• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memory of sexual abuse?/updates/My son's other mom (merged)

Hi Crissy,
I know that you've taken Anthony to psychologists in the past but have you considered counseling with a licensed therapist that has experience in treating children that have been sexually abused?
Both boys may benefit from counseling. Typically, even with children Cohl's age, the therapist will engage the children in something called play therapy and they mostly just play with them but they can tell a lot from this.
Also, there may be a therapist near you that can work with both you and the boys. It sounds like you have a good handle on understanding that your ex has a disease but it might help to have someone to talk to so you can remain strong.
We're all thinking about you.
Vicky
 
Crissy,

I'm glad you're sharing this and getting it out of your system a bit. We're here for you.

However I agree with Vicky the whole family would benefit from someone professional to talk to.

Things are getting better already - stay strong for your boys.

Karoliina
 
vicky said:
Hi Crissy,
I know that you've taken Anthony to psychologists in the past but have you considered counseling with a licensed therapist that has experience in treating children that have been sexually abused?

He's been to 2 licensed psychologists. He stopped wanting to go but recently he said he may want to start back up again. He admitted to me last night that he just wanted us to be a family again and thought it would get better.

vicky said:
Both boys may benefit from counseling. Typically, even with children Cohl's age, the therapist will engage the children in something called play therapy and they mostly just play with them but they can tell a lot from this.

I don't know if I trust play therapy to much. For Cohl, yes but Cohl was not a victim at least not that we know of.

vicky said:
Also, there may be a therapist near you that can work with both you and the boys. It sounds like you have a good handle on understanding that your ex has a disease but it might help to have someone to talk to so you can remain strong.
We're all thinking about you.
Vicky

I'm certain I do need to see someone and if Anthony and I could get some family counceling together, I think that would be a good thing too. I have some very deep emotional scars from this whole thing, as does my son, of course. I've been told I shouldn't overlook myself either. Eventually maybe I'll go talk to someone.

Thanks Vicki and Ailish for your concern.
 
Hi Divine. I did a search on line to better understand what an "empath" is. Here is the link.

http://themindunleashed.com/2013/10/30-traits-of-empath.html

It's description seemed to fit my son's personality very closely. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I do have some questions for you though that I've listed below.

DivineFlames said:
His empathy is around memories and he feels them very strongly, I have yet to see somone so powerful in that aspect of empathy."

Can you explain this in more detail please? What do you mean when you refer to his empathy being "around memories."? I do not understand that aspect.


DivineFlames said:
There is no doubt that some of ths is his, but a good deal of it is other peoples. Please keep that in mind."

Do you mean that some of the things he says happened or some of the things he speaks of is actually that of another person? Please try to help me better understand your statement.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
 
Back
Top