• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Does the mind really wander when we sleep? (or a possible past life in India?)

Totoro

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've been thinking a lot, since the topic of dreams and memories is an important topic here.

Many people seem to criticize them because they think that they can be easily confused with other memories and that they just aren't reliable.

I've also read that people think that your mind may wander when it sleeps and it may experience other people's dreams or that you have access to your subconscious where you past life memories are stored.

I've been having a lot of anxiety lately because of work and school and as a result, I've been having frequent early morning wakings which has interrupted my dream cycle and allowed me to remember a great deal more that I normally do.

So this morning, I had a quite interesting dream that had a strong India theme to it. For part of the dream though, I was also holding on to a board and I was floating aloft sort of like a kite. Typically I equate dreams of flying like that, or cars running off the road to being manifestations of anxiety.

But the two interesting things in the dream that happened were that a man threw a bag with a Burmese python in it at me. And the other was that I was seated in an office, awaiting my time to clock out and go home. I had with me a set of keys and I asked someone "who do I give these too?" a person answered me and said "Ranjit Singh! Of course!" and I thought to myself that was the obvious and right answer and I replied "of course, of course."

I'm not 100% sure what the symbols of keys and the snake means, but this morning, as I was reflecting on merging memories and the possibility that if the subconscious wanders, your dreams and memories may merge with those of others, I googled Ranjit Singh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranjit_Singh

I quickly brought up his Wikipedia page and was astonished to find that we share the same birthday, November 13. And from his portrait, we even look similar. However his portrait is a modern interpretation and it goes without saying that more research would be necessary to draw any final conclusions.

However knowing I had never heard the name Ranjit Singh before and I'm inclined to think it's not entirely a coincidence that I have stumbled across this either. I say that because it would seem, at least for me, the pattern of having the same birthrate is highly significant for me; as it was so far for my most previous life too.
 
Sounds like a past life memory to me. Can you describe more? Such as clothing, etc. 1849 is probably when the British moved in and set up Colonial rule. If you were told to turn the keys in to him, you may have been a subordinate or something. Maybe you all had to turn the "office" over to the British or something. I live in an area of the US that has a large Sikh population today. The Punjab had a bloody history. In 1947 I think the Punjab was divided up between India and Pakistan and that area today is the scene of conflict.
 
In the dream, it was a modern office. I don't think the dream can be interpreted literally or as a memory. As mentioned I've been under a lot of stress and before I went to bed last night, I sort of programmed myself to dream of something that would help me. I just simply asked for some sort of sign, clue or something to help show me the way forward.


I'm quite certain that many of my past lives have a military connection and that I've had many a role as a protector or just leader. In fact, I'm wondering if my life perhaps between these two (if that is the case) was as a soldier in the Boer War. I had a fleeting dream with an almost Dutch sounding name and my whole life, I've been opposed to the Debeers family. As a teenager I vowed never to buy a diamond in my life. I wonder if I was indeed there and had a moral objection to the war and occupation of South Africa.


But anyway, I haven't been able to put my finger on it, but I feel like in this life, I've gotten off track. Perhaps it's from events in this life, or being mired down from events in my previous one.


So in one way or the other, I think this is yet another hint or push, much like the discovery of my previous life, which again, is what I asked for.
 
I don't think this is a past life dream. I do, however, think it is an important one. The scary element (throwing a snake at you) is there so you will remember it. The snake is a significant symbol, you should really look into for yourself, but for now, think of how a snake sheds its skin.


You asked for help, and I think you will now get it. The keys open something, something inside of yourself. YOU had to give Ranjit Singh permission to enter (the key) although he is a bit of an authority. He will help you get "to work". (the office)


It looks to me like you just got a new spirit guide. . .
 
You're ceartianly right about the snake, I woke up after it was thrown at me. That allowed me to remember the conversation about the keys.


I think the keys are certainly an opening to a new awareness. I just have to figure out what's next.
 
To me, the symbolism of snakes and keys are significant. Also, in my mind, the name of a Sikh ruler indicates some form of connection to time or place, despite which era the dream took place. (When I read the name I got a dramatic resonance!)


Just from a historical standpoint, Rajit Singh (sp) consolidated all the sikh and some afghan provinces into one powerful empire beginning in 1800 and ending with subjugation to the British East India Company in 1845 through several tragic battles along the Sutlej river. By this time, however, Singh was dead and his survivors were trying to hold things together.


Two aspects of this society were significant...first was the Sikh's intent to have a purely secular government; they would not step on any other religion's toes and would go out of their way to respect everyone's beliefs...dramatically different than the muhommedans they dealt with daily. This is significant for the time...some of the highest positions in Singh's administration were held by hindus christians and muslims, which was unheard of, but worked until Singh's death.


Secondly, their army, the Khalsa, was the largest fighting force anywhere at the time, and some of the bravest and best disciplined. The British defeated them by NOT using the military tactics they had ingrained into the Sikhs while training them...with a much smaller force the East India Company used the Sikhs' discipline in tactics against them, skirting the main forces of the Khalsa and taking them apart from the flanks and rear.
 
Totoro, I looked again at your line of photos and I got a shouted word in my head "Khalsa-Ji!", like a rallying cry. You certainly share some distinct similarities in appearance with Ranjhit...and looking at those pics from the critical side...I absolutely cannot say the same.


While not directly addressing your original questions, it is my belief that we are "on the other side" during sleep. Our conscious mind does its best to arrange the visions of our myriad occupations while "over there" when we awaken, though despite the usual confusing kaleidoscopic view, we have obtained and retained what was actually needed. Through my explorations, I have found a great deal of overlap with lifetimes. Some come through as simultaneous lives with definite focus and critical view of a particular individual (I find I judge myself but not others regardless of their actions), though there are some which include the strong emotions I require for validation, but also do not seem to focus critically on any single being...instead I hold a compassionate view of the participants. It is the latter I understand to be times when I was acting as guidance for an incarnate being...seeing, feeling and experiencing all that that being experienced while incarnate.


I have had several lives in the Indian subcontinent, and some of them focus on individuals. Likewise, there are even more that include widespread and very compassionate views of a specific people, era and location. The consolidation of the Sikh empire you mentioned is one of those. Again...Khalsa-Ji!
 
I thought I would add this other collage of photos I had previously done of myself and Wan Rong.


According to what I've read, Ranjit's left eye was damaged after a bout of smallpox.


My left is is about 40% weaker than my right and without my glasses, the right eye nearly becomes entirely dominate. I only started wearing glasses full time about 5 years ago.


If you notice in the photos, the right eye brow is prominently raised in most of them and the left eye has sort of a droop to it. I think this due to the right eye becoming overdeveloped as it made up the difference for the weakness of the left eye.


I think that this happened because injury, defects and trauma get encoded within our souls on some basic level of energy. I think physics has clearly shown that energy and matter are interchangeable. With, in my opinion, energy being the template from which matter is formed.
 
Very interesting dream, thanks for sharing totoro!


I agree, a lot of people don't listen to their 'dreams', society has literally put a slant on the word that means 'not believable'.


Sometimes I'll have a dream that I KNOW was past life beyond question, but these are very rare. Most dreams I have set in a time of history or old locations are what I call hints. Clues, small fragments of memories, but not full blown recall. And sometimes, like what happened to you, your stressed & tired mind started to mix, past & present, literal & symbolic signs. This is where is gets more complicated, and more important you listen to how you felt as a result of the dream. Blueheart has a point. The dream is certainly important, and symbolic. But of what, remains to be seen. Make sure you write it down, as the symbols, the keys, snake, etc. may make more sense to you down the road. Many of my dreams make more sense later! :)
 
I had a sudden thought or connection today that reminded me of this thread. When I was about 20, I was at a girls boutique with a friend of mine (that was a girl) when I saw a bracelet I really just liked. It was made of solid metal and was a sort of rounded square shape and it struck me as being really cool. It was in a clearance bin for 50 cents, so I figured I'd just buy it. I'm not typically the kind of person to buy anything like that as the only jewelry I've every worn has been a watch.


I had totally forgotten about the bracelet until i was in the car today on the way home and it struck me that its similar to the metal bracelets that are worn by Sikhs.


Lady, you're absolutely right! The symbol of the keys has been revealed to me :laugh: It was actually a literal occurrence. As of Jan 10th, I left my old job to take another one higher up within the college. The keys that I saw in my dream were the ones I used at my old job. On my last day, I wasn't sure what to do with them and I had asked my boss, "who do I give these to?" And no, she didn't say Ranjit Singh. :laugh:


I did some searching on the meaning of the snake and from what I've read, it's a helpful symbol, meaning that you're getting some help, healing or some sort of knowledge. The way it was thrown at me was quite significant. It startled me awake actually and think that was important for me to do to be able to remember the name and the rest of the dream. So I think quite certainly the throwing of the snake meant "hey get ready, here comes some important information!"


Here's something I read about it that was interesting..


http://www.asdreams.org/dreamnews/2010_04/index.htm
 
Back
Top