• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Lena

niamh

Senior Registered
Hi, everyone.

I promised Karoliina I'd write about my recently recovered memories. Combined with what I already knew, I have a little past life condensed autobiography. It took me a while to get up the nerve to share it, but here it is:

My name was Magdalena. When I was little, everyone called me Magda, but when I grew up, I got my friends to call me Lena because it sounded more modern and American to me.

I was born around 1930 in an Eastern European city, I'm almost certain it was Budapest. My father was a banker, very well off, a kind man who doted on me. My mother was a proud beauty, strict and traditional. I was a late in life child for my parents. My only sibling was a brother about 8-10 years older than me. I idolized him.

I can remember our house, listening to musicians there, a trip to Warsaw with my father. When I was about 5-6 years old, we had to run away from our home in the middle of the night. My father had made some enemies. Either the military or a paramilitary group were coming to get us. We were Catholic, so I suspect my father's "offense" was political in nature. At the time, I wasn't told exactly what was going on, so that hampers my ability to understand it now.

We were very fortunate, as refugees go. My father was able to keep most of his money. When we ran away, we went to America, to New York. My father bought an apartment in Manhattan. It was large and well furnished. He continued working, he had a job in a bank in New York. He died about 2-3 years after we came to America. I was devastated.

After my father's death, I remember very little about my childhood. My brother died sometime during these years, perhaps in the war (?). The next clear memories I have are of being a young adult woman. I married a fellow named George, who was a friend of my brother's and had been a Naval officer in the war. We had one child, a beautiful daughter named Madeline. When she was still in diapers, I took her and left my husband. Madeline and I moved back in with my mother.

My life changed very significantly at that time. I started using the name Lena then. I dumped Madeline off on my mother, who was happy to take care of her. I spent almost every waking hour OUT somewhere. My memories are a blur of shops, theaters, restaurants, nightclubs, and parties. I drank a great deal and took a lot of Benzedrine. I had a whole string of lovers. My mother considered my behavior shocking and shameful, but I didn't really care, as long as I could keep on having fun.

I met my friend Eva not long after I left my husband. She became the most influential person in my life. She was a foreigner, like me. She was a bit older than me, but still young, beautiful, rich, and full of life. I have many memories of us together, and we are almost always laughing. Unlike me, Eva had a good deal of common sense and compassion. When I was being reckless, she was the person who stopped me from going too far and hurting myself or others . . . most of the time. As I said, she was a lot like me, which meant that she could be self centered and wild, too. We were quite a pair!

This stage of my life went on for about 10 years.

I didn't spend all my time in New York. My mother had a vacation home in Florida and she used to make me go there with her and Madeline. I hated it at first. There was nothing to do there -- no fashionable people and only two bars. One year, I went slumming for recreation. There was a sort of harbor like place nearby (this is where I remember the shipyard scenes from). Near that, some men were building a bridge. They lived in that area in a group of little shacks. I took one of these men as a lover. One of his roommates had a local girlfriend, and she became my lover, too.

After that, I kind of settled down. I don't know if I felt like I had reached the pinnacle of scandalous behavior, or if I was just getting old. I was getting on toward 30 at that time (which would have seemed ancient to me back then) and may have been feeling my age. Anyway, I still went to many, many parties and drank a lot, but I started to spend more time just relaxing. The bridge construction folks had left, and I went down to Florida more often, usually taking Eva with me. I found that I enjoyed the quiet from time to time. Eva got married during this time, by the way. Her husband's name was Charles (I think).

A year or so after this, Eva moved away temporarily. She went somewhere (I think California?) for several months. While she was gone, I met Richard. He was my One True Love. He was so special to me, I won't even bother trying to describe my feelings because I can't. Anyway, we got engaged only a few months after we met. When Eva got back, she and I got busy planning a big wedding. My mother didn't want me to marry Richard because he was a Jew, but I didn't care. I loved him and he was a good influence on me. I stopped my wild ways and even began spending time with Madeline, voluntarily.

The wedding was still a few months off when Eva and her husband invited Richard and me to go out on their boat. (I still can't tell if it was a large sailboat or a small yacht, but you get the idea.) Eva, her husband, and I were on the boat, waiting for Richard, when I managed to stumble, get hit over the head, and fall overboard. Eva's husband fished me out of the water. I was taken to the hospital. My head injury was very serious. I remember lying in the bed with Richard on one side and Eva on the other. He looked worried and I didn't understand why. Eva went to get a cup of coffee and I felt myself rising up out of my body. I knew then I was dying and that Richard had thought that I would. I didn't want to go before Eva got back, and tried to keep holding on to Richard's hand, but eventually I had to give up. This was in about 1962.
 
I am impressed by your memories! You can remember a lot from that life! :)
Do you think Eva or any members of you family are with you in your present life?
What did you learn form that life that applies to you today?
 
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. It was hard for me to tell that, I've been feeling pretty shy about sharing. :o

I've only met one person from back then in this lifetime. My lady friend from Florida is now a college student who worked part time at a place I used to work. Sometimes I wonder if an old boy friend of mine might have been Richard, but I don't really feel confident about that.

My current life friend Rachel remembers Eva, too, but she and I don't remember each other from that lifetime, so we are not sure what the connection there was.

As for what I learned . . . some of the lessons are obvious -- don't waste your life drinking, cherish your children, etc. Sometimes, when I'm in a philosophical mood, I think that that Lena was supposed to learn about unconditional friendship from Eva so that Niamh could teach it to Rachel. Maybe there are more lessons to come, but that seems to be the one that's the most significant so far.

Oh, and Curious Girl -- it looked very different that what I expected, too! A lot of it really surprised me!
 
Wow, Eevee, I cannot believe you remembered that old thread. Yes, that was what I was talking about.

The whole "poles in the water" issue has confused me for a long time. I may one day realize that I've interpreted the memories wrong. I have so many fragmented memories of being near the water in New York and in Florida, with poles and cranes and without poles and cranes, near big ships and little boats -- it's hard to sort them out, but I think I've come up with the interpretation that makes the most sense.

What really made it click was when I figured out what the bridge was. Ever since I was a kid, I've remembered standing under something that was shaped like a fishing pier but pointed the wrong direction. There were always poles and cranes and a couple of large ships nearby. It finally occured to me that I was standing under a partially constructed bridge which was near a shipyard or harbor. I knew that my "friends" were construction workers who lived near this area. I also knew that they weren't long term residents like the shipyard workers might have been. So I concluded they must have been working on that bridge.

In the older thread, I described another fall into water. I have yet to sort out whether I actually fell in the water on two different occassions in two different places. I am very confident with the memory of the fall that killed me because even as a child, I could remember vividly how it felt. The fall into water that I described in the older thread was different, and although it came to me in a "strong dream", I am not sure how accurate it might be, so I left it out of my little autobiography for now. Maybe one day I'll remember more and I'll make a revision. :)
 
It probably was another fall, because there you described swimming and climbing out, and not mentioning of a wound like when you died. I would not be surprised that if Lena lived near the water, she fell in more than once. And IMO it is very clear that your described two different situations, one falling out of a boat, and the one in the older thread slipping into the water from where she was walking.

FYI it was not so long ago that I copied the relevant posts to the archive when working on the update, so that it why I still remembered it so well :) ;)


Eevee
 
Niamh! Thanks so much for sharing your memories. Did you journal your memories as they came to you? Did you get yours through spontaneous memories, meditations, regressions, or dreams? Did any events or emotions in this life trigger the memories??? :D
 
You are absolutely right, Eevee. I am sure that the two falls were separate events. I'm just not totally confident that the one that didn't kill me really happened. That whole dream was very unusual, I'm still trying to understand it and to figure out how much credence to lend it. It makes sense, though, what you said about the chances of someone like Lena falling into water more than once. It also occurs to me that since I was a heavy drinker back then, that would have increased my odds of having a clumsy accident.

Aaron, you always ask questions that made me think. (Which is good for me, so thank you.) I sat down to make a quick reply and just looked at the clock and realized I've been thinking very seriously about triggers for half an hour. Anyway, here's what I came up with:

I do try to keep up a journal, but lately I've been so busy, I've just had to make outlines and promise myself I'll fill 'em in later. Also, I lost my old journal in a tragic hard drive mishap last year, so everything I remembered before that is lost and I haven't gotten around to reconstructing it yet.

Almost all my memories came in dreams or in spontaneous flashbacks. I had a few memories from a couple of self regressions and mediations, but I don't trust them. I try very, very hard not to influence my own memories and I never feel sure that I've gotten unbiased material unless I've had a waking flashback or unless I've dreamed about something the exact same way several times.

I suppose I do have triggers. I don't see how these memories would come out of the blue. But it's hard for me to point to a specific thing and say "that's the trigger". Except for creme brulee. A couple of times over the past two years, I had a craving for it that almost drove me crazy. And whenever that happened, whether I actually ate any creme brulee or not, I remembered something or dreamed about my life as Lena. I will keep thinking about this, though, Aaron, because you've gotten me interested in it.

Right now, it's time for bed. Good night all.

Niamh.
 
Thanks Niamh!

That story is really fascinating. I know what you mean by wanting to keep your PL memories sometimes to yourself. They feel very private. I'm usually eager to share here, but not when my "real" friends or family members ask about them.

Have you tried to find evidence of her life - that she really existed and the names etc. are correct?

Karoliina
 
Karoliina,

I've only looked for "validation" using free searches on the internet. Maybe one day when I have more time and money I will search more extensively.

I don't know Lena's last names, so that makes it hard. I do think that I know Richard's last name and found two men that might be him. One is dead and the other, of course, very elderly. There is NO WAY I will ever feel comfortable enough to contact him or either of their families, so that's that.

If anyone ever stumbles across information on someone like Lena, I hope y'all will let me know. I am so sure about some of her memories that I have no doubt of her existance. But her memories are so scattered and fragmented, it would be nice to have more information so I can see if I put them together correctly.

Cheers,
Niamh.
 
Niahm,

I know this is an old thread but I am now reading it for the first time.

I am not sure if this will help but, during the 1920's bridges were being built all over the Florida Keys in order to connect them to the mainland. South Florida was in a land boom then and a lot of people had vacation homes there. Could this be a possible site for your PL memories?
 
GreenKnight,

Unofortunately we haven't seen Niamh here on this forum (or elsewhere) since March. :( Just to let you know she's probably not reading your question.

Karoliina
 
Back
Top