dking777
Member
I recently ran across a series of shows on Vibe about a couple of guys (David Choe and Harry Kim) who hitchhike across America. It reminded me of my youth and the short and brief time I hitchhiked around after my amnesia. It was sort of 'therapy' for me. It was sort of nice to meet actual strangers and not have any chance of a 'hidden history' I was unaware of. It was back in 1979-80 when I took off with my 'thumb up' and just went on adventures. Strange, how I can still recall the faces and conversations of every single person who stopped and offered me a ride. While I was reminiscing about the conversations - I was sort of shocked to discover a possible 'past life' connection with someone who had stopped to pick me up.
I was on the Interstate (back in the day when you could get away with it) and was having a problem getting a ride on a stretch so I took off walking with my thumb out. Usually, you turn and face the on coming traffic but I was upset about not getting rides and tired of looking at the faces just passing me by. I heard a horn honk behind me - and I instantly felt dread. There is sort of an unwritten rule to avoid rides where the person pulls over 'prior' to passing you. I had trial and error with this and found that 'weirdos' are the ones who would pull over the instant they saw you. It is like they were out looking for 'hitchhikers'. I also got bad vibes from the ones who did this.
When I turned around to look - I was surprised to find a teenager my age - in a new car and dressed very nice. I was surprised how this 'feeling' of happiness rushed through me and I was very happy to see his face. It shocked me actually. You got a minute or so - to decide if the person you are entrusting your life to - is a 'serial killer' stalking his prey or not. (Maybe that is what made the thing so adventurous.) I prided myself in telling people - I only took rides with 'good and descent' people. I couldn't control this emotion that welled up and flowed through me as I approached the car and spoke to him. I couldn't wait to jump in and talk to him - and I didn't know why.
He said he was only going a short distance - which - was a good sign. (I never took rides with anyone who said they would take me as far as I wanted to go.) I got nothing but good vibes from him but asked my standard question. "Your not a axe murderer are you --- looking for someone to use your axe on." He laughed and said he had the same question on his mind about me. He admitted that he didn't usually pick up hitchhikers. When I did get in the car - I asked him, "Why did you stop before passing me. Most people like to check you out a little by passing you. I just curious why you had in your mind to stop before you passed me by to check me out some?"
He told me, "Something told me that I was about to see a hitchhiker on the world and something told me to stop and offer them a ride. I thought it was odd but when I saw you - it was like a part of me was expecting you. I think I stopped more curious about the prophetic moment."
I was 19 and he was 18. He thought I looked younger than him. I didn't say anything but I was struck with this odd sense that he looked very familiar. This (at that time in my young life) was very-very unusual. I had amnesia a year prior and was still trying to cope with the loss of so many memories of friends from my childhood. I had 'strangers' walking up to me in my hometown and they would relate stories of our past friendship hidden behind an invisible wall in my mind - and I would be standing there scratching my head nursing a massive migraine from trying to find memories of them.
What was not unusual for me - was to see someone (a stranger) and have memories of someone else in my childhood return to me - because the stranger looked like someone from my past. This - is what I thought I was dealing with - and part of the reason I hitchhiked through 'unknown' territory and roamed distant city streets and country highways with my thumb out like I did. It was part of my Doctors advise. (Only they advised driving to different locations away from my hometown and advised against my habit of thumbing rides.)
Out of the blue, the teenager asked, "Do I know you from somewhere? I keep getting the very distinct feeling that we have met somewhere in the past. I feel like I stopped to pick up a long lost friend. I can't shake that feeling. I got it the moment I saw you and it hasn't stopped.
I told him about my amnesia and how it wouldn't be my mind that would have recall of it - and it would solely depend on him to come up with a lost memory somewhere. I had never been to his hometown before - and he had no history of coming to my hometown. No possible connection in the past. He then said,
"Well, maybe we know each other from a past life then. A part of me feels I know you like the back of my hand."
I was shocked and turned to look at him wearing my shocked look. I asked him, "Do you believe in that sort of thing?" I told him that my family said I used to talk about it a lot when I was a child and having direct memories of people I had met but that was all gone to me. I told him, "If we would have met a few years ago, I probably would be able to pinpoint if that was true or not. Now, I am lost to it."
His answer to the question. "No, I haven't believed in it before in the past. It goes against my religion, but in this moment - it is like a very comfortable shoe that fits. Maybe it takes something like this to get people to consider it's possibilities. I have never considered it before like I am doing now."
We spent the rest of the time talking about other things and when he got to his exit - he pulled to the side of the road and I felt - neither of us wanted to part company. I had a schedule and was behind. I shook his hand and didn't let go for the longest time. He said something about 'meeting' again. "If we were meant to find one another like this, then, I am sure we are going to meet again, if not in this life time, then maybe the next." I told him, "Well if it is in the next life time, I will owe you the ride and hope the ride is longer as well as our time together." Something inside was telling me I had to walk away from him. I stood on the side of the road and watched him drive off with tears in my eyes. I was so shocked by my emotional response.
I told my Grandmother about it when I returned home. "How in the world can a complete stranger offer me a handshake and hand me more love in the process than anyone who claims they have known me for years." I had been trying to measure the 'inner love' from the family and friends who said they knew me after my amnesia. I told my Grandmother that is why I didn't get his address to keep in touch with him. It had shocked me speechless and I felt he was sort of shocked by it and we were sort of uneasy about the fact it was so intense. Then that voice came inside me and told me to just walk away from it. My Grandmother spoke about 'physical attraction' and I told her,
"If you would have been standing next to me crying on that road - and seen it and felt it like I did - you would have looked down at my hand and seen me holding a glowing ball of light. It was not my imagination. It was like a snowball that slowly melting inside of me - and the biggest reason I was crying was because the joy that was coming to me from it. Trust me. I think I know the difference between physical attraction and something totally profound that boggles your mind speechless. I just hope I am going to know enough to return that favor to him in my next life - if there is such a thing.
To me, he was like a Doctor who handed me a 'cure' that I needed in that exact moment and time in my life.
I thought it was profound to recall the exact details of that 'past life' encounter so many years ago and realize that 'less can be more' sometimes. I only spent maybe 45 minutes with this person - and yet - I still feel that he had one of the most dramatic impacts on me of any other person I have ever met in this world. I still well up with emotion looking back on the dramatic impact our meeting had on me.
Sincerely,
DKing
I was on the Interstate (back in the day when you could get away with it) and was having a problem getting a ride on a stretch so I took off walking with my thumb out. Usually, you turn and face the on coming traffic but I was upset about not getting rides and tired of looking at the faces just passing me by. I heard a horn honk behind me - and I instantly felt dread. There is sort of an unwritten rule to avoid rides where the person pulls over 'prior' to passing you. I had trial and error with this and found that 'weirdos' are the ones who would pull over the instant they saw you. It is like they were out looking for 'hitchhikers'. I also got bad vibes from the ones who did this.
When I turned around to look - I was surprised to find a teenager my age - in a new car and dressed very nice. I was surprised how this 'feeling' of happiness rushed through me and I was very happy to see his face. It shocked me actually. You got a minute or so - to decide if the person you are entrusting your life to - is a 'serial killer' stalking his prey or not. (Maybe that is what made the thing so adventurous.) I prided myself in telling people - I only took rides with 'good and descent' people. I couldn't control this emotion that welled up and flowed through me as I approached the car and spoke to him. I couldn't wait to jump in and talk to him - and I didn't know why.
He said he was only going a short distance - which - was a good sign. (I never took rides with anyone who said they would take me as far as I wanted to go.) I got nothing but good vibes from him but asked my standard question. "Your not a axe murderer are you --- looking for someone to use your axe on." He laughed and said he had the same question on his mind about me. He admitted that he didn't usually pick up hitchhikers. When I did get in the car - I asked him, "Why did you stop before passing me. Most people like to check you out a little by passing you. I just curious why you had in your mind to stop before you passed me by to check me out some?"
He told me, "Something told me that I was about to see a hitchhiker on the world and something told me to stop and offer them a ride. I thought it was odd but when I saw you - it was like a part of me was expecting you. I think I stopped more curious about the prophetic moment."
I was 19 and he was 18. He thought I looked younger than him. I didn't say anything but I was struck with this odd sense that he looked very familiar. This (at that time in my young life) was very-very unusual. I had amnesia a year prior and was still trying to cope with the loss of so many memories of friends from my childhood. I had 'strangers' walking up to me in my hometown and they would relate stories of our past friendship hidden behind an invisible wall in my mind - and I would be standing there scratching my head nursing a massive migraine from trying to find memories of them.
What was not unusual for me - was to see someone (a stranger) and have memories of someone else in my childhood return to me - because the stranger looked like someone from my past. This - is what I thought I was dealing with - and part of the reason I hitchhiked through 'unknown' territory and roamed distant city streets and country highways with my thumb out like I did. It was part of my Doctors advise. (Only they advised driving to different locations away from my hometown and advised against my habit of thumbing rides.)
Out of the blue, the teenager asked, "Do I know you from somewhere? I keep getting the very distinct feeling that we have met somewhere in the past. I feel like I stopped to pick up a long lost friend. I can't shake that feeling. I got it the moment I saw you and it hasn't stopped.
I told him about my amnesia and how it wouldn't be my mind that would have recall of it - and it would solely depend on him to come up with a lost memory somewhere. I had never been to his hometown before - and he had no history of coming to my hometown. No possible connection in the past. He then said,
"Well, maybe we know each other from a past life then. A part of me feels I know you like the back of my hand."
I was shocked and turned to look at him wearing my shocked look. I asked him, "Do you believe in that sort of thing?" I told him that my family said I used to talk about it a lot when I was a child and having direct memories of people I had met but that was all gone to me. I told him, "If we would have met a few years ago, I probably would be able to pinpoint if that was true or not. Now, I am lost to it."
His answer to the question. "No, I haven't believed in it before in the past. It goes against my religion, but in this moment - it is like a very comfortable shoe that fits. Maybe it takes something like this to get people to consider it's possibilities. I have never considered it before like I am doing now."
We spent the rest of the time talking about other things and when he got to his exit - he pulled to the side of the road and I felt - neither of us wanted to part company. I had a schedule and was behind. I shook his hand and didn't let go for the longest time. He said something about 'meeting' again. "If we were meant to find one another like this, then, I am sure we are going to meet again, if not in this life time, then maybe the next." I told him, "Well if it is in the next life time, I will owe you the ride and hope the ride is longer as well as our time together." Something inside was telling me I had to walk away from him. I stood on the side of the road and watched him drive off with tears in my eyes. I was so shocked by my emotional response.
I told my Grandmother about it when I returned home. "How in the world can a complete stranger offer me a handshake and hand me more love in the process than anyone who claims they have known me for years." I had been trying to measure the 'inner love' from the family and friends who said they knew me after my amnesia. I told my Grandmother that is why I didn't get his address to keep in touch with him. It had shocked me speechless and I felt he was sort of shocked by it and we were sort of uneasy about the fact it was so intense. Then that voice came inside me and told me to just walk away from it. My Grandmother spoke about 'physical attraction' and I told her,
"If you would have been standing next to me crying on that road - and seen it and felt it like I did - you would have looked down at my hand and seen me holding a glowing ball of light. It was not my imagination. It was like a snowball that slowly melting inside of me - and the biggest reason I was crying was because the joy that was coming to me from it. Trust me. I think I know the difference between physical attraction and something totally profound that boggles your mind speechless. I just hope I am going to know enough to return that favor to him in my next life - if there is such a thing.
To me, he was like a Doctor who handed me a 'cure' that I needed in that exact moment and time in my life.
I thought it was profound to recall the exact details of that 'past life' encounter so many years ago and realize that 'less can be more' sometimes. I only spent maybe 45 minutes with this person - and yet - I still feel that he had one of the most dramatic impacts on me of any other person I have ever met in this world. I still well up with emotion looking back on the dramatic impact our meeting had on me.
Sincerely,
DKing