• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memories from childhood

ColourODarkness

Senior Registered
I got teary today at a TV show that had shown a tap routine from Stormy Weather (1943), and I remembered that from a young age (3 or 4 maybe) I would talk to my mother about tap dancing.
I would put on her high heels, claiming them to be "the only shoes that sound right" and I'd dance around the house as if tap dancing. On a few occasions I remember telling her that I knew how to tap when she complained of the 'racket' I was making, and of course she'd dismiss me.
There's never been anyone in my family (that I'm aware of at least) that has ever learned any form of dancing, and I've been wondering if these memories may be connected to my life during WII as I seem to be most familiar with stars from the 20's-50's, Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Gene Kelly (pretty sure i remember crushing on him pretty bad... gorgeous young man haha!), who incidentally are also all in various well known tap routines!~

I hope more memories like this surface at some point! I'm incredibly curious about them~ Music seems to be a very powerful catalyst, so I'll see what comes up when I listen to anything that makes me nostalgic :)

ColourODarkness said:
I got teary today at a TV show that had shown a tap routine from Stormy Weather (1943), and I remembered that from a young age (3 or 4 maybe) I would talk to my mother about tap dancing.
I would put on her high heels, claiming them to be "the only shoes that sound right" and I'd dance around the house as if tap dancing. On a few occasions I remember telling her that I knew how to tap when she complained of the 'racket' I was making, and of course she'd dismiss me.

There's never been anyone in my family (that I'm aware of at least) that has ever learned any form of dancing, and I've been wondering if these memories may be connected to my life during WII as I seem to be most familiar with stars from the 20's-50's, Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Gene Kelly (pretty sure i remember crushing on him pretty bad... gorgeous young man haha!), who incidentally are also all in various well known tap routines!~

I hope more memories like this surface at some point! I'm incredibly curious about them~ Music seems to be a very powerful catalyst, so I'll see what comes up when I listen to anything that makes me nostalgic :)
Have you ever heard of "Bojangles" Robinson? This is where the tap dancing craze of the 30s and 40s started. Here are some clips from colorized Shirley Temple movies of the 1930s. Shirley Temple was the biggest box office draw in the 1930s.

argonne1918 said:
Have you ever heard of "Bojangles" Robinson? This is where the tap dancing craze of the 30s and 40s started. Here is a clip from a colorized Shirley Temple movie of the 1930s. Shirley Temple was the biggest box office draw in the 1930s.
I was obsessed with Shirley Temple movies from a really young age in this life, and I know for a fact I had a past life in pre- WW2 England so. I must've been a fan in the past 2 lives. I love her movies :)

Back