• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Circumstantial Evidence

fiziwig

moderator emeritus
Something odd happened a few days ago. But first a little background: 1) When I was very young, and just learning to speak, according to my mom I used a lot of strange "made-up" words. Eventually a new neighbor identified my made-up words as proper French. 2) Again when I was a child I am told I had a fear of appendicitis. Apparently every childhood bellyache would launch me into fits about dying of appendicitis, even though I was too young to really know what that was. (at 61 I still have my appendics) 3) In my early twenties I grew a beard and kept it trimmed in the old-fashioned ghotie style.

Fast forward to the present: Last week my mom got some old pictures from a family member back east. One of them just jumped out at me. I felt like I was looking in a mirror. The resemblence wasn't that strong, but the ghotie was an exact duplicate of my own beard of many years ago. And the woman with the man in the photo looked very, very familiar to me. The back of the photo identified it as the 1887 wedding photo of my great grandfather Ezra and his new wife Margaret.

Curious about the familiar feeling the photo gave me I contacted another family member back east who has been tracing the family tree to get more info on great-grandpa Ezra. His parents were French Canadian. Whether Ezra spoke French or not is unknown, but he was raised by parents who definitely spoke French, but also spoke English. He died of a burst appendics in 1897 at the age of 47 when his son, my grandfather, was only 4 years old.

Circumstantial evidence at best, but looking at that picture just really creeped me out.

So I can't help but wonder, where do I go from there? Or do I just chalk it up as a possibility and let it go?

It sure seems as if your grandfather Ezra could have reincarnated as you. While the evidence is circumstantial, it sure rings true. If you're unable to uncover more information about him, I wouldn't let that stop you form believing what you feel was real. Sometimes I think we have to go with our instincts.

John

I agree with John, especially because this isn't something you were specifically looking for until you saw the picture.

Do you have any other memories that would correspond to having lived during this time as your great grandfather?

Just curious to know your parents reaction to your speaking french at such a young age. How did they explain that?

Vicky

I think it's pretty good evidence that you were either Ezra *or* someone who greatly revered him in that time. Was your grandfather already deceased when you were born? Young boys always want to emulate their fathers and could explain the goatee and fear of appendicitis. But if you felt a sense of looking at a photo of yourself, and experienced any emotions or sense of "memories" related to it, I'd say you were Ezra.

Hi Gary,

Actually - I think you are in the perfect situation to find out. Since you have possibly identified the individual - before you go researching more facts- I would do meditations for a few months and see what surfaces. If you want - you could go to a regressionist. Document what comes -record everything. Then research more about great-grandpa Ezra.

You know the family :) - there are living individuals that may recall circumstances, and you even have photos. Since the situation also dove-tails childhood expressions and memories it brings it to another level. It isn't a new fascination - IMO.

It has been a while -but if I remember correctly you were into doing meditation. Right?

Thanks. And another odd tidbit

MoonDansyr: My Great Grandfather was born 48 years before I was born, and 25 years before my mother was born. My mother doesn't remember ever seeing a photo of him before, so I seriously doubt that I ever saw one before this month.

Deborah: Good advice. I'll do that before I research it any further.

Vicky: Here's another memory:

About 20 or 30 years ago when I was still smoking and short on money I decided to learn to roll my own cigarettes. I got really good at it, but the odd thing is that whenever I rolled a cigarette I felt mildly surprised how easy it was with all my fingers. For some reason, seeing the paper and tobacco in my hands reminded me of rolling a cigarettte with two missing fingers. What does that have to do with anything? The relative back east also informed me that great grandpa Ezra worked as a "shingle weaver" in a lumber mill. I Googled that unfamiliar occupational term to find out what kind of work it was. It was the job of cutting singles from cedar logs. I found this:
"Accidents were so common that, it was said, a shingle weaver could be recognized by his missing fingers, lost in accidents with unguarded saws."

When I read that my memories of "seeing" my hand with two missing fingers came to the surface. Creepy!

can you see Ezra's fingers in the picture or can a relative verify if they were missing.

Vicky

Ditto what vicky said!!

That's pretty good info! I think you're narrowing in on things. If I were you, I'd plan to go visit areas that Ezra would have frequented: homes, city streets, etc.

Vicky: I didn't think to look at his hands when I saw the picture. I'll check it out this Sunday when I visit my mom.

MoonDansyr: That would be great. Unfortunately Ezra lived and worked in Michigan, USA about 1800 miles or so from me.

I'd say the odds are pretty good you were your great grandfather from what you've mentioned. If you have his picture and yours you should put them side by side and see more precisely how similar you look.

vicky said:
can you see Ezra's fingers in the picture or can a relative verify if they were missing.

Vicky

I got another look at the photo this afternoon, and I can't tell. He has both arms crossed with his hands tucked under his arms, so his hands are hidden from view.

Since he died in 1896 I doubt anyone would know. The only relatives I've found who even know he existed found out by researching old family records and genealogical records. His wife died when my mom was a little girl, and doesn't remember anything about him either.

Hi Fiziwig, wow your story has some amazing similarities to my own..photograph, unusual facial hair, my great grandfather, recollection of death and residual physical "memory" in this life. Mine all added up to an obvious conclusion and in the end a regression that was incredible.

Tinkerman

Fiziwig hasn't been here in a while - perhaps he will pop in for a visit and see this. I am hoping for an update. ;)

This is really odd. Every time I start thinking about a topic I want to explore more, I come onto this forum and there is something exactly on that topic!

I have been thinking alot about circumstantial evidence over the last month or so. I think I might have 'identified' who I was in a previous life and the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. However, at the same time the logical side of my brain kicks in and just goes 'no, this cannot possibly be true'. Its as though its all very well thinking about reincarnation in conceptual terms or in vague 'I was a soldier in the civil war' type terms but to see a picture of an individual and know that they lived and breathed just seems too far fetched. Very confusing.

Very interesting thread! Thanks, Deborah, for bumping it up! I am very curious about evidence, as I think most of us would like to find it. A confirmation of something that is largely based upon faith in something non-tangible ... memories, dreams, flashes, and such. Do you think that the evidence comes to you, as some suggest things will come to you as you put it in your mind to manifest? Or does it also require some initiative?

Hi Archival,

For me personally - some of the verifications were sought after. Others landed on my lap. The most poetic and beautiful experiences come unexpected. : angel

Back