• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Tibet?

Koshka

the great
Does anyone here have any memories of Tibet? Whether as a monk or an layperson of some sort. I don't know a lot about buddhism off the top of my head, but I had a dream some years ago and recently again- I never made sense of it. I think that's why I had it twice, and with so many years in between. I was absolutely consumed with terror the first time. I was twelve. I might have posted about it on here, but if I did, I found nothing about it.

In the dream, I was watching a group of Tibetan monks- why I knew they were Tibetan, I don't know- I've been under the impression that most Buddhist monks in that part of the world wore the same colors, maybe I'm wrong- but they were standing around a man, and they were using implements on the man's head, trepanning. They were talking, and I think it sounded like prayer. There were candles. Now I'm assuming that most if not all of you know what trepanning is. If not, here's a link-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanation
The man's face was like that of a stunned animal. I was afraid they were murdering him and trying to be sneaky about it, I knew it was nighttime, and I could hear wind howling outside. It was cold.

The thing is, I'm sure I was that man. I woke up about two days ago after I had this dream again, and I googled trapanation (sp?) and any relation it may have to Tibetan culture. Apparently there's a practice- it's pretty obscure, I wouldn't have known about it as a twelve year old, and I certainly wouldn't have an oppurtunity to find it out now without serious research.. It's called Phonua... (I think-) I can't seem to find the same link I found before on it, but it was to release someone's soul upwards. According to those who believe in it, the soul leaves through holes in the body, and phonua is done to prepare the soul for death. In other cases, it's used to stimulate the pineal gland>>> which increases visions.

Does this sound like a validation to anyone? I'd like to hear anyone else's stories of Tibet, if there are any.
 
Hello Koshka,


I'm not familiar with the things you write about, but it certainly does sound like a validation, if you could find information on such a tradition. :thumbsup:


You could type "Tibet" in the search engine of the forum. I don't remember if any members have posted about specific memories from there.


Keep us updated,


Karoliina
 
Yes that does sound like a validation to me. That's wonderful that you found something about it. :thumbsup: Have you had any other memories or dreams about that life?
 
Hi Koshka,


If you are still around do you have any updates? Are you familiar with other cultures who use various techniques to achieve the same?

It's called Phonua... (I think-) I can't seem to find the same link I found before on it, but it was to release someone's soul upwards. According to those who believe in it, the soul leaves through holes in the body, and phonua is done to prepare the soul for death. In other cases, it's used to stimulate the pineal gland>>> which increases visions.
That is a very specific dream - with specific cultural implications. Fascinating. ;) Would love to read more.
 
Koshka,


I have definitely heard of this practice - somewhere. I wish I could recall where.


I have had one very fleeting glimpse of a p/l in Tibet once in a guided meditation. I was a young boy being taught by an elderly monk with some other young boys.


I have always felt drawn to Tibet, and am very upset that the Chinese have made such a mess of it and been so brutal there.


Maxine
 
I saw a documentary on TV about some spiritual topic and they discussed this trepanation was being used by some group of people currently in order to find " more spiritual attunement" . They did it in several spots on their head.. one the forehead and it may have had something to do with having visions. Sorry cannot remember the groups name.. it was not a Bhuddist group, North American maybe but that is pretty flimcy memory. .. This was about 6-8ish years ago>>??


That sure would be horrifying as even if you had been taught that the body is just a vessel{ which seems to be a common Bhuddist philosophy }.. actually having it done would soon turn your mind to the reality of it. \


I imagine Koshka you might feel guilt for turning against your religious beliefs but no doubt you were not prepared to face this barbaric attempt to find happiness . The more time we spend with people as you would have in a monastery the harder it can be to have the heart to go against that culture you had been raised in.


It brings to mind my life where I was a Jewish teenager who got involved in the sect lead by Jacob Frank. I was passionate about religion and doing good, but being young I had a very hard time not taking to heart when the people I was involved with got to practicing very far out things in the name of religion with behaviour quite contradictory to the Jewish laws I had been raised with .


It is now known as a Jewish cult . Frank declared he was the messiah returned. Things got out of hand with alot of wild goings ons at least in the Jewish tradition . I knew it was had gone over the edge and he was a false messiah , but I still felt devastated that the people abandoned me, when I left the group. I never was able to get over it . And still today there is that something that bothers me when I have gone to the local synagogue . THe need for "group belonging" is a big thing to overcome.


soulfreindly
 
Soulfriendly,


I saw a documentary, about 6 years or so ago, where Tibetan monks/recluses had been doing some pretty freaky things to themselves.


For instance meditating in such a position with a scarf so tied about the neck that if they fell asleep they strangled. Unable to get the hands up to stop it, how they arranged it.


Bodies had been found of people who had done this. It was a recognized practice. Considered a very advanced practice, I understand. The idea was not really to strangle yourself, but to enforce staying in meditation for days on end. If the Tibetans found such a body in a cave, or wherever, they revered the person as a saint. In the documentary it said the Chinese burnt any such body on sight, to prevent this - revering.


Tibet does fascinated me, but I have to say it can be a bit extreme. Just a bit! The trepanning stuff would NOT surprise me in the least. I certainly think it fits. I know I have read about some culture that did this. There could well have been numerous.


The Tibetans are very fussy about how the soul leaves the body, even now. They feel you have to be poised just right, to maximize your chance to get off the karmic treadmill.
 
Other than encountering some Tibetan artifacts in a shop.. not much. I get excited watching buddhist seminaries in Daramsala india on youtube, which I think is because they're run by Tibetans.


I don't feel any guilt whatsoever. I have problems with any discussion of brains, or head injuries. I actually have always had rather severe vertigo, which I was recently told by a doctor friend is highly unusual without a head injury. No doctor ever told me that before, though.


I think that lifetime was a very happy one for me, overall.
 
Hi Koshka, now I myself do think that have had a PL or PLS here in the Tibet area as a Buddhist Monk with also in Mongolia also. Also I do not know anything about what time period this could have been. I do not know much but onetime in a meditation and regression, had a little flash of a memory where I saw myself as still a kid and young but training to be a Buddhist Monk but my heart was not fully into it. I wanted to be outside wandering around, being free, and playing. That is all I saw and know nothing of what later happened in this PL.
 
Back
Top