• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Chinese Ribbon Dancers

deborah

Director Emerita
Staff member
Super Moderator
I did a meditation yesterday that brought me to an interesting time and place. I was talking with a young girl, she was Chinese and she was showing me a blue bowl - that was round like a ball with an opening at the top that went into the center. It was beautifully crafted with delicate designs all around it.

I looked down and felt my small bound feet - and saw my own flowing gown. I have recalled this life before but never an aspect that displays the arts of the culture so profoundly. I was a Chinese woman, a governess and I was entering a performance that had dancers with long - and I mean very long ribbons flowing through the air.

After the meditation I did a search and found that the Chinese did in fact use very long silk ribbons in dances. The were called Chinese Ribbon Dancers and it dates back way before the time period that I lived during the Ming Dynasty. There were drums playing in the background and the dancers were dressed with very fancy silk clothing. It was the LONG RIBBONS and the flow and beauty of the dance that struck me; they were so eloquent and yet at the same time so powerfully strong was the impact -- visually.

If you have never seen a ribbon dancer (which I had not) you can see a young woman dancing with red ribbons in this link.

Anyone else struck by the beauty or power of an ancient art form within their past life experiences?
 
What a beautiful memory, Deborah! Thank you for sharing. :)


It's amazing to look back on the different forms of art amongst the world's many cultures and see how long they've actually been in existence. It's also interesting to note the similarities in art forms between different cultures and how they influence us now. Makes me wonder if the ribbon dancing influenced the present day sport of rhythmic gymnastics. ;)


Your memory was a wonderful validation - the photo was gorgeous.


Aili
 
Thank You Aili. I continue to be fascinated with cultures from around the world. :D Ceremonies, rituals and customs can be a way to validate memories; especially if what is experienced is something you have never seen or cannot explain until after - with further research. ;)
 
Hi Recycling,


Thank you for posting the movie clip. I have not heard of or seen the movie - so it was very interesting to watch that portion of her dancing and then fighting the guy. There were no fights in my memories - but that's Hollywood for ya ;) .
 
Hi Deborah


shortly after we moved to Japan in 1989 I saw onTV a report on Japanese tatoo art and became immediately fascinated by it.This was quite some time before tatoos came in fashion as they now are. I bought a couple of books - one a fotoband and one on history. I learned that the original japanese tatoo art goes back to japanese fire fighters who were the first who had art tatooed on their body - a full body tatoo - trationally the full back - both sides of the chest - as if wearing a west - the arms till the ellbows - leaving the inner side open to prove that they did not cover any mark , which would have classed them as criminals - and the legs moreless to the knees. It was always one beautifully designed picture.


And I just knew that I wanted a japanese tatoo -( not the full body ;) ) but a traditional dragon. It took me a long time to find a traditional tatoo artist ( only difference he used electrical needles - but same techniques) and even longer - more than 6 month to convince him to provide me with this dragon - I would not let go till I got it - He was very reluctant to do a single design specially on a foreign female - later we became kind of friends and I added a lotus flower - a botan = traditional japanese flower and some cherry blossoms - he would not do clouds arround my dragon- no clouds for women!


About 2 years later I visited a museum for old clothes and fabrics and was drawn to a yellow jacket - I don't think that this was mine - but I knew that once I had one just like that - coming closer to this jacket and reading the display it told me that this was the traditional jacket of a fire fighter.


I have only one flashback of this life - sitting together with mates in a spa - have the feeling it was a pretty ordinary life.


We left Japan in 1993 - I still love my tatoos - have added a couple more ( not in Japan - but all carefully designed and chosen ) - and all have a deep meaning to me.


And I do love Japanese art in general - I was always fuzzy about colours and patterns - they need to match - or it gives me a physical discomfort. I could never wear cloths - not even at home while cleaning - when the colours don't match. I like simple and clear lines:)


best wishes Clivia
 
recycling said:
In the House of flying daggers there's an amazing scene with that dance style. You can watch it here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aDPmJymd038
Thanks for the link. I've seen ribbon dance before but it's more artistic and elegant than this one. This one is definitely exeggerated with more power and kung-** element in it. I doubt that it was actually performed like that before. The ones I saw was that the dancers wave the ribbon (extra long extended sleeves) into continuous circular formations while running on the stage with elegance. It usually accompanies the music and instruments similar to the one in the movie although with more happiness and liveness than the one in the movie.
 
Thank you for sharing your experience Clivia. Very interesting. I wonder how many young people today - that are getting tattoos - know the history of Japanese firefighters? An excellent example of an old art form and the feelings.
 
Anyone else impacted by the beauty or power of an ancient art form within their past life experiences?


I am occasionally touched by this past life - the beauty and elegance of another time. The ribbon dancers....made an impact upon me for sure.


ting_ribbon.jpg
 
strange you should mention this I was just thinking ive been fixated on uyghur music and dance for the past month, i cant get enough of it and dont really listen to music much usually but I can watch them sing and dance for hours on end.I wondered why it resonated with me in a way that other music and dance doesn;t.They are such an ancient group.

 
I came across this on an art website. I am struck by the unique, intricate and beautiful work. Here's what was said about the decorating of the bride.

Lubinje brides of Kosovo are meticulously dressed and made up for their wedding day. It's done to ward off the "evil eye, and discourages gossip and speculation."
6a00d834cad15053ef015436f2a0da970c-pi



This is a wonderful example of what I mean by ancient art form and rituals. I don't have any memories regarding this, but I am fascinated and love to hear about others unique and often obscure and unknown cultural rituals and belief's. The video can be seen here.
 
thanks for the video :laugh: I love videos like that.


I once found a Chinese woman singing a traditional traditional song with music (the first link).


I found the music was so fun and festive, I started swaying in my seat and almost doing a hula dance. I thought I must have been mixing things up, but then I googled for a traditional Daur dance, and I found the video at the second link and sure enough, the dancers are doing a sort of hula dance right at the beginning!


The dance isn't high art by any means; it's the sort of thing you'd do at summer picnics or family reunions or around the house with your brothers and sisters for fun (in the days before tv!) But that's exactly the sort of thing that resonates with me. All the reactions I get are warm feelings of having fun with friends and family when I watch videos like these.

 
Back
Top