• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Where is the line drawn between a coincidence and a memory?

Totoro

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This came up in another thread and I think it merits a discussion.

A memory is clear, such as remembering a one armed man that sold apples. Hopefully, it's something that can be verified through research and then proven as a validated memory. They are sort of binary in that case, in that they are either true or unproven. However I think they are more easily believed in that they include a lack of foreknowledge which implies they are free from bias.

But on the other hand we have coincidences which are less clear because they rely on other and just as circumstantial data. They can be learned about through many way such as a simple comparison, impressions, emotional reactions and even psychic means.

But where is the line drawn that makes a coincidence between you (or someone else) and a past person, just that and on the other extreme, a strong connection?

For me, I firmly believe that when you're on the right track, the going gets easier and the coincidences seem to just sort of pile up, that is if you're open minded about your research and approach it with honesty.

That's an interesting question, but I feel the same way you do. As a matter of fact I had another 'odd' experience with someone I 'met' through a network with regards to me. Even though she is in the UK and I'm over here in the Eastern U.S. - it was rather interesting to say the least, what happened. It also reminded me of an incident that happened to me back in January '07. The below is copied from my site about what happened:

On 30th October, I had a bit of an interesting conversation with someone from a network that I belong to. She is located in the UK. This is what she said to me:

D.: Well, can I say Gunther that your definitely tickled my hubby's interest yesterday. He recognised your name immediately and went on to tell me all sorts of info about Gunther Prien that I didn't know.

We had a chat during a visit to the pub last night about this site and your name cropped up again with what had been going on recently. He wishes you well and hopes everything turns out ok for you.

He has a very high regard for the WWII German military, which I admit has sometimes caused a few choice words amongst those who can't tell the difference between Divisions.

It's really strange actually, what happened... We've been watching WWII documentaries on tv, and were waiting for the next one to come up after the break. I was also reading your posts and he asked who I was chatting to. I just said Gunther... And he said "Gunther Prien" out of the blue... He couldn't see the screen as I was on my iPad, and yet he said your name. I didn't say anything, but got to your photos and turned my pad round for him to look at and he said, yes, that's him! He's a highly decorated U-Boat Captain.

The next programme came on... About U-Boats.

Funny you should mention that. Right now I'm trying to determine if certain experiences I had as a child were past life memories (I'm pretty sure one was, even if I wasn't that person), coincidences (for the rest), or meaningful coincidences (i.e., there's something I'm supposed to learn here. That is also possible). Signs point to me accepting that it was me (or at least it seems I'm supposed to think so), so maybe I should just suck it up and believe it. However, part of me doesn't want to believe it. So research continues. (What a long, strange trip it's been!)

If only reincarnation were more accepted here, I wouldn't have been nearly so confused as a kid (and teen... and adult...)

Think about the possibility that there are no coincidences...that each small congruent meeting of events, thoughts and ideas are the joining of elements intended to help you see the bigger picture. That each of these "chance" meetings of circumstance are synchronicities intended to construct a reality enabling you to connect the dots. And in one more analogy, see the serendipitous confluence of events as the play of your higher self providing clues to allow your understanding of the reality beyond the illusion you perceive as your "reality".

In short, there is no coincidence...your soul has littered your path with clues, indicators and tells intended to help you track your path through your incarnate lifetime and fulfill your lifeplan...dreams, memories, thoughts and events are all there to help you move forward.

These are naturally my conception of how it works and offered solely for your consideration...I do not claim it is accurate for all, but it works for me...take everything with a grain of salt as everyone has an opinion...this is mine.

Totoro said:
For me, I firmly believe that when you're on the right track, the going gets easier and the coincidences seem to just sort of pile up, that is if you're open minded about your research and approach it with honesty.
This is how I feel except I don't see anything as coincidence...when you are living your lifeplan and following the clues you laid, it is sliding effortlessly like eggs through a hen, slicker than an eel in a barrel of hogfat, like you are on rails...when you are on track, everything flies and life is so clear and your truths become wonderfully evident. I've only been there for a few short periods in this lifetime, and was too busy being young, ignorant and enjoying the moment to give it any thought. Most of you are younger than I so you will appreciate those moments when they come... when I was your age I was absolutely in the dark about anything beyond myself. Good for all of you here.

To usetawuz: Now I understand you better with regards to the subject of coincidences. I met another walk-in who doesn't believe in them and has the same 'outlook' you do. Even though I say that I 'believe' in these happenings - my view is like yours and the other walk-in that I met.

I personally think it also has something to do with 'living one's truth' as well - that these things just happen effortlessly.

Usetawuz - I agree as well, I don't believe in coincidences in that regard at all. In fact, the only question I have is how could it have not been the way it's supposed to be all a long? I fail to answer that one after looking at the facts and the path I arrived at them.

But for the sake of discussion, what separates a coincidence from a fact? In the case that someone's that's doing their own research. Or rather, how do you hone down one what's really a "tell" or carry over?

For me, I think it's the strength either in the emotion or the persistence of the aspect in particular, even if you may not be consciously aware of it.

I'll give two of my own examples.

First is that me and my former self play piano. That could be an easy coincidence, but as long as I remember (far back as small child) whenever I saw a piano or keyboard, I said to myself, "I'm going to find out what that is and I'm going to do it". Obviously I had a very strong connection to the piano.

Later during my research, I found out that my father had bought me a piano and that out of all my hobbies, I loved music the most. You have to understand too that at that time, pianos weren't common in china. So having one was quite a big deal generally and to me as well.

Secondly a more minor habit I had was that I used to sit down in the shower; I did this from a young age well into college. Why? I don't know.. the persistence was there, but I just assumed it was something odd I did and most people felt that way that I have told. :laugh: However I've since found out that in many places in asia, it's common to sit in the shower on a small stool, especially for parents that are also bathing small children.

So I guess my point is though, that when you take all of these things and add them up, they all seem to make an arrow that points in the same direction. And of course the more you can find the further you can clarify the "arrow" and it's direction.

Totoro said:
So I guess my point is though, that when you take all of these things and add them up, they all seem to make an arrow that points in the same direction. And of course the more you can find the further you can clarify the "arrow" and it's direction.
I'm of this view myself - not only with getting the connections between my 19c Finnish lifetime and my current situation sorted out (I don't consider my life during the 20's-30's and early 40's eras a 'true' past life since I didn't reincarnate via physical rebirth), but also it's this sort of 'outlook' that's been helping me piece together the circumstances surrounding the soul exchange (why it happened and all the chaos I dealt with soon after it happened). It has only been 'now', so to speak, that I have been able to look back and reflect to get an understanding of all that's transpired. This is only because of having gotten the 'missing pieces' that I needed to help me understand and accept this spiritual experience that I went through.

And it is through the understanding of all of this that leads to the acceptance and finally being more 'at peace' on the 'mental/logical' level with this experience. My brain just needed the pieces in order to understand to 'make sense' of things.

Kapitan said:
And it is through the understanding of all of this that leads to the acceptance and finally being more 'at peace' on the 'mental/logical' level with this experience. My brain just needed the pieces in order to understand to 'make sense' of things.
I hope you'll forgive the liberty I took in editing your post. I put my quote in the quote tags (you can click the edit button in your post to see how it's done if you want) as it makes it easier to read when scanning the page. :D No offense.

I agree with you and I would also wager to think that most people that are on similar paths of self discovery feel the same way.

The issue for many people (including myself) is that we put too much between us and the pieces. I saw the pieces for a long time, but couldn't put them together until I was at a point to let go of what I knew or thought to be real. I guess it's sort of like looking at one of those 3D pictures!

Aw nah I don't mind! :D

I totally agree with what you said here:

The issue for many people (including myself) is that we put too much between us and the pieces. I saw the pieces for a long time, but couldn't put them together until I was at a point to let go of what I knew or thought to be real.
I can totally relate to that - especially the last part where you mention about letting go of what you 'knew or thought' to be real - oh man can I ever relate to that! :laugh:

I agree that there are no coincidences. I don't think your connection to the piano is a coincidence either. I have played the violin in 2 past lives that I know of, during the Renaissance, in Ireland and I play in my current life now as well. I also admired the instrument as a small child, saying I was going to learn it - like you discribe. I started playing at age 5, I was a natural, given that I only had to re-learn it. :) My connection with the violin is needless to say, very strong.

Back