• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Do you know what your current "life lesson" is?

larali

Do you know what your "life lesson" is supposed to be?

I'm really struggling with this. I had a wonderful upbringing, a great family (for the most part), everything was hunky-dory, but I have struggled emotionally in many ways.

There is one thing that I feel "called" to do, which is adopting children, but for various reasons it's impossible for me to do that. I'm pretty frustrated about it, but maybe that isn't really what I'm supposed to do....?

Anyway, do you know what your significant lesson or task is in this current life, and how do you figure it out?

I suppose I see my life lessons in respect to the thought that keeps sabatoging my movement forward .. I think there is more than one lesson . Layers of them ..

I have been stuck for some time.. I remember the days of that feeling of movement forward , of synchronicity so I got the feeling the universe was behind me.. Then I got ill at age 25.. And my wishes of becoming that environmental scientist became dashed.. and the life I had envisioned had to change. I now see that what every has happened as my path .. something dictated from a higher power than I . Had I become that scientist I may not have met the people who opened me up to spiritual interests , I may not have done the same amount of spiritual work..

I was rather deep into denial of my feelings.. which is a common thing .. but as well i had this deeper need to know something spiritual which I was drawn to but I was too afraid to be different and take the challenge of being open about my interests.. I now see being ill was a way of keeping me alone and have more time to explore..

It was through delving into this that I could really see how some of my feelings were not only molded by my worldly experiences but also by my spiritual ie past lives and also a near death experience I had as a child.

Larali,

I don't know how to answer your question except to say that I too have been searching (and refining) my ideas on this subject for a very long time. I'm still working on it, but though I'm still looking for something "specific" I'm coming to think that it has more to do with what Soulfriendly is talking about. I.e., a particular "goal" may not be as important as how much we "grow" while we are here. This often seems to mean that we may often be having to face defeat in achieving the goals we set so that in overcoming defeat or learning to transcend it we grow in character, peace and spirituality. This is not the goal we had in mind, but I'm not convinced the "powers that be" have the same "goals" in mind.

Soulfriendly,

I have gotten a lot out of "The Confederate Soldier's Prayer" which was given to me by a "Yankee" almost 40 years ago. It was allegedly found on the body of a dead Confederate. My Yankee friend kept a copy in his wallet and found it very inspiring. I agree and think you will find the second verse especially meaningful:

"I asked God for strength, that I might achieve,

I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked God for health, that I might do greater things,

I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.

I asked for riches, that I might be happy,

I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,

I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,

I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for

- but everything I had hoped for.

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.

I am among men, most richly blessed."

Cordially,

S&S

Back