywhere in history) and this love affair had a profound effect on me. It has stood out sharply in my memory. So, I decided to write a fictional short story based on it...because the feelings were suddenly overwhelming and I often try to process things like that through writing.


The short story evolved into something so much more. I was suddenly picking up on all sorts of details (my father's death, things that happened to my brothers and I, and so on) and wrote them down. At the end of it, I realized I had enough to attempt verification.


I basically went on Wikipedia clicking on articles for EVERYONE I could possibly find from the time period, going from person to person. For a while, there were no matches (though I recognized quite a few people)...until I found my father's page and immediately...I knew. The family matched with the information I had and there was that profound sense of knowing, for certain, that I had found myself.


As for my lover, it was interesting because I initially found someone related to that person, with an incredibly similar name, who I recognized and stuck out in my mind (I knew that person as well)...but I was really confused by it because their date of death and manner of death was completely different than I had remembered. I thought perhaps I was mixing up imagination and memory.


Just last month, I came across record of the actual person I was intending to find. Very similar name but, this time amazingly, the death information matched...and I knew. I was overjoyed to find this! But, unfortunately, this person has largely been forgotten in history. I can't find any portraits. There isn't much left. That's why the discovery took so long. Really, a miracle that I even found it.
 
That was fascinating, obstacles, and one of the best examples of spontaneous recall of a past life that I have seen. I suspect many historians, and writers of historical fiction are influenced by unrealized past life memories. Did you experience any recall as a child?
 
I went ahead, and split this thread, so we could continue to discuss this interesting topic, without causing time ripples in 18th century France. :D You will find it in Past Life Memories, Under "Childhood Recall", by obstacles.
 
Last night, I visually recalled something traumatic that I witnessed during the revolution.


I've always had a profound reaction to the event (though I guess that wouldn't be uncommon, even to people who didn't witness it) but I've always only re-imagined it in my head. I mean, I wouldn't recall the actual memory but would simply imagine it over again when reading about it....does anyone know what I mean?


The actual memory was blocked until I experienced a flash of it last night. It really only lasted a second but that second was a lot to handle...


I felt dizzy and heavily nauseated. I really feared I was about to throw up...and I have a very strong stomach so that's not typical for me. Even typing about this now, because it's so soon after I recalled this visual, I feel a bit shaky.


I can't believe it's been over 200 years and yet things like that can affect me so powerfully.
 
I often feel nauseous and dizzy when I get a memory, but not to the degree that you experienced. I think of it as a symptom of time displacement. If I had to remember scenes from Monsieur Guillotine, it would be really bad, as argonne said. It's not surprising that those memories would be blocked. Do you wonder why that particular memory surfaced now?
 
argonne1918 said:
You saw someone's head chopped off? I think that would cause me to vomit.:eek:
I guess I can mention who it was. I didn't see the actual death occur but I saw the head of the princesse de Lamballe.


And, BriarRose, it all happened because I watched a movie with a decapitation scene. I thought to myself how fake it looked in the movie, particularly the head. Then I thought how fake those heads usually look in movies....


and that thought unfortunately led me to having the flashback. But it wasn't quite immediate. When I was reminded of the event, I initially re-imagined it and then, without thinking things through, I pushed my brain a bit too much to recall the actual event...


...which I instantly regretted upon having the flashback. It's difficult to explain because it all happened rather quickly, quicker than it seems from the explanation...but wasn't entirely immediate.


It's happened before. Months ago, I had a flashback to a serious injury I experienced in that life. The thought of it popped into my head (just completely randomly that time) but the actual memory was blocked...so, when I pushed myself to remember, I experienced a 2 second flash...which led to quite a powerful physical and mental reaction.


With the injury memory, I experienced a great shock. It was almost electrifying. Again, I got quite shaky but I didn't experience as much nausea as I experienced remembering the head of the princesse de Lamballe.
 
I read an account of her death, and it was stated that some of the details may have been fabricated. I hope to heaven that her death wasn't that savage. Her only crime seems to have been wealth. Were you acquainted with the Princesse, obstacles?
 
I don't have any memories of France but do have a great book on early France if anyone has questions I can look it up.
 
BriarRose said:
I read an account of her death, and it was stated that some of the details may have been fabricated. I hope to heaven that her death wasn't that savage. Her only crime seems to have been wealth. Were you acquainted with the Princesse, obstacles?
That's true. There are varying accounts of her death and the events following. The actual death is not something I ever witnessed. But many people witnessed her head...and I just had another flashback while typing that. I only remember her head. And I don't feel well now...again.


But it'll pass. I'm going to be entirely fine. I'm just typing it...as an observation.


Anyway, yes, I was acquainted with her.
 
Well, I'm all better now. Don't worry. :)


Earlier, I happened to come across an amazing book with all sorts of details concerning myself in the past. Through this book, I was able to verify quite a few memories. Also, descriptions of my personality and expression were matching (as expected). It's really a treasure because it's the only thing I've found which goes into those kinds of details.


And it's amazing how much doesn't change (though we all change). The way I'd spend my free time alone then is the same I spend mine now...except that I have internet now, of course. But my hobbies have remained exactly the same!
 
What habits and interests do you have in common with an 18th century gentleman? Can you reveal that without giving away your identity?
 
Well, there is one thing I want to mention. In this book, it was said that I had the habit of looking sour and unhappy in my expression. When I found that, I was so amused because that's something I often hear in this life. There were all sorts of little things like that, things I still hear all the time. Maybe they wouldn't be significant things in isolation but all lined up and compared to me, they become significant.


I'm sure if I let someone like my mother read this book, she would probably say something like, "That's you" even if I didn't tell her about it. In fact, that might be an interesting experiment...but I don't think I could get my mother to read it.


As for hobbies, writing and drawing are the big ones. It's described that I spent a day after an injury reading, writing, and drawing. (also, the injury was one of the memories I verified!) I mean, I didn't just do those things when unwell and I suppose a lot of people share those hobbies but it's what's mentioned as being my main talent, love, or focus...and that has remained the absolute same in this life.


I have found a few of my works from that life and it's interesting because I saw someone describe one of the portraits as "delicately done" and kept using the word "delicate" to describe it...which is exactly how one of my past art instructors in this life described my work. She would constantly call all of my work "delicate" and "sensitive". I can see somewhat of a resemblance of my current work to my past work though I'm not sure how obvious it would be to someone who isn't aware of the connection.


I've noticed a lot of my early high school work looks a bit 18th century, particularly one portrait I did which oddly resembles a portrait I did in the early 19th century (or was that the late 18th century? I'd need to check the exact date)...except that the people are completely different...but it had the same pose and similar qualities. However, my work has been influenced over time. I know I must have done art through several other eras so it's natural that my work now doesn't look exactly like my past work. I can see how it naturally progressed through time to get to where I am now. Really fascinating.


Unfortunately, I haven't been drawing enough lately but I always feel the urge nagging at me. "Need to draw, need to draw, really need to draw."


I was painting a lot with watercolors earlier in the year but recently I've been a bit more focused on my writing.
 
It would be interesting for us to see examples of your work from both lives. There are so many things I would like to ask, but don't want to jeopardize your privacy? Was drawing your primary occupation in France, or a beloved pursuit?
 
I'm afraid showing examples of work here could possibly reveal my identity. I doubt anyone on the forum has seen my work from any life but it's possible someone could come along and identify something. I also feel like I have to be careful because of reverse image searching.


Anyway, it wasn't an occupation for me. The same goes for this life but I wonder if I have been a professional artist in another life...


Who knows.


As always, you are welcome to PM me your questions if anything seems too private. In the end, I'll have to decide what I feel comfortable sharing but I don't mind being asked.
 
Yes, one of my lives was in 18th-Century France. I lived from the late 1740s through maybe mid to late 1760s. I do remember that Marie Antoinette had not yet come to France. My clearest memory is of being in a swing wearing a gown of deep gold satin--a sacque dress. I am very happy with my husband who is considerably older than me. We are with two other couples--friends of both my husband and myself.


My sense is that I died shortly after giving birth to a boy, either from the rigors of childbirth (I was quite petite) or of childbed fever.
 
I do have some "memories" but i can´t place them in "time"... i only "remember" a Blue coat,and some white on it... with lots of golden buttons, a three edge hat? and a HUGE sea battle... but i just can´t situate it in time... i can´t say if it´s 17th or 18th century...
 
I think it could very well be a French naval uniform since the British naval uniform was an extremely dark navy blue or black. The French uniform was more of a deep blue or dark teal in color. I am including a link. You will have to scroll down and you will see the picture. Also am including a link to a picture of Capt. Bligh and you will see the difference.


French Naval Uniform


http://her-malevolence.livejournal.com/11381.html


Capt. Bligh


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WilliamBligh.jpeg


Hope that this may help.
 
Lights said:
I think it could very well be a French naval uniform since the British naval uniform was an extremely dark navy blue or black. The French uniform was more of a deep blue or dark teal in color. I am including a link. You will have to scroll down and you will see the picture. Also am including a link to a picture of Capt. Bligh and you will see the difference.
French Naval Uniform


http://her-malevolence.livejournal.com/11381.html


Capt. Bligh


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WilliamBligh.jpeg


Hope that this may help.
Hi, Lights


thank you for the help, but no, the uniform was not so fancy, it was a long blue coat and it was straight, with golden buttons, and the hat was similar... but not quite that that is shown on the link.
 
Back
Top