• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Bragi's experiences - war and trauma

Bragi

New Member
For me personally, the most difficult aspect of having past life memories is that they're not something that is commonly accepted (in Western society). I feel that the whole process of dealing with these memories would be so much easier for me if other people were generally sympathetic rather than usually meeting the notion with undisguised disbelief. Even those tolerant people who claim to be 'open minded' and treat all beliefs with respect act as though they're just humouring me. The "I disagree with what you say but defend to the death your right to say it" motto is all well and good but sometimes what you really want is for someone to genuinely believe what you are saying to be true.

As I'm someone who is often regarded as quite cynical (I prefer skeptical but there we have it) about many things, when I confess to merely believing in the concept of reincarnation people that I know often react as though I've somehow let them down by believing in something based on 'faith' rather than reason. However, I disagree. It seems perfectly reasonable to me to believe in reincarnation. Unless you've been brought up as a Hindu or Buddhist, the primary reason I should think for someone believing in reincarnation isn't 'faith' but rather, experience. I don't see it as being on a par with believing in a religion (my apologies to anyone religious who may be reading this). Therefore, I can sometimes regard those heavily cynical of reincarnation as being rather arrogant. It's not only that they don't believe you, it's that they expect you, who has the personal experience of it, to doubt your own memory.

If I said to someone, "I remember that my fourth birthday party was dinosaur themed, that we played pass-the-parcel and the prize for the winner was a toy dinosaur" (true! xD), then unless I was someone known to lie about trivial things, I don't think anyone would dream of turning to me and saying, "Well, it's probably a false memory. You probably read about a children's party where this happened, or saw it on the television, so you assume that it happened to you." That seems quite ridiculous. However, it's suddenly okay to say this to someone who claims past life memories! God forbid they should assume the obvious, that it's an actual, valid memory of something which really happened. I know that they'd probably argue that you can prove that a memory of something that happened in this life actually happened, but most people wouldn't demand proof of everything that everyone ever told them about their childhood.

As well as the general annoyance of being treated like a loony, when it comes to specifics, the worst thing is that I find it difficult to get proper help for the psychological trauma I've suffered on account of my past life during The Great War. I would like to be treated as though my experiences were real, and learn to deal with them from that perspective, but this seems quite impossible. I'd no doubt just be branded delusional as well as neurotic.


soulfreindly;174144 said:
It is the knowing that I continue to hold onto the triggers from traumatic past experiences,, this life and past lives. I know now that I can be holding onto past traumas and those post traumatic stress events are continuing to affect me..

Amen to that. Worsened only by the fact that your problems are misunderstood, and the inability to talk about them for fear of ridicule.

It's an unfortunate situation...

I don't even have any friends whom I feel comfortable talking to about my memories, hence my joining this forum.

I'm new, by the way. I'm very pleased to meet you all. Be kind =)

Regards,

- Bragi
 
Bragi said:
As well as the general annoyance of being treated like a loony, when it comes to specifics, the worst thing is that I find it difficult to get proper help for the psychological trauma I've suffered on account of my past life during The Great War.


- Bragi
Hi Bragi.


Nice to hear from you. Yeh it is frustrating not being able to get the help . I even tried some "therapists' who claimed to understand past life experiences. BUt they had their own agenda. So for now in this century it is that extra bit of work we need to do. I wonder if that is part of my journey. Through working on it by myself I may have learned a little bit more so I can help others in the future. >>?? If I work at things hard and find sweet success, it is that much harder to deny its sweetness.Some things are sweet but are not lasting and indeed not good for you . Having made that work my own seems to have made it more to be a good and lasting sweetness. Beleiving that much more in the goodness of that sweetness, makes me beleive in it more in the end . .


welcome and hope your questions get a clearer answer


Best of luck in finding your peace from that time..


soulfreindly
 
Thank you soulfreindly =)


I realise now that my initial post was somewhat long and rant-like. Woops. Anyway, I'm sure that you're right that when you work at something yourself the fruits of that work taste sweeter, but I don't think I'm really at a place where it's possible for me to do that on my own. =/ At least, I feel completely in over my head.


Hopefully it will get better with time.


- Bragi
 
Hi Bragi,


I would say for your first post to a new group and concept it was great. That sounds like a good idea to go to see someone who can give you direction. I did not do it all on my own. Forums just like this really helped me to settle things and find more peace. If you know of someone to go to for a personal consultation I think that is the way to go. Do you know of someone to go to??


If not in the meantime of finding someone ,I would say it is important to have a way to defocus from the difficult memories, the ones you have triggers to. I found solace in those people living and dead with whom I had/have positive supportive experiences with. Love is a healer and affirming that we all deserve love is important.


I think it is important to recognise the tough times , as it is sometimes just important to recognise that those events were real. But we do need those extra supports through tough times when we feel much alone.


I am wondering if you had a flashback?? That was what set me on the path of having to do my searching . That scarey flashback of that end to that life propelled me to do some searching of my past life connections. At the end to that life my body was put into an oven , my emaciated body already dead was being cremated without loved ones around to give me a proper send off . And in that flashback I was fully aware of wanting so much to be alive and of what I missed .


I beleive you can be free of painful memories. Sure we want to beleive we do have more than one life, but we also want to remain free of troubling reminders of the awful times . SOme of us have recognition of our past , others do not. That does not make us any different.. maybe just cutting edge--LOL This is a good forum to share and find a way of exploring and sharing. . .


See you around.. soulfreindly
 
Welcome to the forum, Bragi - it's nice to have you here! :)


There was nothing wrong with your first post, don't worry. ;) Are you comfortable with sharing your past life experiences here on this forum? We're all ears, of course. :)


Have you considered going to a professional therapist with your trauma?


Karoliina
 
Thanks Karoliina for the warm welcome =)


In answer to your question, I've had counseling, but I felt unable to talk about problems relating to past lives and also I didn't get on very well with my counselor and found it to be quite inadequate, so I stopped going. Since I also display some physical 'symptoms', although I've always suspected that they're psychological in origin, they've usually been treated as a seperate problem, a kind of 'mystery sickness' caused perhaps by an allergy, or just plain hypochondria. If I had actually had a massively traumatic event occur in this lifetime, certainly it would appear that I may suffer from PTSD, but I've had these problems all of my life in one form or another without such an event occuring. Which brings me onto a question I have; do you think that conditions such as PTSD can actually be passed on from life to life? I've heard before that the soul is the 'purest' part of yourself, but if it holds memory, surely it can hold trauma.


'Defocusing' as well is very difficult for me especially at the moment because I'm currently a student studying literature, and at the present we're studying the literature of the First World War. I'm finding it immensely difficult to approach my lessons with anysort of objectivity. In fact, it's a struggle to even keep my composure. Don't get me wrong, I greatly admire many of the writers that we study, but the fact that I'm forced to think about things I'd rather not on a daily basis is only making things worse. Of course I'd never mention any of this in 'real life', where I find it very difficult to talk about my feelings. I'd consider going to see a different therapist but I'm not sure where I'd find one that would be understanding. Any suggestions?


I've had numerous flashbacks over the years, triggered by all manner of things - a certain type of weather, or noise (fireworks + me = disaster). I've also had many dreams and especially nightmares that are incredibly vivid and realistic that are of war scenerios. I've had other experiences relating to other lives as well, but this is the one that affects me the most and I have the most memories from. Over time I realised that what I was re-living was memories from a past life where I was a British soldier during WW1. Interestingly, perhaps, I'm also British in this lifetime. Is this normal? Actually, I expect it's probably more usual for Westerners to remember lives in the West than elsewhere... I digress.


Soulfreindly, is your death experience Holocaust-related? That must have been very traumatic for you also. You have my sympathies, I'm glad to hear that you're working at getting past your painful memories. I also agree with what you said about seeming to be so alone with this burden at times, which is why I'm here... I'd especially like to talk to other people with memories from The Great War, as I don't know any, although I presume considering the huge numbers of people involved that it must be quite a common past life to remember.


To the owner of this thread, sorry for going off topic a little. My apologies!


- Bragi
 
Bragi,


Have you considered past life therapy? There's a list of reputable hypnitherapists internationally on this site.


Yes, it seems to be pretty common to be reborn in the same country and/or cultural area. :)


I picked out a couple of old threads you might like to read through:


By using the forum's search engine, you can find many other threads about the topics that you find interesting. :thumbsup:


Karoliina


PS. I hope you don't mind, I moved your story here as a separate thread.
 
Hello Bragi and welcome from me too!


I hope you will enjoy this space and I'm looking forward to seeing you around :)
 
I am reading along with interest. Hope to have time this weekend to reflect more. Welcome!
 
Bragi said:
As well as the general annoyance of being treated like a loony, when it comes to specifics, the worst thing is that I find it difficult to get proper help for the psychological trauma I've suffered on account of my past life during The Great War. I would like to be treated as though my experiences were real, and learn to deal with them from that perspective, but this seems quite impossible. I'd no doubt just be branded delusional as well as neurotic.
Hi Bragi,


Welcome to the forum. You are in the right place to talk about these things. Don't worry, most of the people here fully understand the reality of your experiences and are very interested in discussing every aspect of reincarnation - the memories, the theoretical side and the healing that can be achieved. Personally I have 'been there, done that, got the T-shirt' so I know what you are going through. You are not alone any more! :)


I know exactly what you mean about people's usual responses to anything past life related! Sometimes I used to try to talk to people about my many and varied experiences, always hoping I would meet someone who had memories too. They would mostly just say something like 'I don't believe in reincarnation' or 'I don't remember my past lives' as if that was the end of the story, no further remarks needed! I also agree with you that it has nothing to do with religion - it is just 'life' and need not have any specific religious connotation or interfere with people's other belief systems.


Are you going to share any of your memories with the forum? If you wish to that is a good place to begin. If it is too personal or upsetting, that is OK too.

the fact that I'm forced to think about things I'd rather not on a daily basis is only making things worse. Of course I'd never mention any of this in 'real life', where I find it very difficult to talk about my feelings. I'd consider going to see a different therapist but I'm not sure where I'd find one that would be understanding. Any suggestions?
Since this is causing you some distress, as you describe, I would strongly suggest a good, professional past life regressionist. I doubt that you will find a mainstream therapist who will know how to assist you and/or will not suggest that this is 'fantasy' at best or 'schizophrenia' in need of medication at worst! Past life regression work is fairly new, but is a growing field. Many pyschologists are beginning to specialise in it and report very good results with healing past life traumas and it is usually pretty quick - it does not take years and years like regular therapy - sometimes only a few visits. But it is important to go to a good, qualified practioner, not just a 'psychic' or medium or similar as proper counselling to resolve the traumas is just as important as uncovering memories. Sounds as though you have uncovered your own memories anyway! Here is a thread on how to find one: How can I find a reputable hynotherapist?


This is also of interest:


What a regression is and what to expect

Interestingly, perhaps, I'm also British in this lifetime. Is this normal? Actually, I expect it's probably more usual for Westerners to remember lives in the West than elsewhere... I digress.
Normal? Well ... people recall memories from all over the world, in every continent. People often tend to hang around with the same bunch of people from one life to the next - friends, family, spouses, etc seem to keep 'popping' up from one life to the next. This is called a 'soul group'. Some people seem to prefer to be in one country for more than one life, others like to 'get around' - it is different for everyone.


Take a skate through the Frequently Asked Questions section which is packed with useful information and you will get a good grounding on some of this stuff.


This is a good one for your situation I would think: Can the soul heal from past life trauma?


Again welcome and I hope you enjoy the forum.
 
Thank you all for your very helpful comments, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, I am grateful. I'll take into consideration all the advice that you've given me, and have read through those links.


I will post an account of my memories at some point, as soon as I'm feeling up to it.


Thanks again for your welcome and support =)


- Bragi
 
Hi Bragi,


Just wondering if you have any new insights to share and how you are getting along with everything.


T.
 
Back
Top