• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Difficult Memories---Eastern Europe???

Jadeswan

Member
Warning: The memory below is somewhat graphic.

Recently, through guided meditation I have re-gained memories of three past lives. I've also had flashes of a couple of others. The last few days I've had strong feelings that I needed to find out about the life I lived most recently to this one. I knew I needed to explore it but had this feeling that I didn't want to do so at all. Yesterday I started having problems with my throat closing up as if I couldn't breathe and I decided it was time to be brave about it and see if I could remember anything. My husband led me through the meditation and as I asked to be taken to the place I found myself gasping for air.

I am next to a tall brick building. There is smoke in the air and a small fire in the distance. I am wearing an overlarge coat and a cap of some sort is pulled over my face. I am creeping along the side of the building. I can't breathe. The smoke is too thick and it's half blinding me. My husband's voice from the present asking questions about my age and gender and what year it is seems irrelevant and annoying. Why would anyone care about those things in a situation like this? I know I am a school teacher and the place where I teach is nearby. Perhaps I am trying to reach it but my mind is becoming confused by the smoke and the fire and I'm not even sure where I am trying to go anymore.

Suddenly out of the smoke a soldier appears. Is he on our side? I'm not even sure what "our side" and "their side" looks like. I straighten, determined to meet whatever comes with dignity. Our eyes meet and I know with certainty that he will not harm me. His eyes are squinted against the smoke and I can't even tell what color they are and yet I see something in them that makes me trust him implicitly. He takes my arm and I notice he has some sort of armband with a red cross on it. He guides me out of the smoke and to another area of town. The building is a school building for young children but it isn't being used for school right now. There are people with soot on them and other people helping them. I feel I ought to be helping someone but I can't think straight and I stumble to a chair. Across from me are some plastic school chairs. They have metal legs and are in primary colors. I can't stop staring at them. They seem so incongruous somehow. Someone brings me a blanket and says something about being in shock. My hat has fallen from my head. For just a moment my view is from the outside and I can see myself. I am a young woman in my mid to late twenties with blond, softly curling hair.

I begin to get my bearings a little bit. The kind people begin passing out food and they give me some. It is wrapped in plastic and I open it and eat some without even being aware of what it is. Near to me a baby is crying and I turn to look. Her mother is holding her and she seems exhausted. I ask her if I can hold the baby. I take the baby on my lap and I am looking at almost the exact image of my present life daughter at the age of six or seven months. I had a dream about her at that age before she was born and as she got older she looked exactly like that dream except her eyes were blue instead of brown. This baby has brown eyes. She is wearing a white dress covered with pale yellow flowers. It has a little attached apron. I hold and soothe her. Perhaps I even walk around with her. I'm not sure because what happens soon afterward erases everything from my mind. We hear a rumbling outside and suddenly a whole corner of the building is blown away. "The baby's mother is dead," I think and then everything goes black. My last conscious effort is clutching the baby as I fall.

The next thing I know I am lying on my back with rubble around me. Nearby a bloody hand sticks up from under pieces of the building. I don't want to see it. I turn away and find that the baby is beside me and she seems okay. Just her little dress is torn. She is strangely quiet though and I think she must be in shock. I half lift myself up and wrap her in my coat. We seem to be the only survivors or at least the only ones alive who haven't already fled. I feel an urge to get away from here but I am weak and confused. Once more I see the soldier emerge from the smoke. His gun and helmet are gone but he is still wearing an olive green uniform. He is crying---horrible, wracking man sobs. He helps lift me up and leads me to a vehicle of some sort, perhaps a jeep. We drive away from the destruction and out of the city. We exchange names. I am Anya, he is Piotr. I can't tell him the baby's name because I don't know what it is.

We drive and drive until we come to a small house. I think it is his grandmother's house but I'm not sure he actually said that or if I just thought it. No one is there. We go inside. The baby is crying now and I think she must be hungry. Piotr searches the pantry and finds a can of condensed milk. We feed it to her with a spoon. I have a sudden fantasy of what it would be like to be married to him and this baby be ours. I imagine giving her a bath in the kitchen sink with sunshine and laughter around us.

It is growing dark outside and we settle on the couch---Piotr at one end and I leaning against him holding the baby. We don't want to lie down on the beds. Somehow it seems as if death might come and we don't want to meet it lying down. We don't say this in so many words but we go to the couch with perfect understanding of one another. It feels safe to lean against him and I keep thinking, "This is a good man. He is a good man." Somehow it seems very important.
 
Continuation


We are awakened by sunlight streaming in through the windows. When I think about the people who died I want to scream. The sunshine seems stupid.


The baby is crying again. At first I feel exasperated but I quickly adjust it to compassion. Piotr raids the pantry again and finds a small packet of cookies on a back shelf. We give the baby one and she gnaws on it. Thinking she might be thirsty, we give her some water but she isn't very enthusiastic about it. Piotr scrounges around again---he seems to be a champion scrounger---and finds a little sugar to add to the water. She likes this better.


Piotr doesn't know where to go or what to do. He has a job to do but he doesn't want to leave us. He wants to take us somewhere safe but he doesn't know where that would be. There should always be somewhere safe. It bothers him that there's not.


What happens next happened so fast there was no time to flee. I don't know exactly what happened but the front door is hanging open and Piotr, the baby and I are standing there together like some sort of frozen, horrified family portrait. The soldiers come toward us shooting and somehow the way they run and shoot seems like a sort of dance to me---a dance of death. A spray of bullets penetrates my neck and chest but I feel no pain. I hold onto the baby no matter what. I haven't had her out of my arms since her mother handed her to me. She isn't crying and I don't look at her, only hold her as I fall sprawling across Piotr's chest. I wish I'd had a chance to know them. The last thing I see is the yellow patterned linoleum floor spattered with little drops of blood. I hear one of the soldiers who seems to be in charge say something like, "We're done here."
 
Piotr and Anya appear to be Russian or Polish names. I am not familiar with them but the name Piotr appeared in words in my mind so I'm pretty sure the spelling is right. Anya was just the sound so it could have been spelled differently. I don't know when this would have happened but it had to be more modern history because of the plastic. It could perhaps have been the sixties or seventies. It had to have been before 1979.
 
Jadeswan said:
It could perhaps have been the sixties or seventies. It had to have been before 1979.
What comes to mind is the Turkish invasion of Cypress in 1974. Many such atrocities were committed upon the Greek Cypriot population and National Guard with weapons and equipment supplied in part by the United States.
 
Nightrain, thank you for the lead. I will do some research in that direction. I am also looking into the invasion of Hungary in 1956 and the riots in Czechoslovakia in 1968. There are so many smaller countries that have a sad and brave history. I don't remember studying any of this in school yet it should not be forgotten.


Update: I believe you may have put me on the right track. I'm still researching but there are some things that seem very familiar, including the Armenian Melkonian School.
 
How heartbreaking!!! There is nothing like a mothers love...regardless if the child is yours...it sounds like you have possibly been reunited in this life.
 
Yes, TLD, I did feel a mother's love for the baby in that life even though I knew her so briefly. The dream I had would suggest that she has been reborn as my daughter. I'd always wondered why those brown eyes turned up in a dream that was otherwise so accurate. I am wondering if that past life is partly a source of some difficulties between us in this one. For one thing, I always have a nagging feeling I am failing her. Even when she was a baby she would cry and cry and I couldn't seem to make it better no matter how hard I tried. I wonder if some of that could stem from the feeling I had failed her back then by not saving her somehow.


I have found some interesting parallels between my memories and descriptions of the tragedy of the 1974 invasion of Cyprus. The only things that might not fit are the names. However, Anna is pronounced with a short "a" in the US so if it was pronounced with a long "a" it might sound like Anya to me. There are some Greek Cypriot names that are somewhat similar to Piotr but I lean towards the idea that he might have been a UN soldier. Apparently Piotr is a name also used in Denmark and Sweden and there were soldiers in Cyprus from those countries. I can't find a list of casualties, however, so I seem to be at a stand still in that regard.


In looking back over my memories it would make sense that Piotr and I didn't speak the same language. That would explain any mix-up over a grandmother. I remember us saying our names to each other but even though we spent several hours together I don't recall actually talking. I just remember knowing what he was feeling or seeing him grin and triumphantly hold up a can of milk for the baby.
 
Jadeswan said:
The only things that might not fit are the names. However, Anna is pronounced with a short "a" in the US so if it was pronounced with a long "a" it might sound like Anya to me. There are some Greek Cypriot names that are somewhat similar to Piotr but I lean towards the idea that he might have been a UN soldier.
Being from Detroit we had a large Armenian population, some of whom had come from Cypress; so, I know there were a considerable number of Armenians on Cypress, who were more persecuted than the Greeks at that time. Anya [Ah-nya] could well be Armenian, and Piotr definitely is.
 
Nightrain1 said:
Being from Detroit we had a large Armenian population, some of whom had come from Cypress; so, I know there were a considerable number of Armenians on Cypress, who were more persecuted than the Greeks at that time. Anya [Ah-nya] could well be Armenian, and Piotr definitely is.
Wow, Nightrain, I never would have discovered any of this but for you! Thank you so much. Your information about the names is very helpful. It was the one thing that confused me. I feel that I very likely was Armenian. Photos of the Melkonian school seemed so familiar to me and when I watched a dance program from that school, it gave me chills. I have been interested in belly dance for a long time but when I try it alone I never get it quite "right." Well, turns out the way I dance is closer to the way the Armenian girls danced in the program. It's a small validation but it feels very important to me nevertheless.


This memory has been the most difficult one to deal with. I had been putting off doing another past life meditation because I had a feeling it would be a traumatic experience. After I started experiencing a sensation of choking and my throat closing up I realized it was something I had to do. It has taken a day but my throat isn't choking up any more. It's all a lot to deal with though. It's probably stronger because it was my very last life before this one.
 
Back
Top