Shiftkitty
Registered User
... or however it's spelled this season...
I first encountered this guy's name back in the 80's and I felt like I knew him. Every time he'd try some stupid little dictator trick, my reaction would be one of "What the heck are you doing? You're going to get yourself killed!" I cartooned the heck out of him and followed his "antics" rather closely for a teenager whose primary interest was rockin' and rollin' all night and partying every day.
Things got worse for him and we crossed his silly "Line of Death" and slapped that dog back down. When he was found to still be alive, I noticed how subdued he was and I was relieved on a personal level, like "Okay, now settle down and take care of your country."
For years we didn't hear much out of him, then I saw what he looked like with his botox and other pathetic attempts to hold on to his youth. I was shocked at his appearance. It was like watching an old friend self-destruct. I wanted to cry every time I saw him on TV. I wanted to slap some sense into him, tell him to get his head out of his you-know-what and stop all this nonsense.
Finally came the overthrow of his regime. I remember putting my face in my hands and saying out loud "Please, Mohammar, get out of there!" Instead he kept desperately trying to hold onto his temporal power even as it was crumbling to dust all around him. I saw the footage of him being dragged through the street, beaten and bloodied, his face still expressionless from the botox. He was still alive at that point. Then they shot him.
When they hung Saddam Hussein, my husband and I and our friends celebrated with a shot of Jaegermeister.
When they shot Osama bin Laden we danced around the front room then joined our neighbors for an impromptu street party.
When they killed Mohammar Khadaffi all I could think was "His suffering is finally over."
I know he hurt a lot of people. He was a tyrant, and as for his fate I say "sic semper tyrannis". But some part of me always felt like it knew him closely and was saddened at what he had become. I know he will have to come back and try again, and there will be a deep scar on his soul that must heal. I hope I can help to heal it even if only in some small way.
I first encountered this guy's name back in the 80's and I felt like I knew him. Every time he'd try some stupid little dictator trick, my reaction would be one of "What the heck are you doing? You're going to get yourself killed!" I cartooned the heck out of him and followed his "antics" rather closely for a teenager whose primary interest was rockin' and rollin' all night and partying every day.
Things got worse for him and we crossed his silly "Line of Death" and slapped that dog back down. When he was found to still be alive, I noticed how subdued he was and I was relieved on a personal level, like "Okay, now settle down and take care of your country."
For years we didn't hear much out of him, then I saw what he looked like with his botox and other pathetic attempts to hold on to his youth. I was shocked at his appearance. It was like watching an old friend self-destruct. I wanted to cry every time I saw him on TV. I wanted to slap some sense into him, tell him to get his head out of his you-know-what and stop all this nonsense.
Finally came the overthrow of his regime. I remember putting my face in my hands and saying out loud "Please, Mohammar, get out of there!" Instead he kept desperately trying to hold onto his temporal power even as it was crumbling to dust all around him. I saw the footage of him being dragged through the street, beaten and bloodied, his face still expressionless from the botox. He was still alive at that point. Then they shot him.
When they hung Saddam Hussein, my husband and I and our friends celebrated with a shot of Jaegermeister.
When they shot Osama bin Laden we danced around the front room then joined our neighbors for an impromptu street party.
When they killed Mohammar Khadaffi all I could think was "His suffering is finally over."
I know he hurt a lot of people. He was a tyrant, and as for his fate I say "sic semper tyrannis". But some part of me always felt like it knew him closely and was saddened at what he had become. I know he will have to come back and try again, and there will be a deep scar on his soul that must heal. I hope I can help to heal it even if only in some small way.