• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Nazi Occupation of Paris

Love this post. Well done both:D:D


Do you know the years you were there?


I know i lived in paris until it was invaded but have very few memries.


I remember much more from when i went back which would have been in 1943.


How amazing if we would have all met:D
 
ZeonChar said:
Way off topic here, but speaking of accents, I remember when I met a friend of mine in Germany for the first time, he was speaking with a British accent and I was so confused as to why he didn't have a German accent. He explained that he learned English the British way in school and it's possible to a Brit he would have sounded German but I couldn't tell!
After WWII, and I think especially after the Berlin Airlift, most English teachers in Germany were British. So all German students spoke English with British accents. I had a German pen-pal during the late 1960's. She was 2 years older than me and her name was Ingeborg. One year we exchanged tape recordings for Christmas. This was before cassette tapes. We sent little 3-1/2" open reel tapes that we recorded at home. We were both fascinated by each other's accent. She had a British accent. She is the one who explained to me about the British English teachers in Germany. She lived in Cologne (Koln) and she and her boyfriend recorded for me some radio programs they listened to from the Allied military bases nearby. Cologne was in the British Occupation Zone so this radio station is what they used to practice their English with. Munich was in the American Occupation Zone and had an American Forces Radio Service (AFRS) radio station. She was trilingual, she also spoke French. I think after the War the Germans wanted to make sure their kids would not be lied to by the government like they had been by the Nazi propaganda. But today it has changed a lot more. All German kids today are bilingual, German and English. But now they have American accents. You see this on YouTube. The reason West Germany had British and American occupation forces stationed there for so many years after the War was because after the Berlin Blockade in 1948-9 the Germans were afraid they would be invaded by the Soviets after we left.
 
I don't know if you've read a book called Suite Francais by Irene Nemorovscky (Can't be sure about the spelling).


She was Jewish and didn't survive the war. She was a published author and wrote this book during the invasion.


I've read the first half about the evacuation of Paris in the hope it might fire my brain.


I think it's worth a read for anyone who thinks they were there. ;)
 
I hesitate to post this, but it is the ending of Johanna's story. I (she) was attempting to leave France with three men, and one other woman. The woman was very attractive, so ties to Paris cafe' society are very possible. We were apprehended by the Nazis. The papers we carried were in question. I could see passports in red covers. They looked like Danish or Norwegian passports, issued around 1940. I thought to myself, "We are going to die, and badly." I was separated from the rest of the group, by the Nazi in charge, and interrogated. I could see my slender, white arm. He turned my delicate arm over, and inserted a sewing needle, all the way in, so the eye was concealed. I could feel the burning pain in the dream. I have never felt physical pain in a dream before. I thought, "You dirty, Nazi *******." Thankfully, I woke up. I checked to see if sewing needles were used in torture, and they have been in some cases. It's a thought that never would have occurred to me. I guess Johanna never made it home, Lynette. It was wishful thinking. I would have incarnated again after she died fairly quickly. I thought it was appropriate to post the end of my story here, instead of the Forum I participate in now. Lynette, that is what happened to Johanna.
 
Good to see you around again Briar Rose


....and I will admit to curiosity at this point....do I know you from a previous life? As you know, I have zilch previous life memories...just a few inklings...


It's okay ...you won't hurt my feelings either way....I'm just curious....
 
Oh, my poor Johanna. That was such a horrible thing to have happen, Briar.


Incidentally, in this life, I do a lot of hand sewing. I always get the needle through my fingers... but, I don't feel it. Yet I am extremely tactile. I will be sewing a seam and realise, oh, not again! I've sewn my finger to the material!


Also incidentally, or not, Briar, the day you wrote this message, I finally heard back from my musician...
 
Back
Top