• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

I'm Curious To Know: Where Were You in WWII?

I'm Curious To Know: Where Were You in WWII?

• America or Britain (Including the Commonwealth)

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Western European (France, Nederland, Spain, etc.)

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Eastern Europe or Soviet territories

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Germany, Austria, or Italy

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Japan or its terrorities

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, or other Central or South American nation

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other (China, India, Canada, Greece, etc.)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Scandinavian or Nordic nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not incarnated during WWII

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
I think I was in Sheffield, UK. Heartbroken that there could be a SECOND World War after the horror of the First. No wonder my nerves are shredded in this life! One World War is quite enough for anyone!

Looking at your earlier post it seems we have similar memories, curious_girl. Only I was in an English city. If I hear planes overhead today it still makes me anxious. And I like to see what they look like after they've passed... ("ours or theirs", maybe?).

I recently visited the city where I think I lived before and some construction work was going on, the whole front of a building had been demolished and you could see inside it, almost like a doll's house. I felt so sick and panicked. Like I'd seen too many houses like that before. When I looked on a map, that part of the city had actually been hit hard during the bombing raids in WWII. Such an odd feeling.

If my research is accurate, then I died in Hong Kong and was buried at the Sai Wan War Cemetery.

ROBERTS, Warrant Officer Class II (M.Q.M.S.), GEORGE WILLIAM, 1863133. 40 Fortress Coy. Royal Engineers. 19th December 1941. Age 34. I.?B.?8.

Whippoorwill said:
Looking at your earlier post it seems we have similar memories, curious_girl. Only I was in an English city. If I hear planes overhead today it still makes me anxious. And I like to see what they look like after they've passed... ("ours or theirs", maybe?).
It's really strange that you should say that Whipp because I'm the exact same way!! :)

I live in the UK, quite close to a couple of military air bases, so we have really low flying planes here. I absolutely HAVE to go and see what sort of plane is flying over as they pass. But at night, I get ridiculously anxious and freeze as they pass over. I think this is partially because I can't see what kind of plane it is~

It's especially scary when they're flying over lower than usual at night... As they pass they make a sound similar to kamikaze...

ColourODarkness said:
It's especially scary when they're flying over lower than usual at night... As they pass they make a sound similar to kamikaze...
Maybe night time planes remind you of the Blitz? I assume the planes flying in your area today are all jets? The sound is quite different than the old planes used in WWII.

Hello ColourODarkness! Oh, it's fantastic to share that odd sensation with someone else! I live near a small airfield (also in the UK) and we mainly have light aircraft overhead, but rather a lot of them!

I've often wondered how much sense my compulsion makes. I know people had guide books to spotting enemy aircraft during WWII. I wonder, would I have recognized the difference between the engine sounds of the smaller Allied and Axis planes? Or would I have needed visual clues also? Because that could make or break my feeling that this is past life related! Although running outside to look at planes doesn't seem like a great idea during wartime, but it's a sensation I seem to have, nonetheless!

I too used to panic if I could only HEAR the planes, at night or early in the morning. I'd wake with my heart pounding! Since I've done self-hypnosis and come to terms with that life (real or imagined!) I've felt a little better. Although my stomach still seems to drop and I still feel the need to identify the plane whenever I hear one.

The area I believed I lived in was bombed quite heavily during WWII, so it would make sense to have that dread of engine sounds. I've also always dreamed about seeing a plane come down. I can't identify any crashes near where I think I was living (although there were many across the city), but I only have census data up to 1911 and I haven't really had many detailed memories past 1916 (although I know I survived WWII), so who knows?. Perhaps one day it will all make sense! :thumbsup:

argonne1918 said:
Maybe night time planes remind you of the Blitz? I assume the planes flying in your area today are all jets? The sound is quite different than the old planes used in WWII.
We get high speed jets, biplanes, large Hercules carriers, all sorts! Sometimes the Hercules fly so low you can see all 4 propellers :) and they always pass over in groups of 2 or 3, sometimes flying over 3 or 4 times a day!!

This is a picture I took of one passing over as I walked the dog~ I've seen them much lower than that but hell are they loud!!

IMG_20141030_153731.jpg

ColourODarkness said:
We get high speed jets, biplanes, large Hercules carriers, all sorts! Sometimes the Hercules fly so low you can see all 4 propellers :) and they always pass over in groups of 2 or 3, sometimes flying over 3 or 4 times a day!!
It's interesting that the Air Force is still using the C-130 Hercules more than 50 years after it was introduced. But now they have turboprop engines that are jet engines with propellers on them. The Hercules can land and take off from shorter runways than regular jets. That means they can go into remote areas the regular jets can't. Also because they are slower they are ideal for dropping paratroops.

ColourODarkness said:
Sounds like it's a training base. New pilots have to practice take offs and landings. Sometimes they do "touch and go" where as soon as the wheels touch the ground they immediately take off again. When I was a kid there was a U.S. Air Force base about 60 miles from where I lived. This was during the Cold War and the base was a major B-52 training base. 24 hours a day the bombers and KC 135 tankers were constantly circling the area and doing "touch and go" landings. I'm sure the citizens of the two towns close to the base heard the noise day and night. But they never complained because the base was the town's largest employer and the cities needed the government money. Since the base closed about 15 years ago the two towns have suffered economically.

I was in Germany. I was born there and left the country at the end of the war to save myself.

When I was younger I had memories of working for the United States in a very recent life, that was confusing because later I knew I was in Germany during WWII.

Well both were true. I was saved by the americans at the end of the war not because they were nice to me, but because I was useful for them.

Jenla said:
I was saved by the americans at the end of the war not because they were nice to me, but because I was useful for them.
Without the Nazi rocket scientists there would be no American or Russian space programs. It was the Germans under Werner von Brahn who designed the Saturn 5 moon rocket. Unlike the space shuttle which came later, the Saturn 5 always worked and never blew up. It was discontinued in the 70's because a certain political party insisted on cutting the space program budget. The result was two space shuttles that were lost.

Oh, snap! Did I read it correctly?

Hello everyone:

Well, I'm not sure if I understood the poll. I felt I was American but died in a B26 crash in what I felt was France or possibly Germany, from AA guns after a bombing run.

So, was American, probably stationed out of the UK, but died in Europe so marked 'American / British".

argonne1918 said:
Without the Nazi rocket scientists there would be no American or Russian space programs. It was the Germans under Werner von Brahn who designed the Saturn 5 moon rocket. Unlike the space shuttle which came later, the Saturn 5 always worked and never blew up. It was discontinued in the 70's because a certain political party insisted on cutting the space program budget. The result was two space shuttles that were lost.
Ahh! Your post sparked a this-life memory. ;-) In 8th grade (this would've been about 1968), I had a science teacher, Mrs. McPherson, who LOVED science and who LOVED Dr. von Braun. Mrs. Mac was an older lady in 'sensible shoes' and she had everyone really frightened of her and she was tough on everyone, but I always thought she was a marshmallow inside. She liked me.

I just looked her up and found she died in 1994 at age 80. So she wasn't as old as I thought in 1968. She'd have been just 55. Amazing the perceptions of youth, huh?

Owl said:
I do have though Anti-Franco people in my family, but I don't think I even cared about Franco at all in my past life.
Correction, I just asked family, they were actually PRO Franco... although they couldn't say if they were phalangists or not. So in a way, not a bad political environment for a Dead Nazi.

Last edited:
TheCuriousOne said:
NOTE: I understand that some memories of this time may be uncomfortable. The least I am asking you to do is vote. You do not have to post your memories if you don't want to.
P.S. I'm sure there are other countries besides those, but I only used the most well known ones. Please elaborate if your poll choice was not listed or was in a grouping.
During World War II and the Holocaust in the middle of the twentieth century I had possible duel incarnations as a British soldier in Great Britain and as a European Jewish girl somewhere in Nazi controlled Europe.

I was safely tucked away as a future Peronist in Argentina while all this was happening. I noticed that only one other person marked Latin America, and being as curious as I am I wonder who that person was and what country it was that they were in. Of course, if the other person doesn't feel like responding, I understand completely.

argonne1918 said:
You should add another option, such as not alive then, etc. I was killed in 1918, then reborn in 1950. But I think I did some observing during WWII from the other side.
In another post, you mentioned growing up in, I think you indicated, the Midwest near a base. Just curious as to which base / town.

argonne1918 said:
Sounds like it's a training base. New pilots have to practice take offs and landings. Sometimes they do "touch and go" where as soon as the wheels touch the ground they immediately take off again. When I was a kid there was a U.S. Air Force base about 60 miles from where I lived. This was during the Cold War and the base was a major B-52 training base. 24 hours a day the bombers and KC 135 tankers were constantly circling the area and doing "touch and go" landings. I'm sure the citizens of the two towns close to the base heard the noise day and night. But they never complained because the base was the town's largest employer and the cities needed the government money. Since the base closed about 15 years ago the two towns have suffered economically.
This was the post.

Now I remember. It was Castle AFB near Merced, CA. If you google something like "Castle AFB brats" you will find stories from people who grew up there while their fathers were stationed there. From Highway 99 you could see B-52s and KC-135 tankers circling and making touch and go landings. The base closed in the 1990s.

dunkirk solider

I am not a believer in re-incarnation as yet. As I am a ' traditional Christian'.

But if I were to believe in it, I think I know who I was in at least 3 lives!

The last one is I think I ws my own grandfather who died in WW2 in 1940 at aged 23 leaving a widow and my 3 year old dad behind. The reason I think this is because as long as I can remember I could not take my eyes of the photo of him in uniform and I have had a life long fascination about him. Finally when I was able to go to Dunkirk and see the monument with his name on ( as his body was never found) I took my Dad ( who had been to the place before to visit his Dads name) This time we both broke down and held each other- I felt this need to comfort my own father like a dad would! Also my grandad dies by drowning and I cannot put my head under water I never have been able too. Also my grandmother took my dad to New Zealand in 1950 emigrated from Britain, where i was born but I have not liked NZ and always wanted to return to UK, where I now reside and will stay. Although we did try to live in uk when i was achild, we always returned to NZ for my mother, after her early death in 201 I immigrated to Uk even though I have grown up children from a previous marriage in NZ still. I dont want to ever leave Britain.

The other live i think i was is because as a girl of 8 we traveled to Scotland ( as my mums heritage is Scottish) I know nothing of the history of Glen coe but when we were there I looked over a shear cliff with my Dad and I saw men in kilts covered in blood, i could smell blood too, I told my Dad he just said I had a good imagination ( this I was often told) as my parents were and are Christians too. I found out later about the bloody history of Glencoe. My mother was of a Campbell!

Then recently I visited Olympia for the first time ever, or so I thought. While there I had the strong feeling of Dejavu. I sat on a stone just out side the stadium for a minute to rest. Suddenly, I was looking out from my own eyes but seem to be another person. I could not see myself but a middle aged man in a tunic approached me, when to say something to me, then I woke out of it.

When I was a small child we visited Stonehenge my dad sat me on the so called 'sacrificial alter stone' in the circle ( you could roam about Stonehenge in those days late 1960s). Maybe he told me it was the place they sacrificed virgins, I can't remember but I remember pleading with him to take me off it. Now if he had given me auto suggestion, I was not old enough to know what he was talking about, i didnot know what scarifice mean;t or what virgins were. All I know is that I was petrified of sitting on it.

As a child I often had 'feelings ' about a place and more so i would if I touched the walls or part of the old bits in a place or building ( which I often felt a 'pull' to do )

Can anybody help me to understand any of this?

Alfred1940 is online now Report Post

This is an interesting thread. It was a time period that had repercussions worldwide, so it makes sense that many people who have memories of that time period could have been anywhere in the world. I wonder why so many people seem to have been based in Europe or North America. I wonder if some people remember WWII and associate it with countries in those regions immediately or if people who lived in those places are more likely to remember for some reason. Who knows?

Personally, I can't say I've ever had any memories about that time period that could be related to past lives. I've never felt extremely drawn to it, either, even though I think it's interesting to learn about (but that's just due to its influences in today's world and my interest in history in general).

I was in Austria but I don't see ANY OPTION for this! Anyway I know it because in my memory I saw myself spending time reading a book under a tree at the hofburg palace in Vienna.

mariolita said:
I was in Austria but I don't see ANY OPTION for this! Anyway I know it because in my memory I saw myself spending time reading a book under a tree at the hofburg palace in Vienna.
I think you've posted in this thread already ;) but if it helps, the poll isn't sorted by countries but by regions. You can pick "other" if you don't feel like any of the stated regions of Europe don't apply to Austria. :)

Next question: Has anyone ever wished they were someone else in WW2 than they were?

For example me, I wish I was Polish Resistance, or at least '44 Warsaw Uprising (not the same as Ghetto Uprising!) But I have absolutely zero memories of being such, so I wonder where that desire comes from. Could it be because of my current life ancestors, or because who is considered being good or bad (which in itself is not fair, especially if we cannot decide where we get born!)

But I know by now for my soul it was more of a learning experience to be whom I were and not the wannabe deal... AND it is now, as I must let go of hating some people.. because it's my own pl's... duh.

And also I wish everyone is heard out no matter where they were (historical and pl's)... some are demonized unrightfully.... one thing is one thing...

You obviously have some guilt to sort through in this life from the past Demi, which is probably why you wished you were Polish Resistance. You can't change the past and think of what happened as forming who you are now. If you were a different person back then you would likely be a different person today as well. I feel like we are all a collection of our past lives leading up unto this moment.

To answer your question, no I have never wished I was someone different in the past. I am perfectly happy with who I was and know that those experiences are valuable to me and are intrinsic to my being.

You are probably hitting on something, Zeon Char, and I agree that who we are now comes from many different lives, and that I know it deep inside that the way things are is the best way they could have been.

Ultimately it seems that there could not have been anything else that is "better" and somewhere deep I do not wish to change either, but there are some things that inevitably come along, and the challenge (for me, at least) is to learn to deal with it in a way that is constructive. In the end, truth is best, including being true to yourself.

Back