• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

At the River's Mercy (neolithic era, maybe?)

Shiftkitty

Registered User
I just woke up as I'm posting this (7:20-ish AM, Pacific time). My head is still fuzzy but the memory is clear:

Late spring/early summer, deciduous trees are all around. I'm a young female, maybe 12 or 13 years of age. Almost an adult. There's a small tribe of us, maybe 12 or so strong. We're part of a larger tribe and are going to hook up with some others. There's a river to cross. A couple of the men have crossed and we try to follow their route. Beneath the waters I can see the rocks they stepped on and I do the same, but I slip. I fall into a fairly deep section. One of the men begins to wade out to get me and I try to swim to meet him, but a current down deep catches me and pulls me away. I don't understand, because the surface looked like it wasn't moving that fast. I'm being pulled along and I smack up against some rocks. I try to grab on, but they're slick. I hear a roar and how I wish it was the roar of some predator, but it's not. It's the waterfall.

The tribe is now running along the riverbank as fast as they can. One of the men is trying to get ahead of me to throw a fiber rope but the current is too swift. I can't make any headway going sideways. The current keeps pushing me back. I'm being thrashed around, swallowing some of the river as it tries to drown me. I keep my head above water and I see the end of the river coming. I'm at the point of no return. The water sucks me under right at the edge and I come up just in time to see the drop I'm about to take. I scream as loud as I can. I scream out of fright, I scream out of anger, and I scream to the gods to spare me. It's all to no avail. I reach furiously, praying for some tree root sticking out for me to grab on to. I hope for a nearby ledge where the most I'll suffer is a broken bone. It's hopeless and I resign myself to the fall. I am doomed.

It's a very, very long ways down. I actually feel myself leave my body at the time that I resign myself to my fate. I watch from outside and just behind as my body smashes against rocks jutting out. I feel no pain. Finally, about halfway down, I find my ledge... face first. I see my face explode against the cruel platform that, had it been a little higher, might have been my savior. I am now a crumpled heap of torn flesh and broken bone. That body can no longer sustain life.

I am aware I am floating near my body. I look up and the men are trying to figure out how to get down to me. I call to them though I know they can't hear. "Don't just leave me here to rot! Take me to where the land can make better use of me!" I look back at my body. I am floating away, higher and higher. My people are sad, but it will pass. I was not the only young one in the tribe. There are others, and there will always be others.

This was where I woke up. I don't know where I was in this dream. I want to say Yosemite Falls because of the color of the rock, but that would have made the tribe Native American. This doesn't quite click because the men had facial hair, and it's my understanding that Native Americans can't normally grow facial hair. Is this incorrect?
 
Wow. Did you wake up because of this dream? That would do it, I think. Native Americans are actually related to Asians. Their DNA has been traced back to a specific village in Siberia. That's why so many Native American, Inuit, eskimo, etc. look Asian. Asian males have little body hair, not just facial hair.
 
First of all, Wow! What a dream, and what an experience. I have heard that Native American men have some facial hair, but it is sparse. They scrape off what little there is. I'm thinking some Mongol tribe, on the move during the ice age? Were the beards full, or scanty?
 
The beards were full but short. Yeah, the dream did wake me up. It was like "Okay, show's over. Now do you know why you hate heights and loss of control in certain situations?"


That was what made me angry in my dream, the fact that there was nothing I could do about my situation. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do anything but get pulled by the water. It was enfuriating. If the man with the rope could have gotten ahead of me, I could have grabbed the rope and had a chance.


Now I DO love swimming. I thought about that as I woke up. I have been caught at the tip of an undertow while swimming in the ocean. I was able to get free and was quite aware of the danger, but I still enjoy swimming immensely, the deeper the water the better. (When I was little I used to cling to one of those dense foam paddleboards and pretend that I was the last survivor of a shipweck, adrift somewhere out in the ocean, hoping some other ship might pass by that I could call out to. Hmmm...) So apparently, I didn't blame the river. I don't think I blamed anything except the overall circumstances. But that's the second life I remember dying from a fall in.


I'm trying to see if I can remember how long a time I fell for. When I hit I was about half-way down. That might give me an idea of how tall the waterfall was. I want to say it was about 8 seconds, but I know time in a dream can distort.


(Hmm, afterthought. One of the men did have slightly Asian features. His eyes were more almond-shaped, but his hair was a medium brown. He was one with very little facial hair and a thin but long moustache that started at the outer edges of his upper lip. Maybe a half-breed? Could this have been somewhere between Europe and Asia?)
 
There is a book called "1492" that talks about trips the Chinese took to the Pacific North West, that predated Columbus. I haven't read it - Husband did, and he's not home for me to ask. Supposedly, some of the Chinese stayed, and intermarried with local tribes. Waterfalls and the Pacific North West make sense. I will search out the book, to make sure I didn't get the name wrong.
 
What did the weather feel like? Temperature, humidity, etc. Tropical or forest? It sounds like either Asia or the Americas. Pacific Island maybe? What was the clothing like? Skin color?
 
BriarRose said:
There is a book called "1492" that talks about trips the Chinese took to the Pacific North West, that predated Columbus.
I always thought the first Chinese came during the California Gold Rush in mid 1800's.
 
Not according to "Husband", and this book, which by the way, has awakened controversy. I can't find it among the thousands on my shelves. I'll update with the author later. (And make sure it's the right book!)
 
Okay, correction. The book is called "1421, The year the Chinese discovered America", by Gavin Menzies. cover face I didn't read it - just heard people discussing it!
 
can you recall the facial features? Sounds like it could be before racial differences were noticable.
 
I think the book about the Chinese was debunked. I had heard of it, and it came out at a time when it was being pushed that the Chinese discovered everything while everyone else was sitting around picking their noses, and whatever anybody has, the Chinese had it first, only better. I never read it, though, so its approach may be different.


Weather was pleasantly warm, and the water was chilly, but not in a suck-the-breath-right-out-of-your-lungs way. The trees were not tropical. As to what kind they were I couldn't say. I can't name one tree from another unless it's screamingly obvious. I just know they weren't tropical. I didn't notice any pines or the like.


Clothing was light. Tanned skins, nothing really furry. Trying to bring the image in, I think it was from some kind of bull or something for the most part. Our own skins were mostly lightly tan. My hair color was a dark brown. Others varied from black to brown.


Facial features? I can only describe them as "normal"!:laugh: There was the one who I thought was maybe a half-breed, with slightly more almond shaped eyes and the thin foo-manchu 'stache going on. He had high cheekbones. (I can't believe the censors wouldn't let me spell the name of that moustache style correctly!!!)


I do get the feeling that everyone had brown eyes, but I doubt that would do much for locating a very small tribe. With only about 12 people, there probably won't be much variety!
 
Shiftkitty said:
My hair color was a dark brown. Others varied from black to brown.
I could be wrong, but I think most native Americans have black hair like Asians. This is OT, but I remember reading a news story back around 1972 after Nixon went to China. There was a state dinner in Peking (remember the old spelling?) and one of the Americans was a 9 or 10 year old boy. After awhile he asked his dad why all of the Chinese were staring at him. His dad told him, "You are the first red-headed boy they have seen in their whole life."
 
Not so funny to me. I was one of the first travelers to China as soon as they allowed individuals in and I got a lot of stares - especially when I had to use the open air toilets, where I attracted entire mobs of small giggling children. :laugh: OMG


Anyway - quite a dream, shiftkitty!
 
Shiftkitty said:
Facial features? I can only describe them as "normal"!:laugh: There was the one who I thought was maybe a half-breed, with slightly more almond shaped eyes and the thin foo-manchu 'stache going on. He had high cheekbones. (I can't believe the censors wouldn't let me spell the name of that moustache style correctly!!!)


I do get the feeling that everyone had brown eyes, but I doubt that would do much for locating a very small tribe. With only about 12 people, there probably won't be much variety!
LOL. Ok, normal as compared to our modern racial differences. Caucasian type, Asian type, etc.
 
Back
Top