Thanks Deborah for taking the time to clarify some of those thoughts. I realize this is a BUSY time of the year. I know that I will understand what you are saying at a deeper level once I am able to read the books you have cited.
In regard to Newton's work, I think that it needs to be put into the context of his sources. (I wasn't there when he collected his iformation, but too much of it makes sense to me, so I personally can't dismmiss it.) I can't dismiss what his clients say about certain activities or situations in the spirit world resembling our earthly experiences. I don't find that hard to believe, either. In the spirit world, if I am in a situation where I am learning, for instance, I may CHOOSE to perceive or design that situation mentally by having it resemble a place or earthly situation where I had fond memories of comfort and learning. He also says that spirits don't HAVE to perceive there surroundings to be like that; they can choose to perceive it in its purest "spiritual reality," entirely disassociated with anything earthly.
Undoubtedly, you have both seen more glimpses into the spirit realm than I have in this life, but I imagine (as a discarnate)that if I choose to construct certain "spiritual realities" to match my earthly experiences, like Greek temples, or classrooms, or libraries, etc... something tells me that I will be free to do so in that environment. While another soul may choose to perceive those SAME situations differently according to their experiences or awareness; I think that "details" may be kind of subjective from individual to individual, while the "function" of a specific reality remains the same. (I don't know if I'm wording this well enought to explain what I'm trying to say. Too much Thanksgiving turkey)
I liked how some of his clients talked about how they could choose to show themselves as the "pure energy" that they truly are, or how they can take on different physical attributes while communicating with certain souls on certain levels if they also choose to do so (while nothing can mask who we really are). I think that I would find pleasure as a discarnate soul in recreating certain earthy surroundings or physical attributes which played an important role in the evolution of my own awareness.
Another thing we can't dismiss is that his clients are definitely humans trying to relate what they are seeing in a non-human environment. Much of what they see can probably not be adequately related without using earthy situations as metaphores or analogies. If they attempted to describe what they see in only "spiritual terms," it would probably be incomprehensible to most of us (or even themselves -- as they are incarnated humans now).
I don't want to open up the proverbial "can of worms" with this next statemnt, but as far of reincarnating into another animal (besides human), I don't think that I would choose to do this even if it was possible. For me, the mental capacity that the human brain has matches pretty well with giving me the experiences that I personally need in my own growth. Being a bird, or a cow, or a dog, might be interesting, but I don't see how it would present an environment that would help me build upon my previous human experiences.
Take Care,
Rob