• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Swedish immigrant in the Oregon Territory

RHRam

Member
I'm not sure where to begin with my memories of this life, because they're few and far between. I was the only daughter, and the only living child, of Swedish immigrants passing through the Oregon Territory in the mid-1800s. I was eleven or twelve years old during what I remember of this life. My parents and I had reached the shores of America a few years before; I had had two younger brothers who died of some illness on the ship that brought us to New York. They were buried at sea. I remember traveling in a covered wagon during a heavy rain. I remember seeing tall mountains with snowy peaks, a big freezing-cold lake, and inpenetrable forests with lots of tall fir trees. I don't remember almost anything else from this life. I only know that it was a very hard life. Every day was a struggle.

The weather was often bad, it rained a lot, and thunderstorms were common. I often felt chilled to the bone, especially when jolting along in the covered wagon for long hours at a time, sad, confused, and, afraid. My mother and father must have felt the same, because they were always nervous and quick to anger. My parents almost never spoke to one another, and I was afraid to say a word to either of them, knowing I'd get a slap if I said the wrong thing. We had very little food while we lived out of the covered wagon. Sometimes I was so hungry that I could do nothing but lay with my mother in the back of the wagon while my father drove. I always felt cold and terribly dirty. The wagon and our clothes were always damp and caked with mud. Needless to say, things were really bad, and the sensation of pure discomfort is what I remember most of this life.
 
Were you traveling on what is known as the Oregon Trail? That opened up around 1850. I was quite taken with a book for children that I read around 1960 describing a family's travels on the trail. While trying to "google" it, I discovered there is a Video game relating to the Oregon Trail. It might sound silly, but I wonder if playing that game would trigger any more memories for you?
 
Oregon celebrated the 150th anniversary a few years ago. Your story sounds very typical for what people experienced on that trek. I think many of the settlers and immigrants had no idea what they were getting into. The wagon train trip took about 6 months. You can try searching on genealogy websites. In the U.S. a census of the population is required to be recorded every ten years, going back to at least 1800. You and your parents would have been counted and recorded, probably either 1850 or 1860. The wagon trains ended when the railroad reached the West Coast about 1870.
 
Perhaps I did travel on the Oregon Trail in a past life. I've heard a little about the Oregon Trail before, and I played the game one time and hated it, haha. Were people traveling on the Oregon Trail trying to get into California? During the time of the Gold Rush?
 
RHRam said:
Were people traveling on the Oregon Trail trying to get into California? During the time of the Gold Rush?
Yes and yes. Oregon was easier to get to so that was the original destination. Before 1846 California was part of Mexico. California was difficult to reach because of the Sierra Nevada mountains being so high, 8,000 feet + or 2.4 km. There were a few that came to California by way of south east Oregon. Some people tried taking short-cuts they heard about and ending up dying. "Donner Party" and Death Valley are the most well known. Many of the gold seekers came by sailing ship around South America. But that also took about 6 months. And how many died on the way from disease or ship wrecks? California Gold helped pay for the American Civil War. California gold is the reason they decided to build the transcontinental railroad. Instead of a gold shipment taking 6 months by sailing ship or covered wagon it was only 2 weeks by steam train.
 
Back
Top