• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Past life regression and addressing issues like racism?

Can viewing a past life in another racial group increase our level of empathy for others?

• Yes....

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • No.....

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Maybe....

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters

DennisTate

In my opinion it is possible to radically change the opinions of some people who are full of hate
by regressing them in time under hypnosis until they view a past life in which they
were in a totally different racial group.

Well over sixty percent of Helen Wambach Ph. D.'s volunteers were women....... but
almost exactly fifty percent of past lives viewed were of men.

The volunteers also saw themselves reincarnating all over the racial, ethnic and
spirituality spectrum.

In my opinion our experiences from one incarnation to the next are varied so much as to provide opportunities to cope with and learn from the viewpoints of all possible life scenarios. We live as members of every "race", ethnicity, religion, gender identity, relationship, health/physical/handy-cap advantages and challenges.

Sometimes when hatred is the leading emotion, souls find themselves within the culture they hated. Not by choice, but drawn like a magnet. There are several regressionists that have written about this. In my own experience the reasons were different, sometimes subtle, sometimes not for the reasons one would think..

From what I' ve seen, you tend to feel close to the racial groups you belonged to in one life or another. So if someone is really prejudiced, they either never had a past life as those groups or they have issues with their past life, in which case who knows if they will do a sucessful regression.

Sometimes a negative opinion on race is justified although not exactly acceptable. Consider perchance this notion, perhaps an individual that is extremely racist was murdered by a person of said race in a prior lifetime. However, being able to recall living as a race in which you are racist toward does not necessitate the person gaining a new understanding of the race at all. Let's say someone was hateful toward anything Chinese, and then discovered they had past lives in China. It may not alter their opinion it may just give them an interesting standpoint to look upon, but may never change their opinion. In several of my past lives, I can pinpoint a certain group of people that have wronged me - and it has given me a negative feeling toward them, however I am able to understand my negative feeling toward the group of people and therefore handle everything better and more appropriately. But as I see said above, it seems you tend to feel a closeness to races you belonged to in your past. If someone is prejudice toward a certain group there could be a past life reason for it.

I definitely agree 1 of the so many purposes of reincarnation is that human shall have full compassion to others despite their gender, races, religions, ages, demography, social status, fame, wealth, etc.

Those who are rich this life might b poor next life, those who were men, could be women this life, those who have dark skin might be born as european or western or asian next time. Thus, we shall not have hatred & discrimination to anyone. Just imagine how we would like to be treated if we were in the opposite situation & condition by mirroring yourself into other person.
Not to mention, we shall develop our compassion everyday, if we see a beggar on the street no matter they are poor for real or not, try to give some, even few penny, just imagine that person was our beloved son, daughter, hubby, mom, dad or family in the past life & ask for food. If we close our eyes & turn away, we already create unfavorable karma, at same time by giving away some of our wealth we are also practicing non-attachment to worldly materials which will serve us greatly for the spiritual evolution & keep our karma wheel positive for favorable reincarnation.

Last edited:
If you were a racist in a past life then you will become the race you hated in the next life. The souls wants to achieve balance.

If you were a racist in a past life then you will become the race you hated in the next life. The souls wants to achieve balance.

While it is understandable why we are still stuck in the Nazi concept of race when we actually mean ethnicity, we really need to detach ourselves from these outdated conceptions of reality through understanding and learning about the truth of our existence. I hope this insightful observation made by an interstellar visitor could help us in our reflection and help us to do something about it: “Most humans are so utterly indoctrinated by the externally implanted norms which bombard them from the cradle to the grave that they have no understanding that their ‘normal’ thinking is their own individual and collective prison.”

These externally implanted norms, namely religion, education, culture, traditions, etc., are imbedded in a person's psychic make-up that they practically constitute the bedrock of their daily conscious and subconscious activities. Outside of these psychological boxes, we find ourselves exposed to the unknown. And in the absence of wisdom, these considerations are mostly fear-based and are outright delusions when interpreted and eventually translated into varied modes of human expression. Attitudes and habits are so entrenched that they become this sort of psychic, impregnable prison wall.

Lastly, we are one race, homo sapiens.

Sometimes our expectations of how reincarnation and karma work are incorrect because our views are human-centric, not soul-centric. Consequently, in spite of our best intentions, hard work, and sacrifice, we don't do what we incarnated here to learn and do. I believe that hard work and suffering aren't required to progress. Much of the pain we endure in life is an indication that we aren't working toward our life's purpose as souls.

Oh, definitely! The more experience one makes with past lives, the more they see beyond ethnic, gender etc. kind of "masks." The challenge is: someone who is full of racial hatred, is very unlikely to embark on a spiritual journey of self-exploration, including the exploration of past lives. Having said that, I have made the following - I think crucially important - observation (with clients I regressed, but also friends and myself): people who were distinctly racist in the past, tend to be distinctly tolerant in this life, indeed, protectors of human rights. (Lesson learned!) For example, people with a Nazi past (who in the meanwhile did the inner work) are the ones who spot when a regime like that is rising and tend to raise their voices. All of this gives great hope for our HUMAN race.

Oh, definitely! The more experience one makes with past lives, the more they see beyond ethnic, gender etc. kind of "masks." The challenge is: someone who is full of racial hatred, is very unlikely to embark on a spiritual journey of self-exploration, including the exploration of past lives. Having said that, I have made the following - I think crucially important - observation (with clients I regressed, but also friends and myself): people who were distinctly racist in the past, tend to be distinctly tolerant in this life, indeed, protectors of human rights. (Lesson learned!) For example, people with a Nazi past (who in the meanwhile did the inner work) are the ones who spot when a regime like that is rising and tend to raise their voices. All of this gives great hope for our HUMAN race.
Is that really such huge different? U had such clients?

I had discovered several of my PLs, eventho I thought they might b not mine at all (either it's so or i just cant accept this reality) coz this life, I LOVE making friends with all nats that ppl can hardly imagine (the richness fromA-Z), read about their culture, sometimes religions & learn as many languages as I could from them, but in most of my PLs, Ive been involved in war/military & politic matters of different countries which I think something more to do with patriotism of a certain country. This life I nvr give a glance about war & politic matters & even make the oppose race as my good friend where ppl of my own race could nvr understand me why I do this, I just wanted to show them, we can live peacefully with others whom are not the same as us. In fact we r only 1 race, human race. To see broader in matter of universe, then we r just 1 race as beings of the creator.

Last edited:
Is that really such huge different? U had such clients?

I had discovered several of my PLs, eventho I thought they might b not mine at all (either it's so or i just cant accept this reality) coz this life, I LOVE making friends with all nats that ppl can hardly imagine (the richness fromA-Z), read about their culture, sometimes religions & learn as many languages as I could from them, but in most of my PLs, Ive been involved in war/military & politic matters of different countries which I think something more to do with patriotism of a certain country. This life I nvr give a glance about war & politic matters.

I do see a distinct pattern, yes, and it seems to correspond what you're describing about your experiences. For example, I remember some of my own past lives in which I have fought for a certain cause of a certain country (in other lives for the exact opposite!), until in this life - like you - I feel completely unpolitical. (But do raise my voice if it comes to human rights violations.) At one point, I believe, we have to transcend the concept of enemy, the us-versus-them mentality, and experience our unity. Sounds like you are on that path!

@Viktoria Duda
I just wonder how could the change be so drastically? I thought there should b a kind of transition phase, like I might be still have a kind of a bit distant to certain race/nat, but no, not at all this life time. I really embrace all of them, I do believe there are always good ppl in 1 nat, but also less good ones, so if a group of ppl do something less favorable to humanity, I wont dislike the whole nat. I dont even feel that there's a need for me to dislike that group either. I just find them pity & sad for what they have done & for losing beautiful chances in life, in case they decide to take the other better path.

Last edited:
I would say the drastic change is due to 1) the involvement of good guides (in-between-lives) and 2) the willingness to learn (in this life). Remember, these cases are of people who came to have sessions about their past lives, so it is not the random population, rather people who are VERY MUCH willing to learn. It just illustrates the point: once a person reaches a certain level of maturity and want to evolve consciously, that is like a catalyst. It really speeds up the process.

I would say the drastic change is due to 1) the involvement of good guides (in-between-lives) and 2) the willingness to learn (in this life). Remember, these cases are of people who came to have sessions about their past lives, so it is not the random population, rather people who are VERY MUCH willing to learn. It just illustrates the point: once a person reaches a certain level of maturity and want to evolve consciously, that is like a catalyst. It really speeds up the process.
I didnt go to any sessions of PLR, it was just suddenly opened & started seeing visions, but I did prayed & asked for an explanation how universe & karma work, thats why I can not validate whether its my PLs or other's, coz I saw too many ppl in my as 1st 2nd 3rd person in my visions without knowing which one was my PL due to i had to no emotional ties to any of my vision

Reading these posts, I made a few mental notes:
1. Those of us who know now what's right / what's wrong should remember that we were, or we'll be on the other side of the argument!
2. Doing injustice to others, will bring injustice onto us, we should keep in mind that we can be wrong!
3. Being ignorant, careless, utopian about the possible consequences of our thoughts, desires, actions, won't shield us from accumulating negative karma if we're mistaken!
So many of us are convinced we're right and doing right ...

@baro-san
Which posts u referred to, barosan? I can't really understand point 1

Sorry for the confusion. Those were my thoughts, not necessarily a reply to a certain post. You know how thoughts form in your mind, jumping from one branch to another ... you soon draw up a tree.

Regarding (1.): I was thinking in terms of whoever we are in this life, we might be a karmic result of an opposite of whoever we were in a past life. As we tend to believe that the way we're thinking now is right, there might be a past life when we were as convinced that the opposite was right. It is also possible that this life is actually the first leg of karmic pair, in which we're now making a mistake that will trigger an opposite lesson in a future life.

Just come across this thread. I know it's an old one - but it resonates with thoughts I'm having now. I've moved a few years ago from one part of a country (Britain) to another part of the same country. I was in England and have moved to Wales and I can certainly see this sort of thing in action. I'm in a very "Welsh language" area here. I can see other English people that also moved here are pushing the attempt to revive the Welsh language/s (even though it's at the expense of those that don't speak Welsh) and my suspicion is that these people lived here in Wales back in a time when it was forbidden to speak Welsh and hence they've "swung to the other side of the pendulum" and are pushing Welsh at the expense of those that don't speak it. Then there are Welsh Nationalists doing their darndest to force us all to speak it whether we can or not (eg an increasing number of schools teaching all subjects in Welsh - even if many of the pupils don't speak Welsh). Also it is much more difficult for people to get a job in the public sector - they are often discriminated against if they don't speak Welsh and sometimes won't get that job (even if they are "the best person for the job") and it's given to a Welsh speaker instead - ie discrimination at play. This sort of thing is currently very much on the increase in Wales (and I gather the same is happening with attempts to revive the Gaelic language in Scotland and Ireland). So - I understand that those English people that go along with this are being the way they are because they've probably been Welsh (or Irish or Scottish) in previous lives and weren't allowed to speak those languages.

Now I'm pondering as to why Welsh Nationalists (or Scottish or Irish Nationalists) are SO adamant that everyone MUST speak those languages and trying so hard to revive those languages - to the extent that they are forcing schoolchildren to have their lessons in those languages (even if they only speak English), denying people jobs and training, even making people "redundant" from jobs they already have and replacing them with those that speak that language. Some of them can be VERY forceful/VERY rude and doing their darndest to discriminate in any way they can think of against people that only speak English and I've been on the receiving end of attempts to get me "sacked" from voluntary work I do by them (so far successfully held it at bay and still doing my voluntary work - but concerned in case they manage it at some point). Now - just why are these Nationalists being so adamant/forceful/downright rude at a personal level/etc - and I think this must be down to some sort of past life stuff they've got going on personally. But I can't figure what sort of thing would have happened to them in a past life to make them be so discriminatory/angry/etc/etc against the rest of us? I can resonate with the earlier comment about someone that was a Nazi, for instance, in a previous life having realised this was wrong since and being able to see when a society is turning that way - and its resonating here.

I'm just sitting back gobsmacked at just how "angry" they are and how they are busily trying their best to put all this discriminatory stuff in place (at the expense of the rest of us) - eg in Wales it's the "Welsh Language Standards" (measures that have been passed into law by the Welsh Assembly in recent years) - insisting on forcing organisations to have staff communicating in Welsh. I gather the same sort of thing is happening in Ireland and Scotland? These Standards are being broadened too - at the moment they basically include the public sector, but they are planning on including banks and supermarkets next and even talking about whether they can impose them on the voluntary sector.

Any thoughts on what it might be in a previous life that has caused these Nationalists to be this way/what could have caused it? Do people think that maybe some of them were also Welsh/Scottish/Irish in a previous life and on the receiving end of discrimination against them then and have come back as exactly the same "nationality" in this life to try and take revenge?

Just trying to understand what's going on here - because it certainly isn't logical by any standards I can think of.

Hi Ceridwen2,

I know what you mean. Nationalistic energy can be strong and wild. I don't know what kind of relation there is with reincarnation.
All over Europe, there are areas with nationalistic outbursts. The power of a rising underdog has a great appeal to many.
I see it as a reaction to world globalization. When the economy is high there are no problems and people enjoy the benefits of it. Part of it is losing your identity. When the economy goes down and income decreases and there is stagnation in personal lives, then people feel uncomfortable, worthless and want to go back to old values and old times. There is a lot of frustration in nationalistic uprisings.
I know it is not the only explanation. I've also experienced another form of nationalism.
When I was young I had studied Catalan at university and after one year I went to Catalunya* to do voluntary work with children in the mountains. This time became one of the worst episodes of my life. My Catalan was still not good enough (I had hoped to improve it there) to participate in all the conversations and nobody wanted to translate to Spanish. I became more isolated by the day, until the extreme. I couldn't leave, because we were in the mountains. It was really a soul shock by that time.
These people were not poor and the economy was still booming. But of course, there was still a lot of frustration because the Franco era was still in their minds. During Franco, he wanted to erase the identity of the Basks and the Catalans. My experience was only 10 years after his death.

Funny thing is, decades later I found out I have lived in Catalunya in at least one former live. I had always felt proud somehow when I studied its history, it's language, it's art and literature.

* part of Spain

I think you may well be right that that is another aspect to it. I know that my suspicions as to why this resurgence of nationalism in different parts of Britain is happening include thinking that it might be because many British people feel somewhat "under seige" from a flood of illegal immigrants coming in from poorer countries/different cultures to our own and I'm guessing the same applies in other European countries. It feels to me like one aspect of this (only one aspect - as well as the "seeking revenge by reincarnation" one) is that internal borders are being "reinforced" by parts of Britain (ie Scotland, Wales, Ireland) trying to "divide themselves off". It doesn't feel to me (though I may be wrong of course) like Ireland is being that way to such an extent as Wales and Scotland and I guess there may be an element in there of how England has helped out Irish women unable to get an abortion in Ireland for some time (I've certainly read a recent article by an Irish woman expressly thanking the English for taking these women in helping them - without judgement/without question - when they needed it and it was illegal in Ireland). So I think there are a noticeable number of Irish people grateful to the English for helping them when they needed it in this respect.

I can sympathise with your experience in Catalan - particularly when you had gone there to help them and been so "positive" yourself towards them. In your position - I would certainly have expected people to be glad I was there to help them & trying to learn the language to boot and automatically translated as required for you. I can certainly understand why you felt isolated. Thankfully, for me, there are lots of English people living here in the town I'm in too (albeit a lot of whom don't understand where I'm "coming from"!) and I can get out of this particular town (by bus - and it's only once an hour during Monday-Saturday daytimes!) to a bigger town down in the next county (ie Pembrokeshire) and it's much more "English" there and this attitude doesn't seem to exist there. I also go on visits back to my home area in England when I can afford it for a few days. It is a relief when I do that I don't feel I need to "look over my shoulder" in case someone is eavesdropping and, at least mentally, criticising something perfectly innocent I've just said.

Things aren't as bad as you had them - as a retired person I can't be discriminated out of getting jobs at least. I have had "Complaints" to effect of I'm not promoting the Welsh language in my voluntary work. I do get the odd incident where I'm told I "ought to learn Welsh" on the one hand or a milder one like yesterday. Yesterday being where I was helping a couple of Welsh women that had come in speaking Welsh to each other and they kept using "basic greeting/thanking" words in Welsh to me to quite an excessive extent it felt - though I was only speaking in English to them and I could see the look on the face of one of them/was feeling mentally pressured by her to come out with at least those basic words back to her and just kept a smile fixed on my face and selling her the goods she wanted in "standard helpful manner" and said nothing and pretended I hadn't noticed I was feeling pressurised by her. But that was a more minor incident - but still one that has me feeling slightly concerned in case she goes back and "puts in a Complaint" that I only spoke English to her and it goes on the "tally" and I land up getting "sacked" from this voluntary position, though I was perfectly helpful to her #sighs.

I have got to the extent that I have made the basic decision to go back to England (as I can see things are currently getting worse - the nationalists seem to be feeling "stronger/more confident" currently) and trying to impose being forced to learn Welsh on a steadily increasing number of people. I'm trying to figure out ways I can afford to sell my house and buy one back in my home area though currently (as the houses there are so much more expensive). All this pressure is making me feel "low" - even though I'm so thankful I'm not a school child and my income safely comes from pensions.

You've probably not heard of the "Welsh Not". I know I hadn't - until I moved here. This was where a hundred years or so ago English teachers forced Welsh schoolchildren to speak English (whether they knew it or no) and they were punished for not doing so. So - schoolchildren being forced to learn in Welsh these days in many schools here is quite obviously the exact same thing in reverse - ie an "English Not". I do wonder whether many of the people forcing this on schoolchildren were Welsh schoolchildren a few generations ago and having the "Welsh Not" done to them and are now retaliating (in this lifetime) with an "English Not" (ie they stored their resentment at this up in their heads and decided to "get their own back" if they ever had the chance - and are ignoring the fact it's not appropriate in the 21st century).

Sometimes a negative opinion on race is justified although not exactly acceptable. Consider perchance this notion, perhaps an individual that is extremely racist was murdered by a person of said race in a prior lifetime. However, being able to recall living as a race in which you are racist toward does not necessitate the person gaining a new understanding of the race at all. Let's say someone was hateful toward anything Chinese, and then discovered they had past lives in China. It may not alter their opinion it may just give them an interesting standpoint to look upon, but may never change their opinion. In several of my past lives, I can pinpoint a certain group of people that have wronged me - and it has given me a negative feeling toward them, however I am able to understand my negative feeling toward the group of people and therefore handle everything better and more appropriately. But as I see said above, it seems you tend to feel a closeness to races you belonged to in your past. If someone is prejudice toward a certain group there could be a past life reason for it.

Right on the money. I have always reincarnated as a man and always as a European. Although at least once as a European in the Southern Confederacy. I have visited much of the world in my lives, however. My contact with other races in this life and in others has been as negative as it has been extensive. In direct relation. If it is not a factor which can and will go wrong, it is no problem. If it is a factor, it goes bad. I don't think I would like others more if I knew them better, because it seems like the more I see of them every day, the less tolerance I have for certain behaviors and cultural traits associated with various groups of people. The one group besides Europeans that I can admire, preferably at a distance, is Asians. Especially the Japanese. Highly stratified and complex culture, very ordered, polite, honorable and a strong martial tradition. My absolute favorite culture outside of the European sphere of any time period is Sengoku era Japan. I can literally spend weeks buried in books and articles about it, but I don't think I have lived there. I have practiced Japanese martial arts a lot and learned some of their language, as well, plus their food is delicious and neat.

I remember having belonged to different "social classes", at least, and one of the lives I remember definitely took part outside Europe.
In my personal opinion, the mere concept of reincarnation will make any individual who realized it more tolerant. Because, like Eowyn writes in her book also, in your next life, you could be on the other side...
I am more or less convinced that if everyone remembered past lives, there would be no war anymore. Because you'll never know where and when your next reincarnation will take part.
Who is "the enemy" depends on where and when you are. It is a matter of perspective if you ask me.

It is a possibility.

We are reminded regularly of the old adage from 'Walk a Mile in His Moccasins' by Mary T. Lathrap, and to view someone else's struggles and traditions before we judge them. So, perhaps, those who can judge another softer than others have walked that mile, in a past life. Maybe, some are simply more compassionate than others. This subject has now got me wondering what kind of lives these modern-day White Supremacists lived prior to their current incarnations. Are they former KKK or Third Reich members/soldiers? Are the modern feminists the new embodiments of the Suffragettes? What are those who were once African slaves transported to American shores like in their current lives? It certainly is an interesting topic of thought and discussion.

Hi Cerdwin I somehow neglected to welcome you to the forum. I'm sorry that you ran into discrimination and hope that you can find a way to resolve its interference in your happiness. I'm in the USA where Nationalism is being promoted again and there are many here experiencing what you are - I am personally torn by this since I see the pain inflicted upon both sides.

Hi Yvette,

I'd be cautious about the White Supremacist label. In the U.S. it is used as a generalized smear against anyone who is an old fashioned nationalist patriot. I think the same thing is happening in Europe. Very few of the people being smeared in this way are actually White Supremacists. Nationalistic patriotism may not be a good thing in the modern age, but that is a different question/argument. (BTW-I am not accusing you of such mislabeling, I'm just commenting on the subject).

In any case, I don't think it is necessary that the real White Supremacists have PLs as KKK, etc. You'll find plenty of racism around the world, its just that we talk about it and condemn it more in ourselves in the West than they do elsewhere. Likewise, there is a great deal of Caste prejudice in India and religious prejudice in Muslim countries. The point is that someone who is steeped in the idea that they are innately superior, by virtue of being in one group rather than another, could easily transfer that tendency into whatever new group they belong to in a new lifetime. I think it is more often going to be a character trait that is being transferred rather than a particular prejudice, though there certainly could be some of the latter as well.

Cordially,
S&S

My observation is that all the human history long there always has been intolerant divergence of opinion, all sides strongly convinced of the correctness of their beliefs. This might be one glaring proof that each one creates their own reality. This is also an explanation for us still being here, and likely due to reincarnate in spite of most of us not wanting to come back on Earth.

Let's not forget that attitudes that the many disprove these days were completely acceptable during other times. I'm sure the future will do the same to our values, and probably not the way we might imagine now.

Any way, as far as I know, we aren't similar to our past incarnations neither physically, nor morally, nor intellectually, nor spiritually, nor ability wise, ... And, we're far from what our essences are.

Back