• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Will regression help me recover what I remembered as a child?

Misty8723

Senior Registered
In one case, I can remember as a child telling my mother things that happened when I lived with my "other mother" in a big white house with pillars, on a hill.

In another case, something which my sister told me recently that our mother told her. I can't verify it or ask mom since she's passed on, but it seems that I used to cry and say that I wanted to go home. When mom told me I was home, I said that I wanted to go home to my husband and my children. Apparently, I also once located the house where I lived with my husband and children - not too far from where we lived in this life.

I'd love to know more about that, and I have the opportunity to participate in a past life regression. But it's pretty expensive and I don't have a lot of money. I've been wavering because if I spend that money and don't recover a past life or two I will be very upset I did it. Any advice that could help me make up my mind one way or the other?

Misty, I think doing a regression would help you recover your memories, and perhaps help you deal with any present life issues that relate to them. However, a lot depends on the skill of the therapist, and also on how good a subject you are. I understand money being an issue. Have you tried any self-regression cds, or keeping a journal of likes, dislikes, fears, attraction to other eras, etc.? This might be helpful before you go to a therapist. Best of luck.

I agree with BriarRose, you try some self-regression cds and some meditation and also try keeping a dream journal, you might find some recurring themes. Keeping such a journal has helped my memory in general, my brain seems to remember things that it would usually discard... if that makes any sense!

I was also really interested to read that you located your old house not far from where you lived. I'm around 15 miles/20 minutes away from the place I believe I used to live. I'm always so pleased when someone has a similar experience!

Whippoorwill, apparently the house was within walking distance. I wish my mother had told me about it somewhere along the line, but for some reason she told my sister and my sister didn't think to tell me until after mom had already passed. I do know the street it was on, and If I knew which house, maybe I could do some research to see who lived there.

BriarRose and Whippoorwill - One question about the self-regression CDs..if you do manage to regress yourself, how do you get yourself out of it? I don't know if I would be a good subject, I'm not very good at visualising if that's important. I tend to think in words, and not pictures.

There are a few recurring dreams I've had over the years, one of which involved fire, where I was threatened by it. I would always try to scream "FIRE!" and wouldn't be able to. The dreams stopped completely when husband went out and bought some fire extinguishers and a fire ladder. I always figured that might signify that I died in a fire in one of my lives.

The problem with all that, keeping journals, dreams, etc., there is no proof and its just a "feeling." I've had dreams and interest in various times in history, but is that significant? I don't know. I've had dreams where I was a young girl with blond hair dressed like a pioneer. Significant? Who knows.

We think husband might have been a gunfighter (or lawman) in a previous life, whenever he gets in a tense situation, he will "go for his gun."

Anyway, I want to thank everyone who took a few minutes to answer my (first) post. I love this forum, and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do :D

Misty8723 said:
BriarRose and Whippoorwill - One question about the self-regression CDs..if you do manage to regress yourself, how do you get yourself out of it?
The person narrating it brings you back at the end. Many people will not be able to stay "under" the full length (usually 30 minutes) and will automatically wake up. A big problem is many people who want to do a regression end up falling asleep and not remembering anything.

Misty8723 said:
Whippoorwill, apparently the house was within walking distance. I wish my mother had told me about it somewhere along the line, but for some reason she told my sister and my sister didn't think to tell me until after mom had already passed. I do know the street it was on, and If I knew which house, maybe I could do some research to see who lived there.
Within walking distance? Wow! Perhaps the house number will come to you? I'd try to find some details (house number, names etc.) during meditation or self-regression before you start any research on the area, then you'll have some facts to check and some proof to hold on to. :) One of the first things I remembered was a name, it just came to me. I found her on the 1911 census, in the right area and at the right age. But in doing this I also saw her address and the names of her family members. I wish I could've tried to remember those details independently, I'm always so grateful for any shred of proof! I desperately want to visit the street I found in the census, even though the houses have been demolished, but I just want to see if I can remember anything first! So yes, perhaps just try to think about this life for a while. See what information you get, it might just be something you can verify! Sorry, I've waffled there!

Please don't worry about the self regression CDs, they're mainly guided relaxation and you're never far "under" and free to open your eyes and sit up at any time.

Check with the local historical society or join a group about the area you remember from your past life on facebook. You will be shocked how many photos get posted.

Whippoorwill said:
Within walking distance? Wow! Perhaps the house number will come to you? I'd try to find some details (house number, names etc.) during meditation or self-regression before you start any research on the area, then you'll have some facts to check and some proof to hold on to. :) One of the first things I remembered was a name, it just came to me. I found her on the 1911 census, in the right area and at the right age. But in doing this I also saw her address and the names of her family members. I wish I could've tried to remember those details independently, I'm always so grateful for any shred of proof! I desperately want to visit the street I found in the census, even though the houses have been demolished, but I just want to see if I can remember anything first! So yes, perhaps just try to think about this life for a while. See what information you get, it might just be something you can verify! Sorry, I've waffled there!
Please don't worry about the self regression CDs, they're mainly guided relaxation and you're never far "under" and free to open your eyes and sit up at any time.
Yep, it was maybe a mile or so, I can't judge distances all that well. But we did indeed walk it many times as I was growing up. We lived out in the sticks, where houses were a good distance apart. We didn't have a car, so we walked or took a bus when we had to go into town. Apparently, the street where I located my previous house was up our street, turn right, up a hill, turn right again and somewhere in that neighborhood. I wish my mother had told me about it, pointed out the house. By the time she told my sister, she either didn't remember which house it was or my sister didn't remember her saying which one it was. I never thought about checking census records, but I could try it. I don't know what time period we're talking about, but it can't be too far back from my current life if the house was still there. I've been past that way, many times, and it's hard to know if anything is familiar because it was such a part of this life going past there, it's all pretty familiar.

Yes, you might very well recognize the area even if the houses aren't there any more - I hope you get to go there sometime! But I know what you mean about wanting to remember things first so you know you aren't just making it all up.

Mama2HRB said:
Check with the local historical society or join a group about the area you remember from your past life on facebook. You will be shocked how many photos get posted.
I guess the problem I have is the one I remember even a shred about, I have no idea what the area is or the time period. It's just living in a big white house with pillars on a hill.

The one that I just heard about recently that I remembered as a child, is so close to where I grew up I'm already very familiar with it.

I did look up clothing style that I saw myself wearing in a dream once and I was thinking "plains" but it looks like it was more pioneer. I don't know if that was just a dream or a memory, though.

Welcome Misty,

I personally don't like regression CD's.: angel The following CD is only $15.99 and I can vouch for it. I have had many wonderful experiences using it. They brought it back - at this forums request. :) They have other versions...this is the best. Approach it like meditation...the sound will bring together the right hemisphere of the brain with the left. Brought together they resonate with the heart and perhaps - answers to your questions will come to you. It's a good way to start.

696513000820-p.JPG

Back by popular demand: The Original 1999 OM.
Created to aid the listener with meditation and astral projection. “OM” is also an excellent tool for energy work, spiritual healing and massage, as the sacred OM mantra creates a high spiritual vibration.

Misty8723 said:
I do know the street it was on, and If I knew which house, maybe I could do some research to see who lived there.
You can also go to the library and look in old "city directories". Those are better than old phone books because not everyone had a phone in the old days. City directories have three sections: listed by 1) name, 2) address, 3)phone number. City directories have been around since the late 1800's. You may have to look in the local history section at the library.

You will find that the older ones tend to list people by areas of town, with just the name list (nothing alphabetical by street name but the street name is usually after the person's name)

Beware of street name changes and adjustments, especially for when 911 came into play if you are in the USA.

For instance, my old house was (similar name for example) 99 Back Street but when I bought it the address was 322 Saturn Avenue

Deborah said:
Welcome Misty,
I personally don't like regression CD's.: angel The following CD is only $15.99 and I can vouch for it. I have had many wonderful experiences using it. They brought it back - at this forums request. :) They have other versions...this is the best. Approach it like meditation...the sound will bring together the right hemisphere of the brain with the left. Brought together they resonate with the heart and perhaps - answers to your questions will come to you. It's a good way to start.

696513000820-p.JPG
Thanks, I'll look at that; however, I don't really want to get involved with astral projection. It happened once, spontaneously, and it was awesome. I just don't really want to do it again. It does sound interesting though and I've always wanted to try meditation.

argonne1918 said:
You can also go to the library and look in old "city directories". Those are better than old phone books because not everyone had a phone in the old days. City directories have three sections: listed by 1) name, 2) address, 3)phone number. City directories have been around since the late 1800's. You may have to look in the local history section at the library.
Argonne1918 - I'm familiar with the city directories. I've been involved in family history research (genealogy) for many years, and the directories are a great source of information. There are many of them on line now as well, and I think quite a few from the area I would be looking at, on Ancestry.com.

Mama2HRB said:
You will find that the older ones tend to list people by areas of town, with just the name list (nothing alphabetical by street name but the street name is usually after the person's name)
Beware of street name changes and adjustments, especially for when 911 came into play if you are in the USA.

For instance, my old house was (similar name for example) 99 Back Street but when I bought it the address was 322 Saturn Avenue
Mama2HRB: I think the name of the street in question has been the same and not changed, but that's a good point. Sometimes also the street name stays the same and the number changes (happened to a cousin recently). Also, city names might not be the city the house is actually in, but simply the mailing address for the house.

There are several ways to re-trigger those memories from when you were a child. The OM CD Deborah recommended I can vouch for as well, it is very relaxing and can quite your mind so you can focus. Self regression & Meditation CDs are an excellent way to practice getting to that quiet state. Brian Weiss & Roger Woolger have several that are very good too.

You have all the answers to your questions within you, it's just a matter of being able to hear them. The journey is a enjoyable process!

Back