• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Covid19 Thread 1 (The Elephant in the Room)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi S&S you are right I have no clue...I'm not an experts on the bible but I think your god has used nature as a weapon... things like the story of the Exodus
Since my retirement which gives me more time to meditate I been doing as best as I can to prepare myself in getting BB my pure spiritual self into the reincarnation process's fully intact next time
It's interesting the more I meditate with BB on these things the more I feel he doesn't care what happens nest time .. I don't mean that in a negative way .. I just don't think he cares all that much about what needs to be done.. As I have said I only get bits and pieces an do as best as I can with them
Putting those bits and pieces together the following is some of my John Tat's explanations (as best as I can) of some of them
As is believed in most religions... the believers will be rewarded by there gods who will take them to a higher level of existence Different to your god the believers in the sun gods will be taken to a higher of level of existence in the physical.. They will go to a level of existence they could have never imagined
The believers in other gods will be left to survive as best they can in there old ways with there diseases and short life spans
Over several generation the believers in other gods will cease to exist as parents look to a better life for themselves and there children and are outlived by generations by the believers in the sun gods
Will there be war?.. BB no longer talks about war.. talk about war is hollow and cheap .
That's the best I can make of some bits and pieces than come to me during meditations with BB my pure spiritual self

All The Best

All:

If anyone has news updates that will help in keeping us all safe, please post.

I noticed recently that the initial data from China indicates that people with Type O blood are less impacted than people with Type A blood. I suppose this means that other blood types are in the middle. However, people with Type A should be especially careful.

Initial indications (I believe this is from France) are that people should use acetaminophen products rather than ibuprofen products for fever and pain reduction if infected. However, this is apparently based on logical deduction based on certain biochemical factors rather than experimental evidence.

Indications are that people 0-29 basically have a 0% mortality rate (or something close to that). This is very good news to all parents and grandparents. However, the teen-aged and young adults are notably having a hard time resisting social interaction (from partying to just getting together in social groups) and frequenting their usual public places, etc. I realize they enjoy virtual immunity, but the rest of us don't, so if you are in these age groups, please think carefully about the possible consequences of your actions on others.

Feel free to add your own and update the foregoing as information becomes available.

Cordially,
S&S

Latest reports here in England are that a possible vaccine is still 12 - 18 months away. Is this the same in US?

It's been successful in mice, but now there's endless testing to deal with. I'm hoping that someone might progress faster than this, as I'm not exactly delighted at the thought of staying in my house for a year or more! But if that what it takes to save my skin, that's what I'll do. It's better than the alternative!

All:

If anyone has news updates that will help in keeping us all safe, please post.

I noticed recently that the initial data from China indicates that people with Type O blood are less impacted than people with Type A blood. I suppose this means that other blood types are in the middle. However, people with Type A should be especially careful.

Initial indications (I believe this is from France) are that people should use acetaminophen products rather than ibuprofen products for fever and pain reduction if infected. However, this is apparently based on logical deduction based on certain biochemical factors rather than experimental evidence.

Indications are that people 0-29 basically have a 0% mortality rate (or something close to that). This is very good news to all parents and grandparents. However, the teen-aged and young adults are notably having a hard time resisting social interaction (from partying to just getting together in social groups) and frequenting their usual public places, etc. I realize they enjoy virtual immunity, but the rest of us don't, so if you are in these age groups, please think carefully about the possible consequences of your actions on others.

Feel free to add your own and update the foregoing as information becomes available.

Cordially,
S&S

The difference between Type O and Type A blood impact levels is very small and can be due to a statistical error in measurements, so I wouldn't put too much importance to this fact and let it influence one's attitude towards the problem.

I myself am of Type O blood type.

The best guarantee of safety is a fridge full of food and remaining at home.

Covid-19 on surfaces:

The New England Journal of Medicine reports coronavirus can survive for 72 hours on steel and plastic, which may be one of the factors that has caused “community spread” among people who have not traveled.

So door handles, counter tops, and other similar fixtures can "get ya"--make sure you thoroughly clean your hands after you have been somewhere. I feel the same way about those gas pump handles after I've finished pumping gas. :confused:

S&S

The best guarantee of safety is a fridge full of food and remaining at home.
Enough food, yes, but without hoarding. There is no shortage of food atm, and the shortage of toilet paper (wtf...) was caused by hoarders.
Staying at home and avoiding contact when ever possible, definitely yes.
Some people still don't get it... they panic on the one hand, and then push in the supermarket. Or these youths who meet in front of a closed youth center in groups.
This is nothing like the Plague, but every single individual can do their part to break the chain reaction.

All the "information" out there.... I have no idea how reliable it is.

From a German newspaper and the news from my mail provider (web.de):
CureVac might be able to have a vaccine tested this summer, and it might be availabe this autumn. Because even in Germany they are reducing bureaucrazy now.

Also from web.de:
Looks like in China, Taiwan and South Korea the worst is over. Numbers of new infections are going down again. Many factories and stores in China re-opened.

Again, no guarantee. No idea how reliable this is. Nice to have something positive that gives hope, though.

EDIT: It's in German, but I'll put links here. Google translate might work...
https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtsch...-auf-corona-impfstoff-im-herbst-16684254.html
https://web.de/magazine/news/coronavirus/corona-pandemie-ueberwunden-nachrichten-hoffnung-34528118

Last edited:
Hi Tanker,

I believe they have already begun limited human testing in the U.S. The problem is that vaccines have to go through a long "vetting" process, though I think this process is being expedited in the current case. Still, the problems with anything of this type are not only effectiveness, but long-terms issues that may not show up for an extended period.

Frankly, I think they would do best with this one to start with the people who are already at highest risk and move downward. After all, if you're in your 90s you already have limited lifespan ahead in which latent defects in the vaccine will show up. Likewise, horror of horrors, if there were some type of horrible unknown side-effect (e.g., 50% of those vaccinated go blind within 5 years) it definitely would be better to have a more limited number of oldsters in this category take that risk than the huge number of people in the prime of life. (BTW--I am a 65+ "oldster"). Anyhow, just my opinion.

Cordially,
S&S

Hi S&S
Errrr ... maybe best not to think too hard on that one! I've had enough difficult choices recently! But here's hoping.

Covid-19 on surfaces:

The New England Journal of Medicine reports coronavirus can survive for 72 hours on steel and plastic, which may be one of the factors that has caused “community spread” among people who have not traveled.

So door handles, counter tops, and other similar fixtures can "get ya"--make sure you thoroughly clean your hands after you have been somewhere. I feel the same way about those gas pump handles after I've finished pumping gas. :confused:

S&S
I have a separate space in my house where I deposit any non-perishable shopping that kind friends get for me. I leave them there for a few days before handling them at all. When they first arrive, I wear gloves to handle them and wash those afterwards before washing hands. Sounds like overkill, but it keeps me happy.

Kind friends are buying me toilet rolls (not on my list as I have dozens) whenever they see them. I'll probably open a shop or put them on ebay and make a large profit. Rollitis seems to be some kind of parallel disease around here.

ps ... That idea of selling them was supposed to be a joke ... but I hear people are actually doing that now!

Last edited:
Hi All,

A quote from: https://apnews.com/1f800f38611f3fe95a309d607a24023a

The arrival of the coronavirus, and the muted methods being recommended to the public to arrest its spread, are a hard sell for some Americans, and that’s not surprising. Literature, movies and advertising have always shown us otherwise.

The central mythology across much of the country’s history, from the Puritans to the frontier to 9/11, has been about getting up and going out to do what needs to be done — not staying home, being quiet and practicing what can look a whole lot like inaction.

I found this an interesting article from the U.S. standpoint, even though it will have varying degrees of applicability elsewhere, especially in Europe. The latter could be because the U.S. is basically a Euro colony with a UK and Northern European slant. The main difference is that in terms of attitude the U.S. tends to be a bit more like Europe in its world-conquering, non-apologetic "in your face" era. This can be seen as either a positive or negative characteristic depending on viewpoint and situation. Just my opinion. Anyhow, the problem outlined, though possibly having less of an application in Europe, may still resonate.

Cordially,
S&S

The point in staying at home (yo me quedo en casa - io resto a casa) is that the virus passes from one person to another during the incubation period (from 5 to 11 days since the moment of infection), i.e., before the infected person knows he/she is infected. So, the best thing is to cut down ANY contacts, to exclude such "blind" infections.

The point in staying at home (yo me quedo en casa - io resto a casa) is that the virus passes from one person to another during the incubation period (from 5 to 11 days since the moment of infection), i.e., before the infected person knows he/she is infected. So, the best thing is to cut down ANY contacts, to exclude such "blind" infections.
Exactly, Cyrus. How many are walking around out there in blissful ignorance? Cutting down any contacts is the only way to stay reasonably safe.

As a bit of a fact check the incubation period in some cases though uncommon can be up to almost a month rather than just 4 to 11 days, the longest anyone has gone from first exposure to being admitted for hospitalization was 42 days as reported in Chinese media. It is estimated that anywhere from 40 to 70% of the global population will be infected at some point or another before this is all over with deaths in the small %, the risks to the young are less obvious but can be long lasting due to lung damage. As for seasonality it looks as though hot weather doesn't have much if any affect on the virus unlike with the common flu.

I was wondering about that last bit...going into spring and summer now, I was pondering if we'd have some respite. But yeah, I was reading a week or two ago that it's made no difference. My area here in the USA has been the hardest hit and I'm very worried about my inlaws, who are in the Southern Hemisphere and heading into winter. Semi-comforted that cold weather won't make things worse for them.

Latest reports here in England are that a possible vaccine is still 12 - 18 months away. Is this the same in US?

It's been successful in mice, but now there's endless testing to deal with. I'm hoping that someone might progress faster than this, as I'm not exactly delighted at the thought of staying in my house for a year or more! But if that what it takes to save my skin, that's what I'll do. It's better than the alternative!

Human vaccine trials have started, but the finished product is still a ways out unfortunately. The last estimate I heard was over a year away from now.

However, the teen-aged and young adults are notably having a hard time resisting social interaction (from partying to just getting together in social groups) and frequenting their usual public places, etc. I realize they enjoy virtual immunity, but the rest of us don't, so if you are in these age groups, please think carefully about the possible consequences of your actions on others.

As a 24 year old, I'm honestly doing fine hanging by myself, but I do miss being able to go do stuff and talk to people in person. I'd rather be lonely than put someone's health at risk who'd be worse off than me.

When I took a walk the other day, it was eerily quiet even for small town USA.

I have O negative blood When I was younger I would have donate gallons of my blood.. The blood banks always chased me to donate I also have a naturally high white blood cell count When I was younger I had many tests to see why .. in the end the doctors could find no reasons why.. Over my life I have only had the flue once... as a very young child.. colds... I cannot remember the last time I had one
I have in recent times thought it must be a combination of my O negative blood and a naturally higher than normal white blood cell count that protects me maybe I'm wrong but something protects me

I have a tendency to die when the worst is over... I still don't worry about myself. My worst fear is that I might spread the virus without noticing.
What makes it so dangerous is that it takes several days, maybe weeks before you show any symptoms. And that some people don't have any symptoms at all. So you can have the virus, feel well, and infect others.
While it hasn't been ordered by the government yet, I only leave the house when absolutely necessary, and when I can't avoid it, I make sure to keep my distance from other people.

I'm very worried about my inlaws, who are in the Southern Hemisphere and heading into winter. Semi-comforted that cold weather won't make things worse for them.

I’m actually genuinely concerned if this carries on into Winter too, here in the Southern Hemisphere. It will make it harder to attain what is Covid-19 and what is the normal cold and flu.

Seeker, at the moment I only leave the house to go to work. Funny how all of a sudden, we supermarket workers are one of the most important people in Australia right now, yet people are treating us worse than before.. :confused:

Eva x

Hot weather and high humidity slow Wuhan progression . . . maybe:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-says-high-temperature-high-213034915.html

This could make it better in the Northern hemisphere in the coming months and worse in the Southern hemisphere (though they have more advanced warning to be prepared for it). Likewise, it seems like the tropics should have less of a problem. However, at this stage, I think it should be taken with a grain of salt.

S&S

I’m actually genuinely concerned if this carries on into Winter too, here in the Southern Hemisphere. It will make it harder to attain what is Covid-19 and what is the normal cold and flu.

Seeker, at the moment I only leave the house to go to work. Funny how all of a sudden, we supermarket workers are one of the most important people in Australia right now, yet people are treating us worse than before.. :confused:

Eva x

I used to work in a full service meat market and deli so I know how it feels, I've hissed at rude customers a couple of times reeeeeee.

Hi All:

The following quote was emailed to me. I had not heard of this response to a far deadlier epidemic, but it seems to be very good advice for Wuhan as well:

On facing the Black Death:

"I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me however I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God."

— Martin Luther, from his letter "Whether one may flee from a Deadly Plague" to Rev. Dr. John Hess

I love that beginning: ''I shall ask God to mercifully protect us. Then I shall fumigate . . ." ;)

S&S

Thank you a lot, S&S. This quote is so fitting.

I am currently getting a bit angry. At those people who still push in the supermarket. It is possible to keep your distance. You can go shopping during a time when there is less traffic. It is not like each single food store or supermarket would be overcrowded around the clock. Leave the usual peak times to those who have no other choice, because they are still working (which also means that they are doing an important job, like food production or medicine and must be protected at all cost).

Today my husband managed to get toilet paper (which was like a miracle). The store owners interfering with the hoarding seems to have helped. While I couldn't believe it, I asked him if the people pushed. He said yes, even though the supermarket wasn't very full. ARRRGH. HEADDESK. It is because of such people that the virus spreads faster. And that more restrictions will be necessary, like people only being allowed to shop at certain times with police and military controlling.

I stopped doing anything not absolutely necessary where I could get too close to others. So that I won't make the situation worse. "I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence....and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others... "

I want to take a moment to thank all of the participants of this thread for their kind and courteous discussion.

We are in crazy uncertain times where anxiety and panic try desperately to surface. I live on a ranch in a remote area of the American prairie; I am isolated--always isolated. My once a month trip to a city is an outing I always look forward to but will postpone for a while. Television and the internet keep me in the loop news-wise. But I've noticed that too much of the news leaves me anxious and stressed. I really have no practical fears (unless the ranch dogs bring me the virus instead of the usual stick). In my Buddhist practice and Christian upbringing, I find deep solace in all spiritual practices, particularly the Native spirituality of my great grandmothers. Yesterday I was given a podcast recommendation for a guru named, Chandresh Bhardwaj. I had never heard of him before and gave it a listen last night; It was right up my alley and struck a deep chord with me. They are pretty much what I said in an editorial piece I'd written a week ago; synchronicity blessed me again. For those who may want to give it a listen, Bhardwaj's podcast is called "Break the Norms," and it is Podcast#55 from March 17th... it shouldn't be hard to find with a Google search.

Once again, on behalf of the owners, Steve and Carol, Deb and the rest of Administrators and moderators, thank you for your kind discussion. Stay safe everyone.

Tinkerman

Last edited:
Hi Seeker,

Our local "Dollar Stores" are instituting a first in the morning hour for seniors only. It is a good step for those most likely to be seriously ill, so we can beat the crowd (of potentially infectious individuals) and also may have a chance at freshly re-stocked sanitation products. (We shop for ourselves and also for my wife's 93 year old father). Maybe the next couple of hours should be reserved for families with children.

Cordially,
S&S

It's ironic that one of our supermarkets is also advertising a 'first in the morning hour for seniors only'. However, as a senior in self-isolation for the past two weeks (government advice), that gave me a wry smile. I've been trying to get a home delivery from that same supermarket, but there are no delivery slots available at all certainly for the next 3 weeks. Nor are there any slots for 'click and collect'. Their 'helpline' is just a message to tell us the fact that food cannot be delivered or collected. Now that's really useful for isolated seniors. I rang a charity which advertises a shopping service for seniors. They had too many other people already on their books. And the kind neighbour who offered to get my shopping has forgotten all about it. Anyone have any idea what cat food tastes like??

(Seriously, I'm fine - I stocked up well in advance ... but anyone who didn't would be in a lot of trouble by now!)

A co-worker friend of mine, admitted to me yesterday that she has been tempted to wear a mask to work, because soon coming into winter, washing/sanitising our hands and even the register belt and scales, may not be enough. I have seriously considered this too, not because I’m afraid of catching it, but as you all know, some people are feral when it comes to being in a supermarket — hygiene wise.

My manager doesn’t really care if we do or not (she’s a awesome lady.. ❤️), said it’s personal choice, but I’m holding out for as long as I can before I have to wear one. As a person with Fibromyalgia, when I get a cold or flu, it takes me LONGER than the average person to recover. Am I afraid to wear one while everyone else isn’t? Yes.. yes I am. I don’t want to be seen as that paranoid one, but maybe being just a little ‘over’ paranoid, maybe the thing that stops me from getting it?

Eva x

It's ironic that one of our supermarkets is also advertising a 'first in the morning hour for seniors only'. However, as a senior in self-isolation for the past two weeks (government advice), that gave me a wry smile. I've been trying to get a home delivery from that same supermarket, but there are no delivery slots available at all certainly for the next 3 weeks. Nor are there any slots for 'click and collect'. Their 'helpline' is just a message to tell us the fact that food cannot be delivered or collected. Now that's really useful for isolated seniors. I rang a charity which advertises a shopping service for seniors. They had too many other people already on their books. And the kind neighbour who offered to get my shopping has forgotten all about it. Anyone have any idea what cat food tastes like??

(Seriously, I'm fine - I stocked up well in advance ... but anyone who didn't would be in a lot of trouble by now!)

----

Tanker, am in quarantine atm (my son came down with the dreaded persistent cough Tuesday). Today the school rang me to tell me that kids with asthma shouldn't come into school. Bit late for that, they couldn't' give me any advice when I decided to keep my kids off just in case. Anyway, we are isolating the full two weeks and none of us are that ill so far -- but after that's over, if there's ANYTHING you need, we'll get to you somehow, even if I have to send a parcel to your house. You aren't alone. Will travel if we have to.

Wuhan can present as digestive rather than respiratory difficulties and illness, and seemingly may be more severe if it initially presents in this way. So, best to be on the look-out for both:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/early-symptom-coronavirus-might-be-digestive-issues-study

S&S

PS--This is my weakness area. I don't really catch colds, etc. very much, and seem to recover easily most of the time, but I am really hammered by a stomach bug if I catch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back