• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Could what this kid be calling people be related to reincarnation???? ;)

sensitive soul

Senior Registered
I was talking to my aunt the other day and we started talking about how my cousin's daughter refers to my aunt as "Mimi" (who is actuallly her grandma) and my uncle as "Poppa" (who is actually her grandpa). Of course, the first time I had heard of this, the possibility of reincarnation popped into my head.

And, of course, I go about any possibility of reincarnation with an open mind, knowing that there is a large possibility that it is a child's imagination and not related to reincarnation whatsoever. So, I started asking my aunt questions. I asked her if my cousin or his wife had told her to call my aunt and uncle "Mimi" and 'Poppa" and she said no. Then I asked her how old she was when she started calling them these names, and my aunt told me 13 or 14 months. They had been in a car and all of a sudden this kid called out "Poppa" referring to my uncle.

The loophole here is that my aunt (I think around the same time the child referred to my uncle as "Poppa") asked her what her name was, and the kid said Poppa. Then my aunt said , "No, what is my name?" and the kid said Mimi. She has called my aunt this ever since and as far as I know has never referred to my aunt as "Grandma" or anything referring to that sort of thing.

I'm thinking the calling my aunt "Poppa" was just because maybe she was mixed up cause she didn't know what to call my aunt and was put "on the spot" so to speak, and since she had just called my uncle this, this was the first thing that came to mind. (But, mind you, this is my opinion ;))

Whenever I bring this up with my aunt, she says she has no idea where she came up with these names or why she calls my aunt and uncle these names.

Another thing is that my aunt said that she and this child have a very special bond that is unlike the relationships with her other grandkids.

Is this another one of my "wishful" thinking games with myself, or could this be something more?
 
I'm curious about this sort of thing too. When my son was very young and starting to talk, he called his grandpa (my dad) Pakka. My father-in-law and grandpa were both Gampa to him but up until he was 4 almost 5 my dad was always Pakka, and he all but worshipped him. Now he's 7 years old and calls him grandpa. He doesn't remember calling him Pakka, (nor was he ever able to tell us why he did) and thinks that was kind of silly and embarrassing. It's a mystery to us.
 
It could possibly be related to a past life. I have not experienced anything to this nature in this lifetime, as I and anyone else in my immediate family do not have any kids, so no experience with this to share :( .
 
I think that it could definatly be past life related, when my oldest son was 6months old, ( he's 5 now ) my mother was pushing him in the shopping cart and she handed him a box of cookies. He replied with " Thank you ". He talked very early and we always called him the little bitty man, he also is the only child that I think ever gave himself a nickname when he was just a little over a year old. Hope this gives you some insight;)
 
HI There!

I would say it could go either way, but if your first instinct was YES then go with it. :D :D :D

Mimi - sounds very close to "Mommy", "MawMaw".
Poppa - another name for Grandpa.

When kids are very young like that they often have trouble with pronouncing words. Think of all the different sayings for spaghetti they come up with. ;) So, it may be possible that your cousin was trying to pronounce something else and came up with those names instead. Has she heard her own MOM say "Hi mom or hi mommy" to "Mimi". Or "Hi Pops" to her parents?


The closeness and bond between your baby cousin and her grandparents is very nice. However you can ask yourself, Do they spend part of each day together? Has this bond always been present? Are they caregivers to the child, unlike their other grandkids? Is there just more time together to form this bond?

My kids are not close in a special bond way with my parents or my husbands but they do love their on Aunt like there's no tomorrow. Could it be because she spoils them? Hmmmm ;)

Again, trust your first instinct. I bet it's right.

Take care,
Julie
 
Hello!
I have been reading this thread and it is very interesting! I will now be observant on what my son 14 months are starting to say!
Anyhow just wanted to share this info in case you didn´t already know;
"mamma" is mother in swedish, "pappa" is swedish for father. And Pekka is a very common finish name.
Just wanted to tell you!:)

Blessed be
Deerheart
 
How do yousay "fater" in Hindu?Doesn't it sound a bit like Pakki?
This reminds me of somethign- I started calling one of my grandmas aunt since I was very small,and now I have to correct myself, otherwise I'll still call her aunt- it's so very weird...
 
Back
Top