• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Synesthesia and PL Memories

Raakel

Member
Good morning, everyone. I was trying to do a little meditation last night, which turned out to be pretty successful: I found myself able to recall one certain memory (which happens to be one of my favourite memories) of an old woman sitting on a low, three-legged stool in a very dark, shadowy kitchen with a stone wall behind her, peeling apples and putting them into some type of shallow wooden dish. That memory has played over and over in my head for as long as I can remember - really my entire life.

However, last night, I tried to concentrate, hoping that the memory of the old woman would somehow lengthen itself in my mind, because if the memory were a video clip (and it always feels as though I'm watching a video clip, whenever I'm remembering) it would be less than a minute long, and forty seconds or so just isn't long enough to really gain any information, which might be useful if only to myself, from the recollection.

The name Christopher flew into my head last night during my meditation, which it's never done before, but let me tell you something - in this life, I've always had rather a love affair with the name Christopher. It's almost my favourite name for a boy, and since last night I've begun to wonder if it's possible that I might have known and loved a person named Christopher in the same past life in which I knew the old woman. I always get such a nice feeling whenever I think of the name Christopher, and another thing I think that I should mention, is that the name Christopher, to me, tastes like apples.

So, that more or less brings me to my point. Has any of you ever heard of something called synesthesia? Here's a link to a little information concerning synesthesia on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia), if anyone's interested, though there are a lot of better websites out there explaining the condition. I very much am blessed (or cursed) with several types of synesthesia in this life, and I don't rule it out that I might have had synesthesia in other lives as well. Thus, I'm able to taste every name or word that you can think of, I see colours in every name or word or number or whatever as well, etc.

And as I said before, whenever I hear or think of the name Christopher, the taste of apples automatically floods my mouth. Now, I think I know why. Do you guys think it's possible that my mind forces an association between the name Christopher and the taste of apples (primarily red apples, which were the colour of the apples the old woman was peeling) because I might have for whatever reason associated a person named Christopher with apples in that life? Does that make any sense? I have a pretty hard time wording this, and I almost feel as though I'm quite insane, just talking about it. :laugh:

:(

If there are any other Forum members who have synesthesia too, do you think that the synesthesia might be related to some of your own past lives?
 
I don't, but I understood perfectly what you meant. All my past life memories are visual along with whatever thoughts or feeling I had at the time, including physical feelings, but they don't include words.


I didn't speak English in my last life so I think when I remembered them as a kid any words got lost from them but the meaning stayed behind.


I can see how some words could carry extra meaning through other senses though, especially if you spoke the same language, but even if you didn't the association from object to memory IS a way to jog peoples memories of even things in this life. Short example ( I'll be aging myself here...) You see a Scoobie Doo or Star Wars lunch box at a yard sale, or resale shop, you remember you or a friend of yours used to have one, suddenly some random conversation from 2nd grade pops into your head, one that you never would have thought of if you hadn't seen that box.


It''s only a short jump from it being an object that brings back memories to words doing it.
 
Cool thoughts, Wednesday. :) I understand what you mean. Just out of curiosity, what language did you speak in the past life you were talking about?
 
Dakota. I used to wake up with some words still in my head and I'd overhear some of my family downstairs speaking English and I didn't understand anything they were saying. It was really cool to listen to them talking without understanding the words but then eventually I'd wake up enough and snap out of it then the words in my head would be lost.
 
I do have synesthesia (I perceive numbers as colors) but I'm not sure that it's related to any of my past lives--I can't think of any way in which that would apply to my previous lives, at least so far as I can remember. It's interesting to think about there being a link between these two things, because it's not something I would have thought about before.


I think it would make sense to have synesthesia that reflected past life memories. It sounds like you may be experiencing that yourself!
 
I am somewhat familiar with synesthesia. I don't have it so I'm certainly no expert on it. I hope it's not something that you are embarrassed or frustrated by. It sounds to me like a unique and special experience.


There seems to be a very strong connection with senses and memories. I know for me hearing certain songs will remind me of memories, or vice versa. Certain memories will make me think of a song. I have that connection in my mind. Another thing is my grandma was an amazing cook. She been dead now for many years. Often when I think of her, it leaves my mouth watering for some of the things she used to make. I guess it's the same thing as Pavlov's dogs. The dogs learned to associate getting fed with the ringing of a bell. Eventually the dogs would salivate everytime they heard a bell ring. It's understandable that these mental connections could carry over from previous lifetimes.
 
Truthseeker, I love my synesthesia, but yes, I do often find myself embarrassed and frustrated by it. I believe my synesthesia to be the main reason behind my writer's block, and other problems which are greater or smaller. But I still really like being a synesthesete (or however you spell it), and I suspect that I might have had synesthesia in other lives as well.
 
Back
Top