To those who can't remember pastlives

Discussion in 'Reincarnation Questions' started by Ben, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Kislany

Kislany Just searching...

Yes, I would love to be able to remember past lives, for various reasons. Curiosity, validation that it does exist (until I know for sure, for me it's just believing), figuring out whether some issues I'm having this life are related to a particular past life...

I'm reading a lot on past lives lately, and have really a higher sensitivity towards all this. I was looking today online for places to visit in Vienna (I'm heading there for a short holiday with hubby next month) and when I saw the picture of a particular church ( the Kaiser-Jubiläums- Kirche), I just had this funny feeling as I know it, it's familiar, and I kept looking again and again to that picture. I hope I will visit it when I'll go next month, and see if there is any truth to my feeling :) But I'm digressing...

2. Ginger_Mandrake

Ginger_Mandrake Ever Confused

I don't really have memories, some of my dreams I think are pl-oriented, and oftentimes I feel momentarily nostalgic toward certain things, or a feeling of remembrance will hit me, or deja-vu will make me wonder if I am on track, or I'll meet people that I feel so comfortable around, as if I've known them before. But, yeah, I wish I could actually remember my pl's. I try so hard to...and when I actually do have a dream, I am not certain, after a while, if it was more than just that: a dream. I'm still a beginner at meditation, but I think that if I can get better at focusing and controlling the stream of thoughts that I have, maybe I can tap into that part of my memory. I've tried regression and relaxation cd's before, but like I've said before on the forum, I always fall asleep! :tongue:

3. simplegirl

simplegirl New Member

Ben,

i'd like to know who i was int he past. i think knowing where i have been might show me where i am going. i have bits and pieces of memories but nothing solid. i really long to link more of these "memories" to something more solid.

4. Looking Backwards

Looking Backwards Senior Registered

I have mixed feelings on that.

On one hand, I would love to know who I was, and maybe even learn lessons from it, not to mention anything that would explain why I am who I am.

On the other hand, there's two things. One... although I don't have any memories per se, I'm not always sure I was the best person in my past lives. I don't think I was a serial killer or anything, but I think I made very poor decisions that may or may not have hurt people I cared about. Those things could come with pretty traumatic memories, and may already have. (I never know memories from simple creative train of thought.)

The second is that I feel that what I really need to do is move on. If I was born again, it was so I could do just that. This can't be accomplished if I'm dwelling on the past.

Still, again, I would love to know. I definitely think that it's likely this isn't my first time around.

5. Alexnovo

Alexnovo Senior Registered

Looking Backwards, I definitely understand what you are saying. I do have quite a few memories from one past life, and have flashes of memories of others. I will say that sometimes those memories can be emotional filled. However, and this is just me, I think that what I gain from remembering is far more than any downside. For me at least, part of getting on with this life is learning from prior mistakes and these memories help me do that.

6. Jody

Jody Senior Registered

When I was an adolescent, past lives came to me in a kind of a "movie" form, so I feel I genuinely "remember" them (maybe imperfectly, though, like a 90-year-old remembers her 7th birthday, for example ...) This was definitely a positive experience for me because I feel it helped me deal with budding sexual and spiritual issues.

Now I feel confronted with a past life that can be looked up, analysed, etc. and the most that I can "remember" from it are physical bodily reactions to portraits, things this person used to own, a song, etc.. They're like little snippets of memory, and one was about a traumatic situation that left me sobbing at my bedside. Yet it was very healing for me. I could feel a catharsis when it was over.

I'm going through a really difficult time in my life right now and from what I've read about past life regressions, they can be very healing for neurotic people, whether they believe in reincarnation or not. This past life that's been haunting me has been through several traumatic experiences that would give anyone PTSD -- working on a slave ship, intense battle, etc., none of which I can remember, but I tell you what ... I have so many problems with neuroses in this life that if there's a chance remembering these can help to heal me ... you bet, when I'm ready I very much would like to remember, as long as that means I can finally let it go.

7. DavidW

DavidW Probationary

If you have no memory of your past lives, how do you know you worked on a slave ship or in a battle? Is it something you "feel" more than something you "know"?

I have no concious memories of any past lives myself, but I do have "feelings" about things that may be connected to them.

I've no idea who or what I was in a previous life, but I feel pretty sure that I was no one of any historical importance. Just a nobody, really, like I am this time around.

8. Ailish

Ailish Administrator Emerita

Imo, the most beautiful memories aren't ones that come with a name attached in a history book. There is beauty in the simple things - if one is willing to look with their heart.

One of my favorite memories is from a life in Italy - standing with my sister looking out while the sun sets over the family vineyard. Another one of her braiding my hair sitting under a tree.

In another life in Portugal, it was simply being in the presence of loved ones. The memories of praying with my mother in our small prayer room - the safety and security I felt in that room. Or a small memory of being curled up in with my kittens in front of the roaring fire in Scotland, while my mother sang and played violin.

Nothing one might deem spectacular- but to me, precious soul moments ;)

You have to appreciate the small things in life - it's part of the journey and the blessing of each road travelled.

9. suestmr

suestmr suestmr

I am very interested in learning about my past lives.

I have read several books on the subject and have tried meditation, but to no avail. Maybe it is because I am too old (77) and it is too hard to bring back those memories.

Possibly I will try go to a professional.

Sue

10. ChrisR

ChrisR Administrator Emeritus Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi Sue, welcome to the forum :)

In my opinion, you're never too old to remember your past lives. Your body is just a container that ages over time, but your soul is timeless, and that is where you have access to your past lives. My advice is to keep practicing with the meditation. It doesn't always work straight away for a lot of people, but I think it's very important how you prepare for a meditation, and there are some great tips here in the forum to help you.

Chris :)

11. soulfreindly

soulfreindly Senior Registered

HI Sue,

77 is definitely not too old.. I would go for it . Keep us posted..

soulfreindly

12. alaskanlaughter

alaskanlaughter Senior Registered

Hi Sue and welcome! I think it's awesome that so many people of such different ages are interested in past lives and coming to talk on this forum. Absolutely give it a try...or several ;) Have fun reading around on the forum and feel free to post as well. Good luck. :thumbsup:

13. DavidW

DavidW Probationary

I think that the reason we can't readily remember our past lives is because there's some kind of a mechanism there that prevents us from remembering. Good thing, too, as we have enough to put up with coping with the traumas of our present life without having to live with memories of even worse things that may have happened to us in previous lives. So when meditating or undergoing regression therapy, please bear in mind that not all memories brought to the surface will be happy ones and some may be very disturbing and upsetting indeed. In fact, they could be very traumatic for you. This is just my opinion, of course, but one that I think is worth bearing in mind.

14. tanguerra

tanguerra Moderator Emeritus

I think it's individual. There is not necessarily any 'mechanism' that prevents us from remembering. In fact the various techniques that can be used to recover past life memories are amazingly simple really and almost everyone has some kind of vague feelings that could be past life related.

Also, some people just have better memories than others, even in the present life! I can remember back to my infancy in this life while others think this is amazing because they can't remember much before about age 10, let alone what they were doing last year sometimes.

I think it's a bit like dreams. Some people remember a lot of their dreams, others, hardly any. It doesn't necessarily mean they have more or less dreams than others. They might just be too busy, or have a loud alarm clock that chases their dreams away!

On the other hand, I think many people actually do have past life memories, they just don't realise that's what it is. If something should flash into their mind from another era, they might put it down to their imagination, or assume they have read something in a book or seen something in a film... but have forgotten it!

Sometimes past life memories can be quite subtle. They might be just a single scene that can pop into our heads when something 'reminds' us. It might be as simple as a vague feeling of nostalgia when they hear a certain song... If you did not know much about reincarnation, it would be easy to assume it was some random thing you have imagined.