• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Little Quirks

Welcome Zeolocation!


I agree with Karoliina, and I'm curious as to to why you feel your OCD is past life related. Have you had any dreams or flashbacks of possible past lives that you feel may explain or be connected to your present condition?


I'm glad you found us! :thumbsup:

Zeolocation said:
Something that's kind of cool: I have synasthesia (mixing of senses), which in my case means I see letters and numbers in different colors.
That is cool!!! :D
 
Welcome Zeolocation.


Gosh, I thought I was reading about myself. I understand where you are coming from. You must be doing fairly good though, since you have a good husband.
 
Welcome zeolocation!


I too have issues with my feet but I believe it's from this life. When I was little, we always had to wear shoes and consequently I've grown up hating to "wear" bare feet or only socks. I always have to have shoes on and I hate going places where I have to take my shoes off. :laugh:


I also have synethesia, and I also see letters and numbers in various colors. I love it. :thumbsup:


Again, welcome and I hope we hear more from you. :)
 
Zeolocation said:
I've heard it said that OCD/anxiety can be related to PL issues, and I definitely think this is true in my case although I don't know the specifics of any past life that might have caused these.
Your thoughts on OCD - and if that could be past life related - are interesting to me because it is something that is a heavy weight for me. I had OCD when young but was able to overcome that awful affliction - or so I had thought. I now suffer terribly from the affliction of someone who always sees the glass as half empty and never half full. (Actually, I see the glass as having a hole in it and leaking all over the table and how will I ever clean that up.) I thought that I had recently read in a science publication that people who suffer from OCD tend to see the glass as half empty and that gave me a lot to think about (I can't find where I read that now - if I really did).


I started watching other people and seeing how happy they seemed to be - even when it seemed to me that they had nothing to be happy about. Because I am around a lot of people, I can take the time to really observe their actions and how they interact with each other. I found myself thinking about what a marvelous person he or she is, when I know that their life is quite challenging and yet they find this optimism about life. Even though my life is also more challenging than I think I can bear at times, I don't have that same kind of optimism that I was observing in others.


I was talking with my wife about this yesterday and I know that my attitude causes her some stress. She was telling me that when she was in her twenties and becoming more and more crippled from arthritis, that she decided to not let her illness destroy her ability to see the good things in life and be happy. Now, I remember that time in our lives very well and she did seem to find this inner strength to deal with some very serious problems. I guess that I didn't realize that she was having this inner dialogue about what kind of life she was going to have, I just noticed that she changed over time and was a happier person. In fact, she is one of the people that I just marvel at how they find this well-spring of happiness. She told me that I don't ever see the silver lining in the clouds and that is true - I know that I need to look for that silver lining.


Aili then posted about Carloyn Myss - "Why People Don't Heal and How They Can" and I realized that I do have these "wounds" that aren't healed. Are they past life related? I don't know, I suppose they could be, at least in part. But they are definitely from the present and I am not letting go of them - to my detriment. I am beginning to wonder if present familial "wounds" are, in some even small way, past life related and that is something that I need to think and meditate about.


What does all this have to do with OCD? Just that I read that people with OCD tend to see the glass as half full. And maybe I can't see the silver lining in the clouds because I am not healing and moving on. This makes a lot of sense to me - from Aili's post:

Myss said that “Your biography, is your biology,” and considering how many times we’ve been incarnate – that is a lot of potential baggage we are carrying around. Myss believes that “both literally and symbolically, what we experience permeates our bodies.” I absolutely believe that one hundred percent.
The two posts seemed to mesh for me and that is why I mention it. I am too busy to meditate about it for a while but I will do the next best thing (for me) and brush my little cat - that makes us both happy.
 
- Often if I hear or read a story that involves mysticism of any kind, I start to tear up. My Mom always used to tell people to stop telling ghost stories to me because I'd be tearing up, but I wasn't upset about anything - consciously, at least? The things that cause me to be teary don't have to be sad or moving - I'll get teary over "I think I was a sheep herder in another life." :confused:


- Whenever someone mentions a hypothetical child or children - i.e. "I saw some children on the street" - I imagine an Asian child.


- When I was little, people making "strange faces" would sometimes scare me. The "strange faces" could be anything - puzzled looks, exaggerated smiles, anything.


- Many of my closest friends have been, and are, people I "chose" to be friends with. There's no other way of putting it - I knew I had to get to know them, knew I had to talk to them. It's sometimes taken me a while to follow up with being friends with these people, but it's usually worked.
 
Looking Backwards, I also had this really weird song that I used to sing as a child, as well. In the house I grew up in, my parents had this dusty, ancient black trunk that used to be situated right underneath the ladder which led up to our attic; I used to sit on top of the trunk when I was between the ages of about three and six, continuously wring my hands, sometimes squeeze my fingers, cry my eyes out, and sing the words, ''There's nothing to do, there's nothing to do'', over and over again until someone would find me and make me stop. It's always puzzled me greatly, why I did something as crazy as that sounds, especially when I was so young. The words to that song almost make it sound as though I was singing about being bored, which I think is what my mom might have thought sometimes, when I was four years old and doing it - but I knew, even then, that it was a song of sheer hopelessness - all-encompassing hopelessness. And alongside remembering that song, I also recall squeezing my fingers because I believed that they were swollen somehow for some reason, even though they weren't. Which is even weirder, because at that same time in my life, I specifically remember thinking that my hands should be bigger, like the hands of a grown woman. I'm very sure that I was crying and squeezing my fingers out of confusion, because I remembered the way my hands looked when I was an adult in a past life, and I couldn't understand why I was a little girl again. :(
 
Raakel, how hard it must have been for you, being such a young child! Have you ever been able to learn more about the reasons for your behaviour? Were you ever able to connect them to a past life?


Reading your post reminded me of the people who left Europe for America - they took all they had in a trunk and went off across the ocean. Some felt pretty hopeless. Sorry if this sounds completely off the wall. I think the trunk imagery prompted my comment. ;) :rolleyes:


Lookingbackwards -

- When I was little, people making "strange faces" would sometimes scare me. The "strange faces" could be anything - puzzled looks, exaggerated smiles, anything.
I can absolutely relate to that... :S
 
Hi, W.A. Heart. Yes, it was definitely hard for me, especially around the ages when I was doing that sort of thing, singing creepy songs about there being nothing to do, and wringing my hands and squeezing my fingers. ;) Truly, I had a terrible childhood, and not just because of that. Of course I had a lot of memories which were definitely from lives I'd lived long ago, in other bodies, but with all the other stress that I had to deal with...Well, I don't know how I'm in one piece today, because it was very hard. I don't think that I ever lived as an immigrant who came to America with all I owned in an old black chest. That trunk I talked about in my previous post was actually in the century-old log cabin I grew up in when my dad bought it at the age of about seventeen. But he knows the history of the trunk, and of the house itself...I'll tell you everything in a private message, because it might be way too long and off-topic for this thread! :D
 
Raakel, I also find your story very intriguing. Like WA I'm curious if you've had any other experiences that could hint at what was behind your behaviour.


Have you asked your parents about stuff you said or do you perhaps have drawings you made back then? I've realized that many of my childhood games, drawings etc. were actually me living out past life memories.
 
Yeah. Definitely. I drew all kinds of crazy and weird stuff as a kid - I was an unusually morbid child, and used to draw people burning at stakes and hanging, for one thing, but I think that was mostly because I was exposed to tales of people dying in such ways at such a young age. I don't think any of those drawings are past-life related, because I have no memories of anything like that happening in any past lives that I can recall; however, I used to also constantly draw things like old-looking stone wells, mushrooms on wooden tables, and the recurring picture of this one tall, thin girl with waist-length braids and a slightly hooked nose, who wore what looked like sort of Middle Ages peasant attire. She wore a simple, loose dress tied with a belt and a kirtle. Actually, she looked very much like the drawing of the girl on the cover of a book called Matilda Bone, by Karen Cushman. I think that's the author's name. I have no idea of who this girl could be - I don't think it was me in a past life - but when I was drawing her as a kid, I always got the feeling that I was drawing the portrait of someone I knew. :( But the girl I always drew would often be standing beside a cauldron, for some reason. I wonder if that means anything? Sometime she would be stirring something in the cauldron.
 
Oh! And there's something else that I just remembered doing, which was something that it seems like no pre-kindergarten kid in her right mind should or would do. When I was that kind of age, I had this small baby doll, whose name I constantly changed, though I remember calling her Miriam quite often. I loved that name when I was little - Miriam - and I named at least a couple of my dolls that. I used to pull out the bottom drawer of a dresser that was in my old house, which served as Miriam's cradle, or something, and I remember giving the doll this long, sad look. Then I picked her up and walked with her way out into the forest, and basically just left her somewhere in the forest, on purpose. My parents kind of knew what I'd done, and asked me a lot of questions about it (very unkind questions, if I remember correctly, which I do, because I remember my mom calling me a weirdo, afterwards), and I told them that I was leaving Miriam in the woods because I wouldn't have to worry about her anymore. I never went back and retrieved the doll. Isn't that just insane? I must truly be insane now, and I definitely was back then. Past life memory of not - I don't have any memories of doing something like that to a child in any past life that I can think of - no little kid should go all emo and go through the motions of exposing an infant in the wilderness.
 
I also remember wanting to leave my youngest brother alone in the woods. Our house was surrounded by the deep, dense forest that you could easily get lost in, especially a little kid. But I didn't want to leave Jesse by himself, simply beause I was jealous of him as an older sister. I never was. But I knew that my parents weren't taking care of him properly, even when he was about a year old. And once, though I can barely remember this - but my mom often reminded me, scathingly, of it when I was older - there was a terrible thunderstorm, with lots of rain and hell when Jesse was one and I was probably four. Jesse could already walk as well as almost anybody by the time he was just nine months old, so of course he was able to follow my other brother, Benjamin, into the woods that day. Apparently, Benjamin and I were prepared to sacrifice Jesse to Odin - I'm not kidding, my mom says I used that word at that age, even though I should have never heard it before then - so the thunderstorm would end and not kill our crops. (My family had an extensive garden, from which came most of our food during the summer months.) So, Ben and I solemnly brought Jesse to a suitable tree, and tied him to it, quite tightly, with a piece of rope we had, that we always played with as kids. And we simply left Jesse in the woods, even while it was thundering and lightening. But later I snapped out of acting weird like that, and went back and got him, solelmnly apologized, and afterwards got him all warm and happy again. Jesse is maybe eighteen years old right now, and he doesn't remember any of this. Neither does Ben, but I remember quite a lot. My mom seems to remember slightly more. :confused:
 
I find it very interesting and not insane at all. You know, leaving children in the wilderness was a desperate way of getting rid of unwanted babies. It still happens in some cultures today.


Usually it happens in cultures that favours male children. If there were too many daughters - and the family was poor and hungry - it was seen as a last opportunity to leave the baby in a forest at mercy of the wild animals. However terrible it may sound it was for the survival of the rest of the family. Mind you also that in medieval times, and earlier, children weren't seen as real humans before they were past infancy. In my opinion it is most likely that you were acting out a past life memory.


Are you familiar with Roger Woolger's regressions? His book/cd 'Healing your past lives' focuses on childhood games/actions and uses them as a trigger for past life memories. I can highly recommend it. There is a link to his book here


Here is a thread about other people's experiences with his cd:


Experiences with the Woolger cd


:thumbsup:
 
Thanks for the link, Sunniva. Yeah, I've read a lot before about people abandoning children, especially girls. And it breaks my heart. You're right that it still happens in some cultures today - it even happens in the United States. A lot of social workers and other people I know with similar jobs have told me that there's quite a big predelection towards boys in the States, and that almost all the time, when a couple is deciding whether or not to give up a baby for adoption, they'll almost always change their minds and keep it if they find out that the baby is going to be a boy. Likewise, far more boys get adopted in the States than girls. However, I know that's not really on topic, I was just thinking (and typing) out loud...But it's weird, because I seriously can't remember anything that happened in any of my past lives, in which I abandoned one of my children or something. If anything, I recall being infertile in at least two of my past lives. I'm sure that I was infertile in both of my Biblical past lives, anyway.
 
I smoke cigarettes.


I always go to work at least a half hour early.


I'm extremely particular about my appearance. My makeup, my hair, my clothes, it all has to be perfect. I spend hours getting myself ready.


I absolutely HATE the cold. 90F weather feels comfortable to me.
 
Lulz said:
I absolutely HATE the cold. 90F weather feels comfortable to me.
:thumbsup: :D I couldn't agree more. If I have to choose between 80F and 90F, I'll take 80F, but 90F won't make me complain.
 
Raakel: You know, a friend of mine used to play morbid games with her dolls too. She would make me play games with her where she was a doctor, and the dolls were sick. The dolls that looked like young children could die in our games, but the babies weren't allowed to die.


I never had my dolls die or anything, but I had one weird experience. As I grew older, I of course stored my dolls away. Didn't need my friends to see them. ;)


One I found one of my dolls, and she was cold. I felt this strange sense of guilt wave over me, grabbed her, called the doll by the name I'd given her, and hugged her until she was warm (even wrapping a blanket around her). I was probably fourteen or fifteen at the time - much too old to still play with dolls, let alone think they had feelings. I knew that of course the doll wasn't actually harmed, but I still wanted to keep her safe. I loved the doll so much and felt horrible that I'd abandoned her like that. (Interesting tidbit: A friend of mine in elementary school named the doll, not me.) I think part of me actually thought I really had done a terrible thing until I came back to my senses again.


Gosh, so many things I've attributed to me/my friends being quirky that now have me thinking. ;)
 
I find myself standing in a really weird position at times. I do it without thinking, but I find myself stood up super straight with one or both arms behind my back, like I'm looking really formal or something. I'm not sure how to describe it. My friends joke with me about it a lot.


I also have this face that I make a lot. That's another thing that people always comment on, asking me "What is that look?" Because I have this smirk that I do all the time, for no real reason.


Maybe those are past life related things, but maybe not. I'm pretty sure they are though. I have a lot of quirks that could be.
 
That just reminded me of something my sister used to do when she was very little. She used to run down the driveway next to our house yelling "dalagaaaaaar" (spelling?)... as if she were charging into battle. Years later, she had no idea what the word meant, or why she used to do that. Any ideas on what that word could mean anyone?
 
ChrisR said:
That just reminded me of something my sister used to do when she was very little. She used to run down the driveway next to our house yelling "dalagaaaaaar" (spelling?)... as if she were charging into battle. Years later, she had no idea what the word meant, or why she used to do that. Any ideas on what that word could mean anyone?
I google searched the name, and I came across a lot of last names that were similar. Dalgaard, Dalagar, Dalgar, Delgar... also, "delegar" means to delegate in Spanish, according to some site I found. But the last names are quite interesting.
 
Time to add more!


I love hearing about your quirks! Here are some more of mine that I might add :)


- I have to unplug all kitchen appliances and make sure everythings turned off. I actually got my boyfriend into that habit as well lol


- I can't stand listening to someone biting into an apple. Or crunching ice. It irritates me to no end!


- old creepy dolls freak me out


- I like to keep blinds closed most of the time. I don't like people looking in


- I hate being on camera


- I can't sleep facing the window. I have to be on my back or facing the door


- I still always walk around barefoot


- it drives me nuts how my boyfriend places the dishes in the dishwasher. And I think he does it on purpose to annoy me haha


- the sound and smell of old wood boards like on the walkway outside of a western saloon in a ghost town feel familiar to me. Not because I live in AZ, but because I feel like I may have been here during the cowboy days as well.


- I feel drawn to silent films


When I think of more I'll add them to the list :)
 
I learned how to read, in this life, when I was about three years old. And according to my parents - I remember learning how to read as well - I caught on to all the letters of the alphabet fast. I also learned how to write quickly and well, but when I was doing so, for years, I was convinced that certain letters of many words (though I don't know which ones, now) were supposed to be silent; and then, I also thought that many other words, as well as names, were supposed to have another syllable or something to them which just wasn't there when you wrote the name or word out. Or something like that. As an example: The name Brittany. I knew several girls name Brittany when I was little, but I always thought that they should be called something that sounded like Britt-a-nee-ee-lee. And I pronounced those syllables weird. I said the name Leah sort of like Ee-lee-yah. Eliia. I have no idea why I did stuff like that. I don't know if it's past life-related or not, but it definitely was, and is, a quirk.
 
Here's a fun older thread I thought I'd give a bump. Ever notice how you, or others, might do funny little things and wonder whether they might be past life related?
 
Oh this is a fun one!


Okay, weird quirks:


1. I find it exceedingly difficult to be standing calmly next to/nearby giant, monolithic structures. I have the overwhelming urge to scream and sometimes I do scream, I just can't contain it. Even things that are marginally large, like being on a bridge walkway while buses are passing by from behind. More notably, I fainted when boarding a cruise ship (because the ship's size overwhelmed me) and when standing next to the Washington monument in D.C. I was fine until I looked UP and saw how tall it was. I work in major metropolitan areas and can't look skyward when walking in cities. I am not afraid of heights by any stretch of the imagination, I even worked as a flight attendant, no problem.


2. Places where sound is not easily identifiable. Specifically thumping, beating, drumming, or popping sounds. I once belonged to a social club that had a dance studio upstairs and I could NOT get comfortable or rationalize the reality that it was just a bunch of old ladies in leotards tap dancing upstairs, :-) I kept thinking it reminded me of horses hooves stomping at a galloping pace in the distance and I found it difficult to be fully present and unafraid.


3. Speaking of horses, I volunteer at a horse sanctuary, even though I'm afraid of them on some levels. These horses are all very old and kind though, so there's very little to actually fear. They're basically all 35 year old dogs, to paint the picture of how "dangerous" they are. Still, I'm afraid to walk behind them (even though they don't even know I'm there and couldn't lift their legs high enough to kick me if they wanted to).
 
I love to be barefooted, the second I get home my shoes are off. And unlike most women I do not have many shoes I may have 10 pair, and with the exception of tennis shoes they are all slip ons or clogs. I have alway disliked shoes on my feet, I often thought maybe in a past life I had foot binding done.
 
I love, love, love high places, especially when I can safely lean out and imagine that nothing is between me and the drop for a little while. I was on a bridge a couple weeks ago, and had such fun leaning as far over the rail as I could to watch the water swirling away beneath me.


Mountain hiking tends to make me feel giddy with joy, even when I'm tired, though I like a nice ledge or rail between me and a cliff, especially if the trail is gravel or crumbling. Maybe from my chaski life? The Japanese life involved mountains and hiking, too.


I used to "have to" seal myself in completely with the blankets as a child "to keep out the bugs." Even in summer, I want something wrapped around my body to sleep or I'll keep waking up. Sharing blankets just doesn't work for me because I twist myself up in them.


Recently I've discovered that piling pillows against my back helps me relax. I've never had this many pillows before. LOL Maybe from being the sleeping companion of a rich man who couldn't sleep by himself. I'm a "huggy" person, now.


Rain and even thunderstorms are the best, though I think there was a time in childhood when the thunder was too sudden. Once I learned to count the miles it no longer bothered me, though.


I love soaking in music, but only when it's live. You can hardly tear me away when someone is playing right there in front of me, even if I wouldn't usually like the song. All the eclectic music I collect on MP3 rarely comes out except when I desperately need a certain mood, to shut out the world, or to dance a bit. Most of the time I prefer silence.


Base and especially drumming always appeal to me. Recently I'll often just put on rhythm since I discovered that I can purchase CDs of just drumming. Need better speakers, though. The sound is supposed to go right through the chest and gut, not get stuck in the ears. This might be related to my Japanese life, since I have memory of taiko, noh, and kabuki performers.


I have always sung in soprano even though I have a more full tone in alto. Singing and dancing around is such a habit that my friends and family have teased me about it since childhood.


I learned to read easily as a child, at age 3, and advanced rapidly to adult-level capacity. I have always been a writer and illustrator since childhood.


In spite of my dislike of math, I actually have a pretty natural grasp of the process and do well if I focus. Usually I just pass math off to someone else or use a calculator for even the simplest problems. I may have been an accountant or business manager in a couple PLs, but am not interested in math now.


I can't stand deep water. It makes me feel like I can't breathe, though I love bathing and always have. There was one time when I took a sleeping medication before a bath, and had the stupidest panic attack, thinking that I might drown. Baths just haven't been the same since. :rolleyes: I had a near-drowning experience in at least one past life, and have the impression I actually did drown once, though the memory isn't here yet.


There is a certain type of walk where I use almost no energy to just ... glide forward? I'm not sure how to describe it. I figured it out while attempting to learn confidence. Now when I walk that way, people tend to notice me. Once I was even asked if I am famous. *headtilt* Maybe I'm tapping into a past life sense of presence? *shrug* It's relaxing and a bit meditative for me, but I can't always do it.


One favorite thing is to play dress-up. I learned to dress nicely by using that enjoyment on regular clothes and only owning "nice looking" things for casual, too, since I could care less on a daily basis. I like costume jewelry, specifically the sparkly stuff from the 40s+/- but I usually don't wear jewelry of any kind, except in "dress-up" situations.
 
Scarlet_3 said:
Oh this is a fun one!
Okay, weird quirks:


1. I find it exceedingly difficult to be standing calmly next to/nearby giant, monolithic structures. I have the overwhelming urge to scream and sometimes I do scream, I just can't contain it. Even things that are marginally large, like being on a bridge walkway while buses are passing by from behind.
Ugh, large trucks and buses passing always make my gut clench. I'm always certain they'll tip over or be pushed into me by the wind.


I wonder if you had a life where tall buildings, avalanche, or cliffs fell on you? Maybe in an earthquake or something?
 
Having been a macho-ironworker in my youth, heights gave me a buzz, but now the memories can sometimes frighten me. My life-long "quirk" has been the fear of insects, the harmless Mantis and Phasmatodea (walking-stick) can freak me out if they get on me! And, poisonous spiders would be cause to relocate to a different country.
 
Back
Top