dr.dragonfish
Member
Nothing can put a mind into a trance-state like the monotonous voice of a high school history teacher.
While we were learning about the Triangle Shirtwaist fire during the Industrial Revolution, I was doing my best to keep my head up from boredom. However, something the teacher said caused my breath to catch in my throat and I sat up rigidly as my mind was sucked far back into another life.
The air was muggy and hot, and I was in a room beside a girl who I swore was named something like Elsie. I was relatively new at the factory, and she was showing me the ropes. I was more fair skinned, while Elsie was olive skinned with dark black hair and a thin moustache. She was very kind and helpful, and was showing me how to do some sort of a stitch or something on white fabric. We were sitting at a long table together, surrounded by similar tables all around the giant room with other girls sewing, stone-faced. I was joking with Elsie about something when a very militant, heavy woman walked past. She exchanged some curt words with me about how to do my job. Beside her was this young, blonde girl who had been sucking up to the big woman. She was vapidly beautiful, I suppose, and she trailed along behind her giggling and talking. She stood with a smug, quiet smile on as the big woman reprimanded me, then went along after her as she did her rounds.
I am positively convinced that it was this woman who started the fire in the first place. She could get away with just about anything, and I believe I had seen her smoking, hidden behind a gigantic basket full of cloths. It is entirely possible that in order not to get caught (not that she'd be severely punished, she was the lap dog) she had hastily put the cigarette out...or so she thought.
I don't think I am being biased about this, I had an even more immense distaste for her than I should for just being the "teacher's pet" so to speak.
Once the fire was happening (I don't know if it was the same day or not) I was running frantically with Else, with nowhere to go. On the floor where we were, there was almost nothing, no machines, no other people, nothing. All there were were flames everywhere and nowhere to get out or get help. Else tried to go up a ladder, she didn't stay with me. I had to jump.
The weirdest part about this is that before I had ever had any sort of memory of the fire, I did have a memory of walking on the glass sidewalk, and being sidetracked by a man in a black suit and slicked back hair. He told me I was going to die, and I had a vision of blood on the glass sidewalk.
I don't know if there is an angel of death or not who would meet this guy's description, but either way, this is what happened to me. I had to calmly dismiss the information and go about the day. It's possible that it had happened after I had died. I don't know.
I told a close friend of mine about this after it had happened, and she got very quiet, then asked me if I think that this incident is why I am such a big feminist and advocate for the safety of all women. I laughed and said I had never thought that deeply into it, but it did make sense. I have also had nightmares about fire, and when I see parts of buildings that have been singed by flames, I get a deep dread in the pit of my stomach. I have no clues as to my own identity, though. I tried finding "Else" but I couldn't find a woman by that name. All I know is that I was probably an Irish immigrant and I was trying to support my family. I had a little brother. That's all I know about who I was then, but it's enough.
Thank you for giving me somewhere to share my memories.
While we were learning about the Triangle Shirtwaist fire during the Industrial Revolution, I was doing my best to keep my head up from boredom. However, something the teacher said caused my breath to catch in my throat and I sat up rigidly as my mind was sucked far back into another life.
The air was muggy and hot, and I was in a room beside a girl who I swore was named something like Elsie. I was relatively new at the factory, and she was showing me the ropes. I was more fair skinned, while Elsie was olive skinned with dark black hair and a thin moustache. She was very kind and helpful, and was showing me how to do some sort of a stitch or something on white fabric. We were sitting at a long table together, surrounded by similar tables all around the giant room with other girls sewing, stone-faced. I was joking with Elsie about something when a very militant, heavy woman walked past. She exchanged some curt words with me about how to do my job. Beside her was this young, blonde girl who had been sucking up to the big woman. She was vapidly beautiful, I suppose, and she trailed along behind her giggling and talking. She stood with a smug, quiet smile on as the big woman reprimanded me, then went along after her as she did her rounds.
I am positively convinced that it was this woman who started the fire in the first place. She could get away with just about anything, and I believe I had seen her smoking, hidden behind a gigantic basket full of cloths. It is entirely possible that in order not to get caught (not that she'd be severely punished, she was the lap dog) she had hastily put the cigarette out...or so she thought.
I don't think I am being biased about this, I had an even more immense distaste for her than I should for just being the "teacher's pet" so to speak.
Once the fire was happening (I don't know if it was the same day or not) I was running frantically with Else, with nowhere to go. On the floor where we were, there was almost nothing, no machines, no other people, nothing. All there were were flames everywhere and nowhere to get out or get help. Else tried to go up a ladder, she didn't stay with me. I had to jump.
The weirdest part about this is that before I had ever had any sort of memory of the fire, I did have a memory of walking on the glass sidewalk, and being sidetracked by a man in a black suit and slicked back hair. He told me I was going to die, and I had a vision of blood on the glass sidewalk.
I don't know if there is an angel of death or not who would meet this guy's description, but either way, this is what happened to me. I had to calmly dismiss the information and go about the day. It's possible that it had happened after I had died. I don't know.
I told a close friend of mine about this after it had happened, and she got very quiet, then asked me if I think that this incident is why I am such a big feminist and advocate for the safety of all women. I laughed and said I had never thought that deeply into it, but it did make sense. I have also had nightmares about fire, and when I see parts of buildings that have been singed by flames, I get a deep dread in the pit of my stomach. I have no clues as to my own identity, though. I tried finding "Else" but I couldn't find a woman by that name. All I know is that I was probably an Irish immigrant and I was trying to support my family. I had a little brother. That's all I know about who I was then, but it's enough.
Thank you for giving me somewhere to share my memories.