• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

A Little Embarassing...

Shiftkitty

Registered User
So last night I was channel surfing and stopped on "Engineering An Empire" because the scene was so familiar. It was a Roman camp near where Hadrian's Wall was going to be built. I saw the soldiers going about their duties, tending their armor, practicing combat moves, and at times sitting around and having a good laugh and drink. The feeling of knowing that scene was so overwhelming!

Then my husband comes in and grumbles "How many times are they going to show this episode?" Yeah, I was having flashbacks to the last time I saw this episode, not to the life! Heh-heh... whoops!
 
I would speculate that when you view a commercial on TV for the hundredth time, it may be familiar—yet it is not familiar to you in the same way as that scene at Hadrian's Wall. I suspect that you may "feel" familiar with it for reasons that may go beyond having seen the program before.
 
I've always been attracted to Ancient Rome and Hadrian's Wall, but what made me laugh at myself was that I was gasping to myself at how exact the scene was. Of course it looked so familiar, we had just seen it two months ago!


I do remember the first time I ever saw images of what was left of the wall. It was kind of amazing and kind of sad, too. First that we actually built it (yeah, 'we') and second seeing what the ravages of time had done to it, almost like it was for nothing. I keep meaning to study more about Rome in Britain and the impact on the cultures and landscape. Can you recommend any books on the subject?
 
Actually...it's refreshing. To be so brutally honest and show....we are after all, human. :D thanks for sharing this part of your experience too!
 
Thanks! I think I get it from my dad. His war stories of World War Two were never worthy of John Wayne so much as they were of Beetle Bailey. None of this "There I was, down to my last bullet..." It was more like "There I was, looking like a total fool..."
 
Back
Top