• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

I don't really know where to begin with this but I believe I was Indian in my past life?

Hi I am rather new to this forum, and also I must admit a bit of a noob regarding the subject of past life and reincarnation.

But ever since I was a child I could remember having visions of a place that I now believe to be India. Visions I remember specifically always seem to be me walking through the same Marketplace in a busy street. When I had visions of this place I felt a deep connection like this is where I was meant to be.

As I got older I started feeling a deep connection with the culture of India and its people. I suppose this is not a normal feeling for your average white girl living in America. When I moved out of my parents home I took it upon myself to start learning the cuisine of India and when I started cooking the cuisine it became second nature like I have been doing this all my life.

It was then I considered the possibility of past life and reincarnation. again like I said I really don't know if this is all connected or if there's any way to confirm my belief.

Maybe this all sounds stupid and crazy to you seasoned forum members, but I really don't know what to make of this. any suggestions?

Hi Cotton Cloudy,

It is not stupid, this is how a search begins.
The problem with a former life in India is ... it is so difficult to verify 'facts'. The local cultures are very divers, so many languages and religions. Second problem is that you probably lived a cluster of lives in India, and in case you get spontaneous memories, they can interfere with each other without you noticing it. And make you more confused.

I don't have great suggestions for you. I've got the same problem as you: don't know where to start about India. The only difference is that I once just went to the country, even found one of my soulmates (magic!) living there. I made a lot of soul connections with places and people, but I still I cannot make a story out of it. (Apart from re-finding a former husband). I don't even know what religion I had there (I guess different in many multiple lives).

Perhaps you can ask Google for help, maybe start to find the type of clothes you are attracted to. Or regions, cities....

One thing you can try is to meditate and then hold the busy marketplace in your mind and "see what is connected to that life". I always ask my guides (higher self/angels) for help and to only bring me memories I can handle as I am now. This works best if you're open from the heart and mind to learn anything about that life, even if it doesn't fit the expectations you may have.

My experience with this was a big shock, since I wasn't the gender I expected to be or in the kind of relationship I'd have imagined at the time. Often the most random and "unrealistic" elements turn out to be key links, so don't hesitate to write anything down, no matter how "crazy" it sounds. I've had multiple occasions where a memory I thought proved I was just imagining things turned out to be an actual object or cultural element at the time.

Remember that memories aren't always visual. Sometimes you have an emotion, a sound or voice, a download of information like someone is telling you about it, a visual experience, or even touch, scent, and taste (though I think taste tends to seem familiar more in daily life, like with your cooking). So don't shut down your senses when you do this, and be prepared for anything. You might even get a completely different life. That's why it's helpful to take notes. Eventually things start adding up and you'll even get a sense of where and when you are with new memories at times.

After a couple years of accumulating fragments, I'm realizing I probably have at least two Japanese lives. At first I thought all my memories were tied to only one avatar, but some seem incompatible. *shrug* It's hard to know because people travel and live in various places, too.

Keep an open mind and enjoy the process. You don't have to come to firm conclusions. In fact, it's probably easier to remember when you're not completely certain what to expect. What you're experiencing sounds like a past life affinity to me. You won't lose anything by exploring that theory as the rest of us do. Most of us have felt a little crazy at times, but this is a common experience. You're pretty normal after all. *grin*

One thing you can try is to meditate and then hold the busy marketplace in your mind and "see what is connected to that life". I always ask my guides (higher self/angels) for help and to only bring me memories I can handle as I am now. This works best if you're open from the heart and mind to learn anything about that life, even if it doesn't fit the expectations you may have.

My experience with this was a big shock, since I wasn't the gender I expected to be or in the kind of relationship I'd have imagined at the time. Often the most random and "unrealistic" elements turn out to be key links, so don't hesitate to write anything down, no matter how "crazy" it sounds. I've had multiple occasions where a memory I thought proved I was just imagining things turned out to be an actual object or cultural element at the time.

Remember that memories aren't always visual. Sometimes you have an emotion, a sound or voice, a download of information like someone is telling you about it, a visual experience, or even touch, scent, and taste (though I think taste tends to seem familiar more in daily life, like with your cooking). So don't shut down your senses when you do this, and be prepared for anything. You might even get a completely different life. That's why it's helpful to take notes. Eventually things start adding up and you'll even get a sense of where and when you are with new memories at times.

After a couple years of accumulating fragments, I'm realizing I probably have at least two Japanese lives. At first I thought all my memories were tied to only one avatar, but some seem incompatible. *shrug* It's hard to know because people travel and live in various places, too.

Keep an open mind and enjoy the process. You don't have to come to firm conclusions. In fact, it's probably easier to remember when you're not completely certain what to expect. What you're experiencing sounds like a past life affinity to me. You won't lose anything by exploring that theory as the rest of us do. Most of us have felt a little crazy at times, but this is a common experience. You're pretty normal after all. *grin*

Hi thanks for your reply and awesome suggestions. With this I feel like I can begin to piece together some of the puzzle.

How did you discover a past life in Japan? I am interested to hear your stories.

Hi Cotton Cloudy,

It is not stupid, this is how a search begins.
The problem with a former life in India is ... it is so difficult to verify 'facts'. The local cultures are very divers, so many languages and religions. Second problem is that you probably lived a cluster of lives in India, and in case you get spontaneous memories, they can interfere with each other without you noticing it. And make you more confused.

I don't have great suggestions for you. I've got the same problem as you: don't know where to start about India. The only difference is that I once just went to the country, even found one of my soulmates (magic!) living there. I made a lot of soul connections with places and people, but I still I cannot make a story out of it. (Apart from re-finding a former husband). I don't even know what religion I had there (I guess different in many multiple lives).

Perhaps you can ask Google for help, maybe start to find the type of clothes you are attracted to. Or regions, cities....
Hi there, thanks for the suggestions! I have pondered the same problem about India, but you bring up an interesting point I never considered the possibility of more than one past life.

Something else I forgot to include in the main thread was that I always felt a deep need to be vegetarian. I remember as a child begging my parents to let me be vegetarian but they would not let me. I couldn't explain why I wanted to be vegetarian I just felt the need to.

I didn't find out until years later that India is mostly a vegetarian country it is a small thing but I figure maybe this has some sort of connection to my past life? Currently now I am vegan and feel happier that I am.

Hi Cotton Cloudy

Welcome to the forum.

Doesn't sound the least bit crazy or stupid. This is a pretty common experience really but most people don't realise they are having past life flashbacks.

If you want to find out more about it all, have a look in the FAQ section for a start. There is a lot of helpful information in there and tips about how to find out more.

People usually remember moments that were significant in some way, so I would not be surprised if something important happens in this scene in the market. As others have said, when you have some quiet time, try closing your eyes and relaxing and just going into the market scene. Get it as clear as you can - the sounds, the smells, the dust, the details. When you are focused, ask yourself what happened next? Just go with the first thing that comes. It's usually right. Don't expect it to be all clear and crisp like a movie. It may be just vague impressions, feelings, or a couple of words. Think about that feeling that this is where 'you are meant to be'. It might be an important clue. Were you going to meet someone? What was happening? All the answers are in there somewhere, it's just a matter of clearing away the 'debris' so you can find them.

Start keeping a journal. As you explore more you may find that a whole lot of stuff comes up all at once. You may have more dreams about it, or things may occur to you throughout a normal day when you are not thinking about it in particular. Write it all down even if it does not appear to make sense at first. After a while the pieces will usually start to fit into a pattern.

Last edited:
I never considered the possibility of more than one past life.

Hi Cotton Cloudy,

I cannot say you didn't, but the chances are high. India is not a place just to pop in, and leave again. It always has been a reincarnation oriented society, and combine this with the assumption that we reincarnate in groups, and groups only move slowly.
India is fantastic, so diverse, I can even imagine souls that have never left India, life after life, because you can experience anything there a soul can ever want to experience. Except... leaving it all. I know my soul consiously left the systems there, and I presume yours too.
If you want to understand your former lives in India, you need to consider your current life as well. Why did you leave? What do you experience now that you couldn't experience there? What were your internal decisions? In my case my dislikes are always strong indicators too. Before I went to India in person, I disliked the country, in some sort of way made me angry. But now I know I was finished there, and I am reconciled with everything.

Tanguerra's advice about keeping a journal is very good. Sometimes it can take years to understand the bits and pieces. I do it in two ways: a handwritten journal, for writing down dreams while I am still in bed or sitting in a chair, and several documents in Google docs. Sometimes it is easier to write with a keyboard, and.... you can paste pictures found on the internet that trigger you. Working on the computer makes it also easier to sort out memories, and paste fragments in different categories and documents.

I know how difficult it is just to enter the field of vague feelings (but also fun). I wonder if you have a preference for particular Indian dishes. South India is hot and spicy, in the North the food is less spicy and softer. Do you like the typical streetfoods? No meat at all leaves out the muslim communities. What about unions and garlic? (Brahmans don't eat that). Do you instinctively know how to eat with your hands? Do you know how to sleep without a matrass?

Do you feel attracted to one of the particular 'gods' in hinduism? That can be a clue. Does the concept or Shiv(a) rings a bell?

The Sihks are strictly vegetarian. Different clothing, look them up with Google.

Good luck!

edit: Sorry, my experience was/is that Sihks are strictly vegetarian, but I looked it up just now, and I learned that they sometimes eat meat.

Last edited:
Hi there, thanks for the suggestions! I have pondered the same problem about India, but you bring up an interesting point I never considered the possibility of more than one past life.

Something else I forgot to include in the main thread was that I always felt a deep need to be vegetarian. I remember as a child begging my parents to let me be vegetarian but they would not let me. I couldn't explain why I wanted to be vegetarian I just felt the need to.

I didn't find out until years later that India is mostly a vegetarian country it is a small thing but I figure maybe this has some sort of connection to my past life? Currently now I am vegan and feel happier that I am.

That definitely can be an indicator of an Indian PL. Many Hindus are vegetarians. Especially the more devout. I'm a Hindu Indian. Feel free to ask me anything :)

Back