• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memory Triggers

What was a circumstance that you had to come back to resolve? Are you resolving it now in this life? It makes sense that we set out to learn lessons and suicide is basically breaking that contract you made with yourself to experience certain things, I believe.

I try to enjoy things in this life as much as I can. Knowing what I know about my past life though can make it hard to not obsess. I am sure that is why most people don't remember. Unfortunately, I have been pretty much longing for the past since age 13 before even knowing about reincarnation. I didn't learn about reincarnation until maybe I was 19 and suddenly all my strong feelings about the past made sense. I try not to live in the past but it's just so hard not to.

My triggers are typically musical, usually stuff like old tangos and Strauss waltzes. In this life I've got a very good musical memory, like I'll remember a tune I heard once or twice in a movie that I hadn't seen in a few years, so that doesn't surprise me in the least. What really gets me is those old songs that I know I have never heard before but still seem so familiar.

old soul ?

Just curious since I am new to this... if a trigger makes you stop in your tracks and cry, is that really good or really bad? Coyotes and wolves howling does it for me. Tears every time.

Am still trying to find out what happened to me in my last life. Doesn't sound good. Have had multiple "readings" done over the years, and every single one is the same. Was some type of holy man or monk and I was Native. Not sure if it's right, but Southwestern/ Mexican feels like home to me.

My birth mother is Mexican Chiracahua mix. Can you come back again as the same race?

Plus, I love making and playing Native American flutes. That's the worst trigger of all. I start playing and I disappear completely from reality.

My favorite quote:

'open your heart to the spirit of the wind...you will feel all it has touched.'

toddrussell said:
Just curious since I am new to this... if a trigger makes you stop in your tracks and cry, is that really good or really bad? Coyotes and wolves howling does it for me. Tears every time.
That would make sense if you were Native American.

Last summer I was out on a playground, because I work with kids.I felt the heat and I realized we needed to go in because it was getting too hot.Then I this sudden thought of the civil war era and the extreme heat on plantations.I'm sure that was a triggered memory.It surprised me!I was with kids...and out of nowhere this far away thought about plantations slavery comes up.

I have many triggers.

I think tastes, an outfit, hearing a word that sounds like something like a name or a word I could have said in my past life.

I really hate triggers, I take medicine for it, I don't feel sometimes I'm strong enough and that I'm getting crazy because they make me long to go back so I can fix it.

(sorry I'm new here)

Hi Sahtori

Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying you get a lot of past life flashbacks? It can be unsettling I know, but once you understand more about it, and now you have a group to talk to about it, you might begin to see it's a good thing and not something you have to repress.

You're not going crazy and you don't have to 'go back and fix it', but there is a lot that you can learn from past life experiences. Would you like to start a thread and tell us about any of your experiences in detail?

Anything can be a trigger

For those who are asking whether this or that stimulus can be a trigger, the answer is yes. The mind works by association, e.g. if I write the word "black," your mind will immediately raise images and concepts that you personally associate with "black." You really can't help it; it's just the way our minds work.

So, if you perceive something -- anything -- that is similar in shape or colour or feel or sound or smell or some other sensory input to something you remember, or have it evoked intellectually, the mind can spark by association, and bam, it's on the surface, emotions and all.

Or else a trigger can explain what you remember: little James Leininger had images of planes in his memory but didn't know how to frame them, or perhaps to relate them to real life, until he saw planes in real life, at a museum, and that's when he started talking about them. When I was very young I had a triggering experience of the "I see it in real life!" kind, from an illustration in a book, that made me talk for the first time about my PL memories.

Trigger tip: if you are watching or reading something from popular culture about an era you think you lived in and everything seems correct, consider that you might be fantasizing. If, on the other hand, your emotions repeatedly get triggered by correct images but you also keep seeing little things that bug you because they seem off somehow, or you can even clearly see how they’re wrong, it's more likely real. Pop culture never does its research well enough to get everything right, and people who remember well spot the errors.

--

I experienced a memory-trigger when I was volunteering as a gallery steward at a small museum which had a lot of original Rococo interiors. Considering I don't really like the pretentiousness of Victorian design, I actually really like the flowery-over-the-top-ness of Rococo, it has an innocence that is somehow lacking in Victorian over-the-top-ness. Anyway, one morning soon after the museum had opened, but before the visitors had come in, I was sitting in one of the larger rooms, the walls lined with old oil paintings in elaborate frames, curling brass-coloured chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, an old clock ticking in the next room, just enjoying the peace and quiet and the atmosphere of the room, when the feeling washed over me that I could practically sense a dance going on in the room, the music on the piano or harpsichord, the ladies in their large dresses, the men in fine waistcoats. The feeling faded almost as soon as it came, but it was such a lovely thing to experience. Knowing what I do about my life at that time (around 1730-1750), it's possible that the impressions of that dance are from a dance I attended back then.

Does anyone else have any memory-triggers they would like to share?

tanguerra said:
Hi Sahtori
Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying you get a lot of past life flashbacks? It can be unsettling I know, but once you understand more about it, and now you have a group to talk to about it, you might begin to see it's a good thing and not something you have to repress.

You're not going crazy and you don't have to 'go back and fix it', but there is a lot that you can learn from past life experiences. Would you like to start a thread and tell us about any of your experiences in detail?
I'll try writing my story, ... I'll try,

I think I might have experienced a past life trigger and I want to put it out here to you all to see what you think. It happened on a lazy Sunday afternoon, the baby was napping and my eldest was playing quietly while my husband and I watched an episode of one of those do-it-yourselfer shows. In the episode the homeowner was remodeling a late 1920's early 1930's house. In the first scene where they showed the kitchen (which was still in really great shape and was charming!), I said to my husband, "Oh! That looks just like our green kitchen!" I honestly "saw" in my memory a cute little kitchen just like the one on TV, but the cabinets were mint green. Then I was embarrassed because he looked at me and said, "Honey, we've never had a green kitchen...did you mean when you were little?"

I've since asked my mother and she said none of our kitchens were green. And she confirmed that my grandmothers didn't have green kitchens either.

So what do you all think?

Yes. Absolutely. This is exactly the sort of thing that can happen when something 'reminds' you. Pastel colours, like pink and green and blue were very 'in' for kitchens and bathrooms in the 1930s. It started in the 1920s for the wealthy and stylish, but became more mainstream later. It was in the 1950s-60s when 'white goods' all became 'white'. Prior to that, colour was the style.

Back