• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Zorses and zonkeys!

Lynnette

Member
I had the most bizzare dream recently, where I was sat on a bench on the roadside in a very old fashioned looking town, just contemplating the sky and the breeze and life in general, when I heard the sound of hooves and turned to see a carriage come careering round the corner and turn up the road in front of me... it was pulled by a pair of zorses (zebra-horse crosses)! Then a couple of bareback, riderless appaloosas came charging along behind them, then a couple of other ponies with riders, some shetlands, carriages, and another carriage with four zorses or zonkeys (zebra-donkey crosses!). :eek:

Until this dream, I had never even contemplated the fact that zorses, zonkeys and zebrasses even existed, but when I saw the first pair come careering round the corner, I knew exactly what they were! But then I can't think of ever having come across the subject before, or of seeing or hearing anything that could have triggered of built itself into such a dream...:confused:

Has anyone else ever found themselves having quite such a bizzare dream and it tying in with the time period of a PL?
 
They might well have been, since they were that same sandy reddish colour, but I seem to remember the stripes being on the back end and hind legs, while your link states quaggas were stripped only at the front..??
 
No, definitely not okapi.


I wonder if anyone ever had the zorse/zonkey hybrids as part of a circus or show or something? It would surely have been a novelty in its time ... and never mind then, I can imagine it would probably be a grand novelty now! It certainly took me aback!
 
What an interesting dream...Sometimes they really can surprise you! :laugh:


Being a horse owner myself, and having spent a good amount of time at horse shows/fairs, I have seen the mule/zebra & horse/zebra crosses in person...Not sure how far back the breeding goes, certainly would be worth doing more research on. :thumbsup:
 
The carriage does look remarkably similar in set up to one of those in my dream, but they were definitely not zebras pulling it, they were only semi-zebra-like... seeing the modern day pictures of the quaggas does make me wonder and doubt myself now - were the stripes on the behinds, or were they in the fronts? They may well have been zeb-somethings, or they may have been quaggas - the only point against the quaggas, is that they were obviously brought to the point of extinction, so would i really have seen teams of them pulling a race of carriages?
 
Back
Top