• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Thailand

Edelweiss

Member
Anyone here happen to know if during the 60's/70's and possibly 80's, if American Troops, Civilian Corps or Government agencies happen to be stationed, trained or did work in Thailand, specifically Chiang Mai? And if so, during anytime while great flooding occurred?
 
You must be from the younger generation. There was a very big American Air Force Base in Thailand during the Viet Nam War. I forget the name but remember B-52's operated out of there when bombing the "Ho Chi Minh Trail". Also American troops were sent to Thailand from Viet Nam on a regular basis for R&R (Rest and Recreation). There was also a very big air base in the Philippines called Clark AFB that was used in the Viet Nam War. It was closed about 25 years ago after the volcano erupted and covered it with ash. There is also an American AFB on Okinawa that is still active.
 
Thank you argonne and cryscat! If they sent troops to thailand for R+R, that would solve my mystery! I had a dream not long ago, of being in a jungle like setting, with major flooding having occurred in the city. The locals were going on as if nothing had occurred. I was riding in a modified truckbed with a few of the locals and we were speaking ( I believe I had fair knowledge of the Thai language) There were a few riding on elephants next to us. I had also fallen in love with a woman who lived nearby. Another bit of detail- there had been a rickety handmade bridge that had been damaged and we had to "monkey climb" it to get across and we swam across a river as well, near a small waterfall in Chiang mai or on the outskirts of it.


I'm not sure about the airforce part, as I don't believe I had served in that branch. However, that does prove to me, that there were armed forces there!
 
Back
Top