Ailish
Administrator Emerita
I’ve had two lifetimes with the Gypsies.
The one I’m going to share a little about – is from Romania in the early 1500’s.
What I remember – is a big, loving family “group” moving together. My mother was a street performer – a musician. She had many other skills and means of earning money for our survival. If someone didn’t have enough, the other members of the community assisted them, so there was never a question of going without.
When we were with our people – I was safe and loved. I knew I was “different” from others, but no one from our group was ever unkind to me. It was entirely different when we moved into villages to perform. I never went along – I stayed hidden back at camp. My mother tried to hide me from others when she performed. I had malformed legs and she was aware of how cruelly our people were treated by “outsiders.” She knew they wouldn’t understand or accept her misshapen little daughter.
For the most part, we were carefree and didn’t remain too long in one place. Most outsiders were quite hostile and “our kind” was not welcomed in most places. That seemed to matter little to our community. We knew people in passing everywhere we went - other groups that travelled together. It was a happy life – until most of our “family” members were captured – and enslaved simply for being gypsies. Eventually, even the ones who eluded capture were separated.
I found some interesting things while researching:
A good friend of mine in my present life – Adriana – is from Romania. I told her a little about my memories, and mentioned several words to her that I had written down. She said she did not understand most of them – but a few stood out as being distinctly Romanian.
Since Gypsies have such a long and diverse history, I’m curious to know if anyone else has memories of being among the Roma people? Either as a Gyspy – or as someone who had close association with the people or culture?
Aili
What I remember – is a big, loving family “group” moving together. My mother was a street performer – a musician. She had many other skills and means of earning money for our survival. If someone didn’t have enough, the other members of the community assisted them, so there was never a question of going without.
When we were with our people – I was safe and loved. I knew I was “different” from others, but no one from our group was ever unkind to me. It was entirely different when we moved into villages to perform. I never went along – I stayed hidden back at camp. My mother tried to hide me from others when she performed. I had malformed legs and she was aware of how cruelly our people were treated by “outsiders.” She knew they wouldn’t understand or accept her misshapen little daughter.
For the most part, we were carefree and didn’t remain too long in one place. Most outsiders were quite hostile and “our kind” was not welcomed in most places. That seemed to matter little to our community. We knew people in passing everywhere we went - other groups that travelled together. It was a happy life – until most of our “family” members were captured – and enslaved simply for being gypsies. Eventually, even the ones who eluded capture were separated.
I found some interesting things while researching:
“…the first recorded sale of Roma slaves was in Romania in 1385; a little later, in 1416, Roma were expelled from the Meissen region of Germany. In 1445 the Prince of Wallachia kidnapped 12,000 Gypsies from Bulgaria and put them to slave labour, and in 1449, Roma were driven out of the city of Frankfurt, Germany. The very first anti-Gypsy laws were passed in Switzerland in 1471 and in the same year 17,000 Roma were transported into Moldavia for slave labour.
During the rest of the 16th, 17th, and 18th century the harassment, persecution, and legislation against the Roma continued throughout most of Europe and Scandinavia. Punishment for merely being Rom in Western Europe included deportation (if lucky), galley slavery, flogging, mutilation, or even execution. Persecution of Gypsies has been the norm ever since.”
A good friend of mine in my present life – Adriana – is from Romania. I told her a little about my memories, and mentioned several words to her that I had written down. She said she did not understand most of them – but a few stood out as being distinctly Romanian.
In Eastern Europe they were enslaved to work either in the fields or in the households of the landowners. The slaves that had been made to work in the homes of the landowners had lost their ancient tongue and acquired the Romanian, Latin based, language. These Romanian speaking Roma have now spread through Hungary and the Balkans into Western Europe and all parts of the western hemisphere. The agricultural slaves maintained much more of their ancient traditions including the Roma language. The Levara, the Churara, and the Macuaya all speak dialects of Roma known as Vlax, and these are the most numerous and widespread of the Gypsies.
Since Gypsies have such a long and diverse history, I’m curious to know if anyone else has memories of being among the Roma people? Either as a Gyspy – or as someone who had close association with the people or culture?
Aili