• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

The Dreamer's Way

deborah

Director Emerita
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am going to start by posting the memory I had in a dream. You can find the following also in Rosemary Ellen Guiley, Ph.D's book. The Dreamers Way. If you have it - it's on page #275 - #277.

***The Mojo - Clara, the hanging and moms vision*****

Jul 20, 2000 --It was very lucid and seemed so real. It was in the 1860's, I was a young black woman. I was in an area where several black people had been hung for "crimes" they did not commit or that did not require such a terrible sentence. I saw four black men carrying a coffin and they were singing "Come on, Come on, It' time ta go down to da Mojo, cause someone heres been killed...Keepin on..keepin on.... "

The men wore brown pants, suspenders, funny round hats and black warn boots. An old man was digging through the black peoples possessions, the ones left in the holding area. I saw used bullets, broken chains, copper pennies, rags, nothing of real value. But, when I looked in one woven box -- inside was a man's pocket watch, oval in shape with elongated numbers. There was engraving on the back. I saw an "L" and "M."

Also inside was a cloth wrapped around four forks. Two metal ones and two engraved silver ones. The silver ones had the date 1864 on the back. Then I saw a music box/jewelry box that was made of China and painted with flowers that could fit in my hand. On one side it was a clock, the other a music box, the bottom a drawer for earrings and rings. A black man rode up on his horse and snatched the music box from me and took it to his wife. I only had the watch left, the cloth and the forks.

I wore a long dress, with a white apron. I was barefoot. I could smell the dirt on the ground, everything was in full color. I could hear the singing in a southern accent, I could feel the dirt on my toes.

I told my mother my dream...all except the engraving part. Funny, she asked me if I could see the back of the watch. I said only part of it. She said - "it has engraving on it yes?" I said "Yes." She said, "L.M.S., right?" I said I saw the 'L' and the 'M' but not the "S."

She suggested I work on it and find out the significance... she could see my whole dream before I told it to her, like a movie. She says [dreams] are "her favorite movies."

I hope to find out who L.M.S. is. Also I had to look up "Mojo" at the college library because my dictionary had nothing listed; I thought I made it up. But it is indeed an African form of witchcraft, pertaining to magic, and voodoo in South Africa. I am sure the black slaves in America brought some of their religion with them.

A member - CunoDante, replied to my posted in 2005 with the following. His willingness to help me research my memories and make the connections (validations) were extraordinary. Imagine if we all helped each other this way - IF we had information others do not?

OK, Deborah, I got a chance to talk to my professor. He's one of the top 10 authorities in the world on African American literature, so he knows a LOT about the history. I'm trying to get as much information out of him as possible without telling him that's it's for past life related thing -- he would probably kill me if he found out, lol.

Anyway, I told him I was reading something over the weekend about the civil war era down south, and mentioned that I saw the term "Mojo" in one of the songs in the story I was reading, but was confused by it. Anyway, he said that Mojo isn't really voodoo per se. Rather, it's basically a talisman or some type of charm that's supposed to protect you or keep you safe. Moreover, he said it's representative of coming to acceptance with and having a respect for a reality that you might not fully understand, which may be due to supernatural forces, but you're still part of it nonetheless.

(In this case, the reality, he said, would be slavery and the lynchings/deaths that took place.) He said it's pretty similar to how Catholics believe in the cross or holy water -- they have protective powers yet you're also coming to grips with God, a reality you don't/can't fully understand. I also asked him which areas this term was generally used, and he said primarily it was used in New Orleans and Louisiana, but also in Georgia to a small extent. He said it was mostly contained in the Gulf states such as New Orleans and Louisiana due to the physical boundaries that existed.

My memories were of southern Alabama. :D

The author of Chosen to Believe, and a member here:
Lagrima also pointed out that LMS was engraved on the back of pockets watches that were associated with a British Railroad company.
Although it was not formed until Jan 1923....I still wonder if there is a connection.
 
Thanks for sharing this Deborah, I missed it somehow when you first posted it. I found some pictures - probably not of much use to you, but I still thought you might be interested. It's an old LMS pocket watch:


watchfront.jpg
watchback.jpg
 
Gives me chills to see a watch with the LMS on it.. Thank you Chris! :D :D:D
 
Thanks Jere,


This weekend I am going to make an updated post and new thread about my current situation and the following notation from CunoDante which I noticed today and relates to connections between then and now. Finishing mid term papers at the moment. But free all weekend. TG.

....he said it's representative of coming to acceptance with and having a respect for a reality that you might not fully understand, which may be due to supernatural forces, but you're still part of it nonetheless.
 
Back
Top