• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Where to go from here with my partial memories

Only in recent months have I realized a lifelong phobia's probably related to a traumatic past life experience. Bridges. I'm absolutely terrified of them. The worst case scenarios are very long or high and arching bridges that go over bodies of water. I have panic attacks, and feel like I'm going to die from fright before the deadly collapse I'm sure is going to occur when I'm in trapped in the middle of the bridge.

The crazy thing is that I've always been afraid of even short, low bridges over shallow creeks. My elementary school was a nightmare, because the building itself was separated from the parking lot and playing fields by a creek Three bridges connected them. The creek couldn't have been more than 50 feet wide, and 15 feet to the creek bed below. The water was shallow enough that, even if a kid fell in, they'd barely get wet. Still, I had anxiety attacks. My legs trembled and I'd hold my breath every time I crossed. The center bridge was concrete paved, but the two end ones were riveted steel. Rowdy boys loved to run and stomp across, making them rumble as much as possible. I did my best to hide my fear, but always walked slowly in the middle, doing my best to avoid being jostled. I was certain my body would somehow wind up at just the right angle to go through the spaces in the railings (a virtual impossibility) if anyone bumped into me. Thirty years later, I found myself back at that school when my son was a student there for a year. I was still scared of those freakin' bridges.

It isn't just bridges over water that bother me. When I started driving, I'd freak about highway overpasses, sure that one would collapse onto my car some day. The only thing that made me feel better was knowing the odds of getting hit were low because I'd be underneath for only a second or two. Still, I held my breath until I was clear of them. It's such an extreme, irrational fear that it has to be rooted in something that actually took place. I'd love to figure out what it is. Is there a way I could get to the bottom of this :tongue: without the help of a therapist or hypnotist?
 
Before making any recommendation, it is always best to encourage someone to seek out professional help, first.


I expect that you may have already asked family members, if they remember anything during this lifetime that might have created such a phobia.


Now, that I have that out of the way, I would suggest looking into meditation and self-hypnosis methods, which are augmented by audio CD's with nice soothing voices that will help you go into a state of deep relaxation. I'm sure that members on this Forum can recommend something appropriate. I would recommend anything by Dr. Brian Weiss.


Find a quiet place to be alone and play a good regression audio tape or CD. At some time during this session you should find some way, perhaps with the help of a trusted friend, to supply the suggestion that you go back to the beginning when you first experienced this fear of bridges.
 
I have a similar phobia. Having asked family members over the years brought no clue as to why, so now I'm wondering about a past life's experience as the basis for my fear of bridges.


I've had several scary dreams of being on bridges in cars, and especially long, arched ones over water with no side guards. The anxiety I felt from experiencing what seemed like such a precarious ride was so real, but so far nothing has happened to me in those dreams. And like you I am afraid of all types of bridges. You say you feel it would collapse and in my situation it feels like the car will go over the side or fall through the bottom.


I may try what Nightrain suggests too. Glad to see I am not the only one with this phobia. Good luck to you if you seek help.


I can't say like many of you here that I can recall a past life. Just things like phobias, visions in my head, and maybe some coincidences give me some clues to possibilities but that's all.
 
Back
Top